Tourist plan with Note II

magenta5505732

Hello,

I will be visiting the US for couple of weeks. I am planning to buy the Tourist Plan (mostly for internet use). I have a Samsung Note2. When I checked T-Mobile site it says Note2 is not compatible with LTE. Does this mean my phone won't work ?

Thanks

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Tourist plan with Note II

It depends on the exact model of the Note II and where you plan to use it. From the specs I see on GSMarena.com, it won't work very well because bands do not align with what T-Mobile uses.

• magenta5505732

Thanks for the response. It is Samsung Galaxy Note II (GT-N7100). It works on

GSM:850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz

3G/HSDPA: 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz

Would it work??

• drnewcomb2

Not so well, particularly in some markets. T-Mobile has been optimizing their network for LTE and depreciating HSPA. What this means is that if they own contiguous blocks of spectrum, up to 20x20 MHz in a market, that will be dedicated to LTE. If there's some odd, left-over block of 5x5 MHz someplace, they will stick HSPA there, regardless of the impact on people with some devices. There are many people who have devices like your Note II that are capable of HSPA-1900 (band 2) but not band-4. These can end up being relegated to 2G-only service, which is even more depreciated than HSPA. In some markets, 2G has been reduced to a vestigial service running a few channels in the LTE guard-bands. I would not even attempt to use your Note II in New York City. In some other markets, where HSPA is running on band-2, it should work fine.

If you check this map at the locations you plan to visit  and click on the exact location, it will list the signals provided. If it doesn't say "UMTS 1900" you can expect a painful experience. If it doesn't say either "UMTS 1900" or "GSM 1900" you can expect no service at all.