BYOD Video Calling

magenta5704350

Is the Video Calling feature on branded handsets a feature of the network or device manufacturer?  I have never used a branded device, but recently bought the Moto e5 play for my daughter and noticed the video call icon in the contacts/dailer and also other people have it on their samsung devices, but I have been unable to determine if they can call each other being on the same network, or if 2 handsets from the same manufacturer on different networks can video call each other using the built in dailers.

Secondly, are those of us purchasing BYOD devices able to utilize the video calling feature on T-Mobile?  I'm currently using a OnePlus 6.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: BYOD Video Calling

Looking at most of our T-Mobile devices, the video calling is done through Skype. Keep in mind, the video calling on Non-T-Mobile phones may be different. You'll want to take a look at the user guide or a simulator for you phone for more details on how it works for your phone specifically. You will need a solid data connection as well in order for the service to work.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there.

Just checking to see if you have any other questions about video calling. Please let us know.

• magenta5704350

After some research, it looks like it is an OS and dialer software specific to the carrier.  Since i'm using an unlocked phone that doesn't get the T-Mobile specific OS updates and not using the T-Mobile updated dialer software, my phone will not be eligible to use this feature and will instead have to continue to use downloaded software from the play store.

• tmo_mike_c

That's one of the tricky parts with BYOD. Features like T-Mobile video calling are designed to work on devices with T-Mobile branded devices and we don't have a way to integrate that software on Non-T-Mobile phones. I do appreciate you coming back and keeping us updated.