Note 5 vs Note 8

dhubjr

Just upgraded to Note 8 from a Note5 60 days ago. I have now lost coverage in about 40 percent of the places I used to be able to use the phone. Per support have tried  hanging network settings with no luck and factory reset phone/Android. Have new Note 8 and am supposed to give it a week then call them back but I can already tell things aren't going to be better. If it helps, my son went from an S6 to an S8 last year and went back to S6 because if same issue. Help!!

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Note 5 vs Note 8

Wow, dhubjr, that's super interesting that moving to the S8 or Note 8 has heavily impacted your coverage. It sounds like you've done a great deal of troubleshooting and the reset didn't help either. How far away from your home have you traveled and still noticed the signal degradation? Do you lose signal all together or do you just notice slower speeds? Lastly, can you share with me what zip code you frequent?

• tmo_amanda

Hey, dhubjr!

Just stopping by to see if you've looked over my reply from earlier this week. If you're still having issues, please reply to the questions I asked.

• dhubjr

This is not about tower locations. I have a tmobile rep calling me tomorrow after a week of testing the replacement phone. My Note5 had 40 percent more coverage than the Note8's on the same roads and places I use and go to every week for years.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Tmobile abandoning the lower GSM frequencies and pushing voice and SMS into the higher LTE frequencies that work great in larger towns and cities but leave rural customers out in the cold. My son has an S6 and we are going to visit several places together and note the signal strength and data speed differences between the two phones.

• shelbyfan

Not sure about the specifics but about 18 months ago many of the outlying areas lost about 80% of data coverage. LTE would be running 30mps now it is less than 1mps. It's not just Samsung, friends with iPhones have said the same thing. If I didn't have a Verizon phone for work I would have to switch. TMO has ruined their network.

• androidz32015

Have you noticed this if you updated to Oreo 8.0? Funny thing still have my note 4 lol and still works like a charm, it's old and ugly but it sure works still on lollipop version but Oreo could have a affect, I was on 7.1.1 and worked perfect till Oreo I blamed t mobile st first but nope, it's Samsung t mobile gets the update from Samsung have you noticed a decline in battery life on your note 8 at all?? Mine goes down 40% in 3 hours using nothing on it, with closing all apps etc. Not to sure on note 9 if it has oreo I hope it gets android P. Good luck on your note 8, keep the note 5 they make great back-up emergency phones.

• dhubjr

I had the battery drain issues with certain updates on the Note 5 but so far not with the 8. The bottom line is I am told by Tmo support their should be no difference in signal strength between the two phones and there is. And having done computer support for my entire adult life I know that if I am experiencing these issues so are others. Whether Tmo or Samsung someone knows about this. There are many similar complaints on android developer forums. This is a known issue and has been for over a year. Frustrated does not begin to describe how I feel at the moment.

• androidz32015

I feel your frustration since android naugut not sure on the spelling but since naugut I've noticed issues with android, this is why I dumped Apple 5 years ago now android oh my now what. But yes that's true note 5 and 8 should be great reception my note 4 does great,  my note 8 is ok but was better on android 7.1.1 naugut, but batter is terrible on Oreo 8.0. But I do agree with you, something has to be done with all the issues the past year and complaints on forums it's hard to where to point the finger at?? Not just  Samsung it's LG and others as well too, apples iOS 11 was a huge disaster too, all we can do is just hope a nice update will be here soon but I'm going to get a Google pixel 3 xl in October from Google a factory unlocked. My Google pixel 2 xl works exelent on t mobile. And Google devices get the fresh newest updates, the Google pixel 3 xl will have android P let's hope android P will success us, but samsung won't get android P till next spring so note 9 I'll pass, I'm not liking  Oreo. But the forums and other information I reads points all Google devices coming this late summer into fall point to having android P so hopefully that works out for all of us, Oreo is a huge failure to me, but good luck I do feel your frustration at the moment what you mention and I agree with you on this..

• dhubjr

I don't have to travel from my home 1 step to notice a difference. The Note 5 had Wifi calling enabled with cellular as the preferred connection and it never once flipped over to Wifi calling when home. Even in my windowless basement. The Note 8 flips to Wifi calling on and off all day now in rooms on any level. I notice the difference now just a half mile from my home and in multiple locations throughout Western Kenosha county where the Note 5 had reception and this phone does not. I have 3 lines on my account and do not want to switch companies but something is horribly wrong when we are afraid to upgrade our phones. Again, this is not only an issue with my Note 8. My son had the same issue when he went to an S8 from an S6 late last year.

• tmo_chris

We would like to take a closer look at some of these locations to see what could be cause the signal issues. If you have a moment, please contact us so that our tech care folks can pull up some exact addresses and open up support tickets if necessary.