Calls and messages not working

nnunez467

I recently bought a Galaxy S6 Edge online and proceed to buy an unlock code as the device was previously from AT&T. I successfully unlocked it and placed my T-Mobile SIM card into the phone. The SIM card didn't seem to call, message, or use mobile data. After tweaking the APN in accordnace to AT&T's settings however, I got the mobile data to work. The call and messages still do not work and I am at a loss on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

All replies

• nnunez467

Re: Calls and messages not working

After tweaking the APN settings in accordance to T-MOBILE's settings*

My mistake.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, nnunez467 !

I'm hoping that by now your S6 Edge is able to make/receive calls and texts. If for some reason you're still in the same boat, try updating your device to these settings (if different that the ones you already tried): BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings If you're still not able to make or receive calls, your SIM may not be active and you'll want to Contact Us.

Was the mobile data only working when connected to WiFi? It's super odd that only data would be working.

• nnunez467

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to look over my established issue. Truthfully, I had given up hope as I've found multiple threads on this website where customer support can only do so much until users realize T-Mobile simply does not actually support unlocked phones. It seems to be a relatively common issue where T-Mobile SIMS are placed into unlocked devices but they simply are not compatible.

The device I unlocked still is not able to make calls, I've updated all the settings (APN/BYOD) but when I attempt to make calls, the device simply stays silent until it hangs up. The mobile data works just fine so I've been using WhatsApp to get by (calls and messages work fine on the app). I did manage to make a call once when I chose to "return senders call" from my voicemail, other than that, messages and calls are not available.

I have yet to call customer support as I only have my device's T-Mobile issued phone number and SIM card, other documentation is with another family member which I can't reach, I perceive customer support will need it to aid with my new device. 

• tmo_amanda

Thanks for getting back to me, nnunez467. You're right, some unlocked devices will not function properly on our network which is why we do advise of this:

Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer

T-Mobile is unable to guarantee devices from other carriers or those without T-Mobile software will work on our network. For additional details, see the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer.

That being said, we want to do our best to understand why your phone isn't functioning at all on our network. Have you tried putting your SIM in a T-Mobile device yet? What zip code are you primarily using the phone in? Have you traveled more than 10-15 miles away from your primary location to see if there's any improvement?