How to root Galaxy S6 T-Mobile without getting IMEI locked?

uteach

Hi,
    First of all, I am not capable of understanding why T-Mobile has to prevent me doing whatever I want with my device. If anyone has an answer, please enlighten me.

I have recently bought my Samsung Galaxy S6 here in Italy where I live, it is a refurbished phone, so I don't expect nor want T-Mobile warranty, since I am covered with the warranty from the local shop I have bought it.
    I tried once to root it, without success, and then dropped the idea of doing it. 2 weeks later, my IMEI got blacked listed with an error messaeg stating "Device is modified". I took my phone back to where I bought it and they sent it back to T-Mobile for unlocking and they wiped it. It came back to me functioning, no problem, but it's still flagged as modified. Why the hell I am not free of modifyng my phone?
    Is there any way of installing a Custom Rom on it without re-getting IMEI blacklisted?
    Thanks and sorry for my poor english, as I said I am Italian.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

I searched the error you posted and I only found a bunch of 3 party sites with various fixes. I can't recommended them because rooting the phone isn't something we can support. Might be a good idea to reach out to Samsung directly, however, I don't know what their response will be if you mention what you're doing. Sorry friend, I wish I had more I could offer.  I do wish you the best of luck with your phone.

• uteach

Thanks for your answer, but my problem is linked with T-Mobile, since it's

one of their protection applied with this branded phone. When I sent it

back to the shop where I bought it for repair, they sent it back to

T-Mobile, and it came back with an app, called "Device Unlock", clearly

from T-Mobile. If you wish, I can send you some screenshots.

Best regards.

Il Lun 9 Lug 2018, 20:01 tmo_mike_c <no-reply@t-mobile.com> ha scritto:

T-Mobile Support

reply from tmo_mike_c

<https://support.t-mobile.com/people/tmo_mike_c?et=watches.email.thread>

in Android products - View the full discussion

<https://support.t-mobile.com/message/649918?et=watches.email.thread#649918>

• tmo_mike_c

If it's the T-Mobile Device Unlock app , that's pre-installed on T-Mobile branded devices. I'm also not aware of any repair process where the store would send the device to T-Mobile. We honor the manufacturer's year warranty and we can exchange the device if it's still under warranty, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be the case since you got it from a 3rd party vendor. Looking through our systems, I couldn't find that error being tied to an IMEI block. Were you getting some other error? If you can post a screenshot, that would be awesome!

• uteach

So, for the warranty, I don't know how it works in other countries, but

here in Italy, if you buy something from a shop that sells regenerated,

they'll provide the warranty for you, if the device had any left when they

bought it from someone else. Otherwise, no warranty. Mine has come with

some spare months of warranty, so they have could sent it back to T-Mobile

to deal with that error.

I will post some screenshots in the links on the bottom, but now I don't

have anymore this problem, since I already fixed it. My question basically

was if I can install a custom rom on my phone without getting my IMEI

locked again from T-Mobile. I tried to search for some features that blocks

the phone in case of any tried modification, and I stumbled upon a so

called "FRP lock", even tough I am not 100% sure it's the kind of security

features my phone has.

It really bugs me that I can't even root my phone without getting T-Mobile

blocking it, and I am 100% sure it's an IMEI lock from T-Mobile and not

Samsung because on other Samsung's devices I owned, even more recent than

this S6, never ever had this kind of "security features".

Thanks a lot for your help.

_

https://imgur.com/a/h4Pxof9 - link for the "Security Error" screenshot,

note the "Solo Emergenza" in the bottom that stands for "Only emergencies

call"

_

Il Lun 9 Lug 2018, 21:55 tmo_mike_c <no-reply@t-mobile.com> ha scritto:

T-Mobile Support

reply from tmo_mike_c

<https://support.t-mobile.com/people/tmo_mike_c?et=watches.email.thread>

in Android products - View the full discussion

<https://support.t-mobile.com/message/650006?et=watches.email.thread#650006>

• tmo_mike_c

That's very interesting. The warranty works a bit differently as when you buy them from our retail stores in the US. T-Mobile doesn't encourage rooting the phone as this does void the warranty, however we do have folks that do it anyway. I've gone through our internal info about IMEI blocks and this wouldn't fall in the category of reasons it would be blocked. Looking at the error from your image, it looks more like the block is coming from the phone after the software was changed. I understand that it mentions contacting your operator for assistance, but the only thing we can recommend is a full reset. After that, we'd have to recommend contacting Samsung for repairs if the message continues to pop up. I'm glad it's working for you now and I do hope it stays that way.