Liberia - Why No Data?

magenta5677371

I just traveled to Liberia for three days and have T Mobile ONE and the website promises voice AND unlimited data at 2G speeds.  I get there and there is only one phone provider to connect to and I couldn’t get data.  I call T Mobile and learn they have no agreement with the provider to allow T Mobile users in Liberia to get data!

So why the false advertising on the web site saying I’d have data in Liberia?  I never have any problems when I travel to Europe.  Only to Africa.  Why is that?

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Liberia - Why No Data?

Data

Text

Talk

T-Mobile ONE and Simple Choice North America

Unlimited texting and data is included at no extra cost (qualifying credit required).

Unlimited

Unlimited

$0.25/min

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • magentatechie

As far as why you aren't able to get the data in Liberia, there are so many variables involved as to why you're not able to pick it up.  What kind of phone are you using?  Do you have data roaming on? Did you dial #RON#?

• tmo_lauren

Just checking in on the info you were offered above.

-Lauren

• pdv4455

TMobile,

I am currently in Liberia now and having the same issues. Everywhere I go, whether in densely populated city centers of Monrovia to remote areas like Bong county, I only get "Orange LBR." However, I cannot send/receive data. I recently switched to TMobile and specifically checked online through your website and spoke with the Tmobile store agent who assured me that I'd get 2G data. The only place where I got a text message without connecting to wifi was when I turned my phone back after the airplane landed with a Tmobile "Welcome to Liberia! Your T-Mobile plan gives you unlimited data up to 2G speeds" blah blah blah.

This is very frustrating and I've had to purchase a hotspot and sim card to work when away from wifi. Is there another way to utilize the advertised free 2G? What does dialing #RON# do? Any help would be appreciated.

• drnewcomb2

When roaming, you're largely dependent on the roamed carrier and their connection to your home carrier. So, it's possible that the connection between the Liberian carriers and T-Mobile is not all that spiffy. I'd first use a ping utility to see if you have any internet connection at all. Be sure that your phone's data roaming is enabled (in the network settings). Try switching carriers. If that fails, to reach T-Mobile Customer Care when you’re roaming internationally, dial the plus sign followed by 1-505-998-3793 from your mobile phone. It's a free call from your T-Mobile phone.

• magentatechie

pdv4455, I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues as well.  What kind of phone do you have?  That can make a difference as to what kind of bands you're able to receive.  Also, make sure that you have your data roaming turned on.  #RON# also works to turn on international data roaming so give it a try and let us know if it helps.

• pdv4455

Thanks for the responses. I have an iPhone SE. My data roaming is turned on. I dialed #RON# and it gave me a message confirming that it was on. I haven't tried a ping utility but when I try to go to any website off wifi, I'll be greeted with a - you must be connected to the internet message. There are no other carriers other than "Orange LBR" when I search. However, my colleagues (who have AT&T) get "Orange LBR" and "Lonestar."

Any other suggestions? If I call the T-Mobile international customer service, does T-Mobile just pay the local carrier so I don't get billed? Thanks.

• drnewcomb2

The two carriers currently operating in Liberia are Orange and Lonestar. Your iPhone SE should have all the bands you need to roam whatever's available. So, you should see both carriers. Not sure if T-Mobile roams both but your phone should be able to see them.

The call to T-Mobile customer service should be free when dialed from your T-Mobile phone, either on the cellular network or WiFi calling. It's not free from some other phone, like a landline.

When you are roaming the cellular network, what shows up where the signal level indicator is located? (e.g. "LTE", "G", "E", "H", "3G", etc.)

• pdv4455

Next to my reception signal, it's just "Orange LBR." No LTE, G, E, 3G, etc...

• drnewcomb2

The lack of any signal indicator (e.g. G, E, 3G, etc.) indicates to me that one of the following conditions exists:

1. Data roaming is turned off in your phone's settings. You've checked this.
                                  2. Data roaming is disabled in your account. Call T-Mobile to check this.
                                  3. There is a general failure of T-Mobile's ability to data roam in Liberia. Call T-Mobile to check on this.

I am also concerned about your phone's inability to see the  "Lonestar" network. I don't know about Cellcom. I didn't know there was a network by that name in Liberia, altho it is often found in developing countries. When was the last time your phone was rebooted? Have you data roamed successfully in other countries?

• stevetjr

I wonder if this could be that whole IPv4 vs IPv6 issue that used to be more common of a problem where you would have to go in and change the APN to the old epc.tmobile.com;  But if I remember correctly Apple locked users out of the APN settings which in some countries Apple users were having issues that Android users could get around by changing the APN.

• APN: Fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)
                                      • APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 or IPv4 only when roaming internationally
                            • magentatechie

So neither of you see Cellcom as an option when manually searching for a network?