$239.99 Phone but only get back $22 Credit?

tj_games

I have had my phone, a Galaxy J7, for about 2 years now and I wanted to get an upgrade since my phone has been fully paid off.

A total of $239.99

Come to find out if I traded it in for credit I would only receive $22 of credit for a perfect condition working phone.

Zero damage practically new. $22 won't even cover close to the cost of most of the phones at T-Mobile.

They would make close to $217.99 (not including tax) from my device, and look at this situation from my point of view would you trade in a perfectly functional phone worth $239.99 for a $22 deductible off the down payment of a new device? I spent $239.99 of my hard earned money just to end up wasting $217.99

So my question is would it be easier to sell my phone and keep the sims card in order to use that money to buy a new one since its fully paid off?

All replies

• dc5fan

Re: $239.99 Phone but only get back $22 Credit?

I have a T-Mobile LG Stylo 3 Plus. With the SIM card I paid $278 on Dec 30, 2017. I just checked SWAPPA, and its worth $105. Yours is worth $135. Come Dec 30, 2018 I am going to request an unlock. My phone is in excellent shape with an extra battery, plug in charger for the battery, and some other items. Me, I will probably sell it to an individual. $22 is a poor amount. Just thought I would give you my 2 cents worth. Perhaps some members with more knowledge on this may drop by. Take care!

• smplyunprdctble

TECHNICALLY, the phone isn't worth 239.99.

It's worth 239.99 minus depreciation.  The same reason you don't get the cost you paid for your car back when you trade it in.  And, computers / electronics depreciate fairly quickly with the new technology coming in (when the WiiU came out, the value of my Wii plummeted.  The laptop I spent $1500 two years ago barely is worth $200 now.  The car I spent $25k [plus interest] has a KBB value of $7k five years later.  In fact, the only thing I have that hasn't gone down in value is my home, and that's because I've been one of the lucky ones when I purchased).

I don't know what kind of algorithm T-Mobile uses for trade-in, but, as with cars, it's always recommended to search for trade-in options.  As mentioned above, some places give a better trade-in value than others.  Also, if you're planning on selling it on your own, it's worth more as an unlocked device than a carrier-locked device.

• tmo_mike_c

With the phone being paid off, you're welcome to sell the device if you want or trade it in. You have options. Of course, we want you to do what's best for you. Do you have any additional questions we can help with or have you made your decision?