New S9/S9+ Update MIA Again?

magenta2989621

Hey tmo_nic there was a large update released on the 8th for the S9/S9+ as well as note 8. The note 8 is out but the S9/S9+ update is again MIA can you tell us if its been pulled? Logically it would of been out yesterday early morning. But as its not nor is it being offered on smart switch I have a gut feeling its the start of another long wait. Any guidance?

All replies

• tmo_nic

Re: New S9/S9+ Update MIA Again?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. You are right, normally we like to be prompt, but there was a small delay. It's not been significantly delayed like the last go-around. I anticipate you'll start to hear rumblings in the very near future.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta2989621

Maybe you guys should update the support documents to alert of the delay and not wait like the last time it was haulted.

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Good idea @magenta2989621 - hard to tell if "small delay" means days, weeks or months...

• magenta2989621

I'm guessing were in the months delay area. They get a new build test for two weeks it will fail. Back to Samsung new build test fail..... and round and round the merry go round will go when it's done nobody knows haha. Honestly two times an update has come and gone I can't help but wonder if it's the device itself or that there is some major breakdown in effectiveness of the developers at Samsung in regards to code development for T-mobile's devices.

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Yeah, major fail here - but if you look at the S8/S8+ release history, no issues at all and regular monthly updates since release...same software people...who knows...

• robertkoa

Since you guys are being so direct...my S9 is working so well and so very efficiently  and I am inclined not to update it because of the long battery SOT I am getting and the device other than downloading 7 Gig of data from previous phone [ using smart switch] the S9 never even gets warm.

Once we are 3 or 4 updates down the road and there is a very stable great functional update...maybe then I will catch up.

I am not downloading the Updates because my phone is performing very well especially battery life per charge.

Also my S9 seems to love the T-mobile towers- we had 4 and 5 bars of 4GLTE in a Mall - at the Samsung Store in the Mall the employee said they were getting 1 bar barely on Factory Unlocked Samsing devices !

I appreciate T-Mobile's beta testers (?) and techs testing these Software updates first, BEFORE we get them.

I thought it was odd that the ARF4 Update in

June was such a large file- though I am a layman regarding programming phone software...but I did not download that either -thinking it was going to increase the size of the OS and use more battery  etc.

• magenta2989621

That's ur choice but waiting on updating till things get more stable isn't really true. All software will be buggy and not updating will leave security holes unpatched. Plus as I recall wont the phone update automatically after you have postponed it a number of times?

• cameronnoland

Another day, another lack of update. What happened to T-Mobile? A few years ago they were ahead of the curve with updates, and now this is the second time in a few months a software update has been delayed on a top tier flagship smart phone.

• magenta2989621

tmo_nic  any news? Since the support pages were not updated to reflect the delay. Possible this week? Thanks for you're help.

• godofeath206

I would not hold your breath on these updates coming out anytime soon. Given the last delay was months and all we really got was the security updates, this one will probably be just as long and then all we will still get is security updates.  I really question the cancellation for the April update. It was out for less than 24 hours yet caused such a huge "reboot" issue that they cancelled it. They should at least update their website to remove cancelled updates and show a delay on the current one. Right now it looks like the update should be out there for your device yet it isn't. It takes all of 30 minutes, at most, to update the website code. Not difficult at all.

• cameronnoland

Who wants to place bets on a release date? I'm thinking early August.

• magenta2989621

Well the support pages were updated to show it's on hold. Maybe September well get August's patch. SHM this is rather ridiculous.

• tmo_nic

Hey magenta2989621,

It took me a moment to figure out what you meant and have them update the content last night. However, they're just going to update content again here in a couple hours. Sorry to disappoint, and for the sleight of hand! The updates won't take months this time, however.

The updates will begin tonight, July 17, at 10 pm PT. Please keep in mind that means only a portion of people will be allowed to receive push/pull updates per day. This is a precautionary measure and is typical of all software releases. I believe the over/under is 5% push / 5% pull per day with a full deploy (lifting of all restrictions) after several days. As we work to get better with our Software Update processes there tend to be opportunities that need to be worked out of the 'machine'. Seems like we're almost there. Thanks for reaching out, being patient, and exercising candor. I appreciate the latitude, and trust. I've got you covered.

j.a.r.v.i.s - Different chipset and base OS, my friendly AI construct. The 8s gave everyone a lot of practice on their chipset before doing a major overhaul to the entire OS (7 to 8). This one has been a bit of an enigma for everyone to nail down, but, I think we've got it now. The next time you talk to Tony Stark could you ask if he'll accept my meeting? I have a few ideas I think he could help with. 

robertkoa - We're at security update five now. The stability is there. You'll note across the industry everyone is relaxing into this device. Go ahead and download. You're good.

cameronnoland - Nothing happened. We're still good. Damn good. This device has thrown everyone for a loop, and we've got it now. Still want to bet? I'll take July 17 / 18 (depending on time zone).

godofeath206 - You're correct. HTML is pretty easy to work with. Sifting through 24,000 pieces of content + email to find to find a small line of text that you weren't aware was communicated can be a bit like the analogy of looking for the needle in the hay stack. By the time I found it and had it corrected (keep in mind I was also traveling and didn't have all my normal tools - like a full monitor, docking station, etc.) we were able to get it all handled. So, we flipped the switch to say 'delayed' and now we're going to flip it to 'July 17 @ 10 pm PT'.

• godofeath206

It is not as hard as you make it out to be. Even the most sophisticated web design programs have a "find" feature that allows you to put in words you are looking for which makes sifting through code that much easier. Even if it did not, which raises other questions, you can copy the code to a basic word processor program and they would have that as well. It literally takes 5-10 minutes to change the code, preview the change, and upload it to your web server. It may take longer if manager approvals are needed but not more than a day. I fully understand the reason behind pulling the update and doing more testing. I have learned that communication is key especially with a large user base.

• cameronnoland

Thank you for the in-depth response. Sorry I was being rude with my comments - I just got a little angry about the whole situation. I appreciate the helpful information!

• tmo_nic

No worries! My responses were meant to give you all a nudge to my post, close things off, and exercise a little humor (sprinkled in randomly). Maybe I'm just not funny?

I know this has been a sub-optimal experience for those who desire regular security patches. Considering how much information runs through devices these days it can be a bit scary to think that your information may be vulnerable. I get it. It's all good! As to regular updates on these devices, I'm pretty confident that going forward you'll receive them pretty close to 'like clockwork'.

Dang. Now I'm seriously questioning my sense of humor. Anyway, enjoy the update everyone. Let me know if you need anything else.

• j.a.r.v.i.s

tmo_nic - Enjoyed the humor!

Tony is out of pocket after Infinity War, but F.R.I.D.A.Y is taking over operations...

• j.a.r.v.i.s

FYI - update just became available for my S9+. 

• magenta2989621

Pulled the update at 6am east coast time. Install took a long time but given the size. But I'm seeing an issue with mine. I live in a well populated area and we have full coverage here. But my LTE is crawling after the update. I'm lucky if I'm pulling 2-3mbps it's Also taking a long time for a call to connect to the tmobile network and start to ring. I'm gonna factory reset to see if it helps. Wonder if the radios were the issue and they weren't fixed entirely lol?

• tmo_nic

Hi magenta2989621

That shouldn't be happening with the update. The security patch didn't touch that side of the code. I've checked against internal tickets and we have 0 reports thus far. It could be that you got a corrupt download, or your cache partition isn't playing nice. That happens in a small margin of downloads. Got to love technology! Hypothetically speaking, a 99.9% success rate on 1M devices still means 1000 devices get residual impact.

Before you do anything as harsh as a master reset, did you Wipe Cache Partition? It's less invasive on your personal data and settings but still clears up a large portion of issues.

Pro Tip: The steps are the same between devices so it doesn't matter which one you select, but, just in case the trolls are on the hunt I'll give both device instructions docs!

Wipe cache partition: Samsung Galaxy S9

Wipe cache partition: Samsung Galaxy S9+

If that doesn't work, then start with a 'Reset Network Settings', drop down to a 'Soft Reset' (simulated battery pull). As a last resort do a Master Reset. That way we're taking all the potential preventative steps prior to sending you down a path of having to backup/restore hours worth of data. All those steps can be found here:

Device resets: Samsung Galaxy S9

Device resets: Samsung Galaxy S9+

If you still have issues then give us a call and we'll sort it out. I'll keep my Magenta fingers crossed for you!