Trying to get a device unlock

magenta5645129

I was given a financially-eligible T-Mobile device by a friend. This friend tried to get it unlocked, and has a case number from T-Mobile. They were promised the unlock would happen in 24-48 hours, but it's more than 96 hours and the Device Unlock app on the phone still says the phone is locked and "Device not recognized by your service provider. Please call customer care." This friend will soon be out of reach and I want to get this unlock processed so I can use this device with another carrier.

I am not a current T-Mobile customer.

Can someone from T-Mobile PM me and help get some movement on this?

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Trying to get a device unlock

Your friend is going to have to call about this since you're not a customer.

• magenta5645129

T-Mobile, do you have any employees monitoring this thread? I would like to send the case number privately, as it wasn't worked as the account holder requested.

• gramps28

The Tmobile reps on this board don't have access to

customer records so they won't be able to help you.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi magenta5645129  and I'm super bummed you're having this much trouble with getting the phone unlocked. It's usually a pretty easy process, so this isn't the norm. gramps28 is correct by mentioning that the account holder would need to be involved in order to get the device unlocked. See, the terms on the link posted above need to be met in order for the phone to be unlocked. You'll definitely wanna give that case number to the friend if you haven't already as they'll want to reach out to our Care team to get more info on the status of this. I am an employee that does manage this site, but we have dedicated teams with account access that'll need to take over further in order to get you the help you need. You can reach out to our social media team called T-Force. They have the account access needed to investigate what's going on with the case number you have. They can be reached using the FB or Twitter links on our Contact Us. You should have your friend contact them and even link them to this thread so they know what's going on. I'm super sorry this has been such a hassle but I feel like T-Force is the best bet on getting this taken care of.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magenta5645129

Unfortunately, this is not helpful. The friend is traveling and not in a position to help. As far as she is concerned, she did her bit by calling T-Mobile and obtaining a case number. The people on Facebook did not do anything helpful with it.

Why is it that a device that was

1. Purchased outright
                    2. Is no longer in use on T-Mobile's network
                    3. Not reported stolen

is still enslaved to T-Mobile yet not actually logged in the system in a way that allows unlock using the approved method? Does T-Mobile have some financial interest in those shady online providers who promise to unlock phones for a fee?

Would it help if I opened a complaint with the FCC?

• gramps28

The  FCC won't do anything since Tmobile is using the FCC's guidelines for their requirements to

unlock phones.

• tmo_mike_c

If all the requirements are met, your friend shouldn't have any issues with unlocking the device. When requests are filed, there are details about it that are logged so the person they spoke can give them info about the request. Did the friend mention any specifics on how the conversation when when they contacted our social media team?

• magenta5645129

She provided the case number, which I'm trying to get someone to look into, but here and on Facebook I encounter only walls.

I assume she called 611.

My guess is that the support people she reached assumed she wanted to unlock her current device (which was also purchased outright), because obviously the device she gifted to me isn't setup to be unlocked.

Since this model of phone uses the T-Mobile Device Unlock app, there are no details to supply to her or to me - it's all backend setup so that it can receive and apply an unlock code through that app.

• tmo_mike_c

I'm sorry you're running into trouble getting this phone unlocked but I want to be clear and help you out. Have you and your friend looked over the terms about unlocking the device to make sure all the requirements are met? The only way we can get the phone unlocked for you is making sure those requirements are met. Another thing I'm not 100% clear on is exactly what you or your friend were told when you gave them this case number?

• magenta5645129

My friend was given a case number from T-Mobile telephone support. I supplied it to the alleged T-Mobile people watching Facebook, but they completely sidestepped doing anything useful with it. I hope you're not going to do the same thing.

The phone was purchased outright. There should be zero financial encumbrance for the unlock.

Will you please PM me so I can send you the case number she received and the IMEI of this device, and will you then see to it that the case is worked properly?

• gramps28

The Tmobile reps don't have access to billing so tmo_mike_c won't be able to look up the ticket number which

is why he sent you to facebook.

Maybe your friend left an outstanding bill and that's why it wasn't unlocked? Just a thought but what I don't understand is why

she won't contact Tmobile through facebook for you to fix this issue and get the phone unlocked for you.

• tmo_mike_c

I sent you a private message. I'll see what I can dig up on this but as mentioned above, I won't have access to your account or your friends account. Our folks at Facebook and Twitter as well as our Care team over the phone would need to get involved to check the account. I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I can't stress enough that in order to get the phone unlocked, you'll need to meet all the requirements on our Unlock your mobile wireless device page. I encourage that you read over it and make sure you understand it.