Note8 Can't Make Calls After Update!

immortalone

After accepting the newest update CRF3 from T-Mobile for the Note8 you can no longer make calls. Call app goes into a crash loop whenever a call is made and the only way out of it is to restart the device. So basically this very expensive phone that I'm paying for monthly service on can no longer make calls. The Galaxy Apps store tried to get me to update the phone app on the previous version of Android and when I did the same thing happened. I was able to fix it then by restarting the device and uninstalling updates on the phone app, but since the new software comes packed with the new version of the phone app this is no longer an option. Worst part is I can't even call T-Mobile for help now. I need my phone working for my job like today! Please help. Thank you.

All replies

• immortalone

Re: Note8 Can't Make Calls After Update!

Screenshot_20180709-073157_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

I checked the comments for the phone app on the Galaxy Apps store and almost every single comment(probably more than 100) say that they can't even open the app after updating it. Also, there is a thread on the Samsung Community site where 135 users agreed that their Note8 was crashing and freezing when trying to make a call. Here is the link: Note 8 Freezing and unresponsive - Samsung Community - 171679

I have also seen many articles on the subject that suggest that the Contacts app may also have something to do with it.

Anyhow, I have downloaded a 3rd party phone dialer app called Drupe from the Play Store which makes calls just fine in the meantime until I can hear back from you guys on what I should do.

• androidz32015

Same issue here too, everything crashes, I'm going back to Verizon after July and getting a real phone and service Google pixel 3 xl and better updates, s amsung has gone down the toilet Oreo is the worst android version ever and t mobile is no better, from what I read online the t mobile note 8 has the worst issues with Oreo 8.0. Samsung and t mobile are pathetic!!! I called t mobile tier resolution was just take the battery out??? I told the guy note 8 has no removable battery and he had no idea what to do, than I called back to tech support they were giving me iPhone x support??? WTF??? T mobile is worse ever, I hate t mobile now after this. Call support has no help what customer service is this, and t mobiles purposely pushing corrupt updates...

• immortalone

I think they forgot something.

1531268233833.jpg

• tdames

Use SMS Backup & Restore to back up your stuff and do a factory reset, try to use it before the restore then afterwards restore your stuff

• immortalone

This is not a solution. SMS Backup & Restore only backs up SMS text messages and call logs. Not the phone app itself. It even says so in the description. Also, doing a factory reset will not revert you back to a previous version of Android. It will only remove your user apps and data and clean up your current version as if it were stock.

• tdames

That's exactly the action that I'm suggesting.

• immortalone

I can only say that you're providing an incorrect solution so many times. You obviously either did not fully read or understand my question. Neither a factory reset or your third party SMS app will revert my phone app back to a version that works, as the earliest version for that update is one that does not work. The problem has nothing to do with SMS messages and a factory reset won't do anything for the phone app that clearing data & cache & clicking on uninstall updates for the app wouldn't do & those things I've already done. The problem comes from Samsung in those versions of the app, so the only fix is to either be able to go back to an earlier version of the app(from before the last update) or for Samsung to put out a new one that works. This thread I started is more or less just to see what T-Mobile is going to do about it since they're the ones who pushed the update in the first place.

• tdames

Excuse me? This is my first suggestion i've made so I don't know whether I've given you a incorrect solution many times. You also didn't state whether you've done it before or not and I only suggested you backup your SMS/Call log just in case you wanted to keep those.

• immortalone

SMS Messages are contained within the "Messages" app. Not the "Phone" app that we're having trouble with, so saying to back up SMS messages when trying to fix or replace the Phone dialer app seems to me to be about as trivial as saying to back up your browser history when fixing the dialer app. It's true that doing a factory reset can often fix a lot of problems, but when it's just one app that's misbehaving because Samsung put out a faulty version of an app(actually both version 3.0.20.23 that came with the update & version 3.0.20.25 that came after have this problem) and that version was packed into an update, then a factory reset will not fix anything, as you'll still have that version of the app when you're done. If you were going to do a factory reset anyway, then you'd want to back up everything, not just SMS, but as far as backing up all your call logs, SMS, calendar events, alarms, contacts, etc. goes, Samsung Cloud does that just fine in Settings. No need for third party apps.

• zamakli

Well... the caption title says it all. I can't make or receive phone calls after Oreo update. If I make a call, a prompt voice announce that I can't complete the call right now to try later. Same prompt when somebody call me, that the y can't complete the call right now, to try later. Anybody with the same issue/s?

• mjstell

After a slightly frustrating conversation with the "support" rep. It seems they do not monitor nor accept the reporting of issues with updates that are pushed from Samsung. Dispite the fact that Samsung pushes updates to T-Mobile for T-Mobile to perform testing on the provider specific devices. From what I've gathered the issue needs to be reported to Samsung. Then Samsung needs to report the issue to T-Mobile for it to be taken seriously.

I haven't applied the patch to my device based on the feedback from the users that have. That being said, the people that are experiencing the issues will need to take the issue to Samsung support rather than T-Mobile.

Please update with progress and I hope this helps.

• immortalone

You would think T-Mobile would step up to the plate on this one and claim responsibility for this issue and be actively seeking the solution to rectify it. Not just because they pushed the update and obviously failed to test the update properly before passing it along to all of us, but MOST IMPORTANTLY because this issue prevents their customers from using the absolute most basic and most primary service that their customers pay for and that the very foundation of T-Mobile itself was built upon and that is the provision of the service of making phone calls.

• tmo_lauren

Definitely a lot going on in here.

Just to clear up a few things, while we don't code or create the updates, rather Samsung in this case (or whomever the manufacturer may be) does, we do definitely keep a pulse on issues which sounds contrary to what was advised over the phone. So while we aren't able to directly administer a fix as we are not a part of the development updates, we do certainly monitor what is going on with the devices used on our network since we have relationships with the device manufacturers.

This is not currently recognized as a known issue, but we can certainly report on the experience. That said, and it has already been suggested, the first troubleshooting step Samsung will require is a master reset. I fully recognize as do they that this will not revert your device to a previous software set, but it is commonly found to alleviate issues post update.

It is inconvenient, but it's where the troubleshooting would need to start. SMS backup is a good option for backing up texts specifically, most apps will return once you login with your Google account through their backup. Some things will be lost and not all app info saved depending on the app dev.

-Lauren