OTA update in Canada for unlocked T-Mobile Phone (Samsung Note 4)

andla62

Hi,

I recently bought an T-Mobile factory unlocked Samsung Note 4 from a 3rd party seller.

The device has build "LMY47X.N910TUVU2DOK2" and the security patch level is at 2015-11-01.

There are lots of available T-Mobile builds that are more recent (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28899) but I was unable to get update through OTA or Samsung Smart Switch.

Is this an expected behaviour? Do I need to be in USA or be a T-Mobile customer to get updates?

The seller who sold me the device stated I should not have problems getting updates but my experience is otherwise. Can a T-Mobile representative give me a quick answer on this?

Thanks!

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Not a T-Mobile representative...

But, this is not expected behavior.  As long as you've got >50% battery and are on WiFi or use Samsung Smart Switch, you should be able to update.

The part that concerns me is there's two years of updates that are missing.  The device and/or servers may not have a valid update path for you.  Or, there's the small possibility the device has hit End of Life and you may not be able to update it?  This last scenario, I haven't heard of happening, but then, most people don't try to update 2.5 years later...

Suggestions I would try:

- Make sure the device has a full charge

- Tap the "Check for Updates" button a gabillion times

- Make sure you're using the Samsung provided USB cable with Smart Switch

- I don't know if Kies is supported with the device, but I've had luck with previous Samsung devices and Kies installing a fresh ROM

- Try the Samsung forums

- If all else fails, and you absolutely positively have to have it, and are willing to take the risk, search how to manually apply the updated ROM on the device (it's not hard if you have all the files, but it's also not something anybody will suggest you do, and it's not supported at all in the T-Mobile forums)

• andla62

> If all else fails, and you absolutely positively have to have it, and are willing to take the risk, search how to manually apply the updated ROM on the device (it's not hard if you have all the files, but it's also not something anybody will suggest you do, and it's not supported at all in the T-Mobile forums)

Oh, definitely not. Otherwise, I would've just bought one of those cheaper AT&T devices that are known to be carrier-locked for OTA updates (despite being unlocked)

• smplyunprdctble

One other comment I might make -- there is the possibility it's a T-Mobile device and a previous owner hacked the OS to disable updates for some reason (there's "reasons" to do this at times, generally when it comes to needing a version of the OS installed that can have allow for installation of custom ROMs).  If the updates are disabled, that means the ROM is modified and not supported by T-Mobile.  I don't know if there's a way to check if this has happened.

• andla62

I got update from Samsung support,

My phone is legit T-Mobile unlocked but T-Mobile has the behaviour of stop sending OTA updates as soon as the device gets unlocked. Is it true?

• smplyunprdctble

Not true to my knowledge.

Doesn't seem a wise marketing decision - "Sure, we can unlock your phone so you can use it on your Italian trip... but, you'll never get another update from us.. mwahahahahaha"

I wonder if Samsung support is getting carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked mixed up.  I can see them turning off with bootloader unlock because people unlock bootloaders to install custom ROMs (though, if a custom ROM is installed, no carrier update would happen because the carrier's SW isn't installed and if the bootloader is unlocked, it shouldn't "re-lock" with an OS update, though that much I'm not exactly familiar with.

Another idea I'd try is taking the SIM out and trying the updates via WiFi.  Someone once had their tin foil hat on and suggested SIM might have something to do with updates (this really was the case when the Nexus 5 or 5X was released -- T-Mobile requested devices on their network be held back a couple extra weeks until WiFi Calling could be thoroughly tested -- people removed their SIM and used WiFi to get updated ahead of the game.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tmo_lauren

So, if you are using an unlocked T-Mobile device on another network, updates can be sort of hit or miss. If you are using an unlocked device on T-Mobile network, definitely not true about the updates. We just shove the update at all the devices on our network without discretion. Are you using the device with a T-Mobile SIM card?

That said, the instructions smply provided about Smart Switch should help you out either way, on network or off!

-Lauren

• tmo_lauren

I re-read your thread title mentioning Canada!

Silly me!

Okay, in that case, I definitely suggest the Smart Switch option!

-Lauren

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • andla62

Hi Lauren,

I've already tried Smart Switch. It says I am "up to date".

I verified with Samsung support that my phone is unlocked with T-Mobile - Factory reset also doesn't remove the lock, which is another indication that it is legitimately unlocked.

Is there any information I can provide in in public or private (e.g. IMEI) to further triage this problem?

By the way, I tried calling T-Mobile Technical Support twice but your rep's hung up on me as soon as I mentioned that I am in Canada. I guess it's a sign that they are pretty stressed out about quotas.

• tmo_lauren

Oof, that's no good.

Well, unfortunately you aren't going to love my answer and I am pretty limited on options to provide. I can tell you we won't block or lock your device out from getting an update, but I can tell you when we push OTAs, we push them through our network and you aren't on it, so it's not just going to come through to you on Canadian network.

Our reps absolutely should *not* be hanging up on anyone, but I can also tell you without a T-Mobile account, there isn't anything they can even begin looking up for you. We don't have a way to push anything to a device not on our network, or without an account with us.

I know you are already exploring that route, but unfortunately Samsung is your best bet to ask why Smart Switch isn't working.

-Lauren