Hotspot as internet substitute

dragon1562

Hi everyone, this summer I have been working as a technician for a company called Nellcom. One of the clients we served runs a apple farm and only has access to Verizon's DSL service. Do to him being at the end of were the wires are ran his speeds are both horrendous and unstable. The thing I wanted to confirm however as a solution for his situation was the viability of relying on the T-mobile network to get his equipment connected. T-mobile pulls about 50-75mb down over LTE on this location. He has about 6 devices that will need to be connected at all times. What I was hoping to do was just get him the T-mobile International plan which includes unlimited hotspot data and then find ether a router that has a sim slot or get a phone to share the connection. What are my options here any insight is appreciated.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Hotspot as internet substitute

Unless he uses less than about 20gb per month, I wouldn't suggest it. After a certain amount of usage the data will get de prioritized and might be pretty slow. Cellular connections are not really a viable replacement for home internet services.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dragon1562

His usage is around 50-100Gb a month. I know that 50Gb is the soft cap and that even with depriotization it will be more reliable than the speed he gets now. He currently gets at max 2mb down which is just unusable. However, when at the location it was 0.5mb. I ended up using my hotspot data to download the drivers for a printer we were installing for him on location. I will say though that with better internet he will surely use more data as we have Castle Backup setup on his server and it regularly makes back ups of files that are added. There really is not any options at all for him. Comcast refuses to extend their service and Verizon DSL is the only game in town for him besides some satellite options. He is right beside a tower though so cell service is incredible at this location with T-mobile and some other carriers. I wanted to pitch T-mobile first ofcourse since they have the best plan to suit his needs and are my preferred company to recommend.

• theartiszan

I guess just my main point is to say that any cellular service is not meant to be a replacement for land line services. It is worth a try, but he would really need to keep an eye on the usage. I haven't had it happen to me, but I have heard stories that of people that had high usage monthly (over 100gb) over a few months, they did have their service cancelled. Worth a try if it is that bad for him. Worst case scenario, he can reactivate the dsl service.

• gramps28

That 50Gb can be changed anytime fyi.

• magenta2685614

If he uses less than 20 GB/month, it's ok but if you are looking for more than that as a reliable constant 24-7-multiple-device-connection, I wouldn't go with the T-Mobile hotspot.  The MI (mobile internet only plans) only go to 22 GB / month (at $90/monthly, without autopay), and if you over-use the wifi connection on a standard T-Mobile ONE plan with unlimited hotspot ($75 without autopay for one line, which is, I'm assuming, where you're going since you mentioned having a soft limit of 50 GB), you may be subject to disconnection due to overuse. 

• zamakli

Need to replace Clear Internet service. Several vendors have promised but not delivered. I have a remote sensor that needs a static IP, so I can login to monitor. Hotspots have been suggested, do not have a static IP. Ideas? Thanks