Insufficient prepaid funds or MMS blocked

magenta3869376

I never had a problem getting photos by text but now I can't get pictures anymore. Instead it says "Insufficient prepaid funds or MMS blocked." I didn't change my plans or settings. It also doesn't seem people can receive my text messages if I attach pictures. I have Android 4.4.2. Any ideas how to fix this? It's very frustrating.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta3869376!

Let's see if we can get this figured out! What type of phone are you using and what type of plan do you have? Lastly, if you send a picture to yourself, do you get the same error message?

• magenta3869376

I tried twice to reply back to the email messages you sent, as the instructions said I could but they never made it through to you. This is frustrating because it is really hard to get back to this case.

My problem has not been solved. I tried the same thing that the other person on the thread with APN settings and had no luck. The first time I reached out for support was by phone. The tech spend about a half hour or more trying different things (checking my APN settings was one) without any luck. After all that, the call disconnected so then I tried this forum.

I am convinced it isn't a problem with our individual phones but something with your network and using wifi calling. The functionality works perfectly when using cellular data but not when using wifi. I live in a valley that doesn't get cell service so I have no chose but to use wifi at home. Not being able to get pictures at home is very annoying.

While I've been recommending t-mobile to people since I became a customer, I think it is time to look elsewhere. It is taking too long to solve this. If you can give me a complete list of items to try, I certainly will. I just don't have time to message back and forth all the things it took 30 minutes for someone to try on the phone.

• tmo_marissa

Good morning! We'd love to know a few details so that we can help!
            Amanda asked a few questions that are important when we're trying to get to the root cause of this problem --

What type of phone are you using and what type of plan do you have? Lastly, if you send a picture to yourself, do you get the same error message?

If you don't mind filling us in we're here for you!

• jmac_hahaha

Re: Insufficient prepaid funds or MMS blocked

Hopefully this thread isn't dead.  I don't know about the OP, but I have had the same thing happening more and more often the past few months.  This kept happening on my first GS4 phone running 4.4.2.  I thought it was the phone, since it was also having other issues, so I got another phone.  The new one is also a GS4, but running 4.4.4.  The other (new) phone also has the same problem with MMS messages.  "insufficient prepaid funds or MMS blocked" on incoming messages, failure to send on outgoing.

I'm on the Simply Prepaid $40 plan.

When trying to send a picture message to myself or others, it just fails to send.  It does this when trying to use Wi-Fi Calling.  When running over the cellular network, it seems to work fine.

Any assistance to get MMS back to working on Wi-Fi calling, (which is where I am most of the time,) would be great, thanks.

One other possibly related issue is that I'll often receive the same messages multiple times, sometimes even 4 or 5 times in a row, sometimes minutes apart.  It seems like it started doing this about the same time as the problem with sending/ receiving MMS.

• tmo_chris

I have seen some MMS issues in the past when it comes to Wi-Fi. Can you go into APN settings and set APN protocol to IPV6/IPV4  or just

IPV4 and see if that works?

• magenta3869376

I am on the Simply Prepaid $40 plan too. Perhaps that is the commonality. I have a Samsung Galaxy Avant running Android 4.4.2.

• tmo_chris

Sorry it is still not working for you jmac_hahaha and magenta3869376.

We are going to want to get some engineering service tickets opened up for each of you so we can see what is happening on the network side. Please contact us when you have a moment so our tech care folks can gather some specific examples from you.

• jmac_hahaha

I don't think there's anything else I or the OP could tell anyone that's not already in this thread.  GS4 phone does this with both 4.4.2 and 4.4.4.  Galaxy Avant does this with 4.4.2.  OP and I have both tried altering APN settings in manner suggested.  OP spent half an hour on the phone with tech support with no headway.  After 35+ minutes into a call on the Tmobile support line, and being transferred to three different people so far, it still isn't working as expected.

What I was finally told by the "technical expert" is to change my wifi calling preference to "cellular network preferred", since MMS works on that.  To me this seems like a bad idea, since now I'll be using cellular data connection a lot of the time instead of WiFI, even if WiFi is available.  But, there you go. I guess that's all they've got to offer.  My "technical expert" claimed that "enhancements" were made to the "frequencies" recently and now MMS connection must be established on the Cellular network.  He had no other suggestions to offer, not even altering APN settings, as Chris proposed.

IDK, doesn't seem like much of an enhancement if it doesn't work as well as it used to...

With the info you've got on this thread, can someone technical over there please really look into this and then reach back to me and Magenta38... with a fix?  Thanks.

• tmo_chris

jmac_hahaha - We need to collect specific examples from you of this happening on WiFi so our engineers can see what is happening on the network side. We do not have the ability to securely collect that information from you here on a public forum so we would need you to call us for that.

jgizow44 - We do not have your personal account information as this is a public community forum. Please know that we would be very sad to lose your business because of an issue that we do have the ability to resolve. Please contact use when you have a moment so that our tech care folks can gather the necessary information from you to open an engineering service ticket.

• jgizow44

I'm having the same issue, over the past month or so I've been getting the "prepaid funds insufficent or MMS blocked" message when people try to text me. After receiving duplicate text messages for years it's clear to me T-mobile doesn't work anymore. Time to switch to a new carrier. If you want to look into it, open up a ticket yourselves, you have my info.

• tmo_chris

Hey there. Just checking in to see how things are going. Please let us know if you still need help.

• magenta3869376

Sending a picture to myself results in "server response error".