NO Network Coverage?

derkraut

I'm an old man with an old Nokia 2720 Legacy Pay-as-you-go plan.  I live in San Diego, and have used this phone to make and receive calls within the USA for many years.  A week ago, we departed on a road trip from SAN to ND.  When we were about 100 miles away from home, our phone will not work ("no network coverage").  Using my laptop and Internet, I contacted T-Mobile Customer Care.  The person there told me to CALL Customer Support (right after I explained that my phone does not have network coverage).  So...here I am in North Dakota with no phone.  HELP?!!

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: NO Network Coverage?

The Nokia 20720 is an old dual-band 2G GSM flip phone. You really need to get a more modern phone. I'm amazed that it works at all. T-Mobile is about the only network that this phone will have any service on. It won't work on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. You may have been used to having your phone roam on AT&T when you were out of T-Mobile service but AT&T shut down their 2G network. T-Mobile's new sites are almost all LTE with a few being 3G, but they are not adding any new 2G coverage. In rural areas T-Mobile will be relying on 600 & 700 MHz LTE (bands 71 & 12) for coverage.

• derkraut

Thank you for your response; I appreciate it.  I will purchase an updated

phone,  When I do, can I still use Pay-as-you-go, and transfer my present

balance to the new phone?

Neil Bettenhausen

• drnewcomb2

I'd say that you can just move your old SIM to the new phone but the old SIM is probably a mini-SIM and the new phone probably uses a nano-SIM. What you'll need to do is to call Customer Service and request a SIM swap. You'll need to have the number of the new SIM when you make the call. If the old SIM has a punch-out section about 1/2"x1/2" you might be able to fit the old SIM in the new phone.