Branched to a new discussion.

Note 8 Android Oreo Update Crashing All Applications

jebrone

The Android Oreo Update is seriously causing some major system failures. I do not know who to turn to right now.

My Samsung Note 8 was working great on Nougat and I was very excited to update it to Oreo! However, once I did that that's when things started going downhill. Once a day I'll start getting some "This application has stopped working, Stop it or Wait" over multiple applications, GMail, Facebook, Samsung Pay, ANT+, WIFI, and even System apps such as the Kernel or even the System UI and other things that complex names. Over time it just got worse and rebooting the phone was the only option. I would start getting this twice a day then every couple of hours.

I did what I knew I could do and did a System Cache Reset. It didn't fix the issue, so I exchanged it with my warranty. I got a "Fresh" new phone. I updated it and set the phone up completely by installing everything (Even updating the McAfee before updating to Nougat, which was said to be an issue). I even cleared my Samsung Micro SD card (Which is there fastest Micro SD card on the market for 128gb) and formatted it using the phone to see if that was an issue with corruption. The issue crept up on me again after a couple days of using it and now its happening every couple of hours now. Everything seems to completely crash not just applications that I've installed but system applications that I have no control over, such as network applications, wifi applications, bluetooth applications, you name it. At one point there were at least 10 ANR's on screen at once, and sometimes the screen will act like it won't turn on at all. Applications that I haven't even touched are crashing. There was even a time I opened the camera took 2 pictures and it froze (didn't save a picture) and I had to hold the power key down for 2-3 minutes until it hard rebooted.

This is getting rather annoying. I know that the Oreo came out about 10 months ago and this is probably version 1 of Oreo from when it first came out. However, I cannot definitively know what's going on. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue or have a solution as to why this is happening?

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Does the problem exist if you factory reset and install zero apps?

I ask this for a specific reason -- there's the possibility that one of the apps you have isn't playing nice.

The suggestion given any time this happens is to factory reset and see how it runs.  Then install an app or two a day until the problems start arising.  Then you start with the most recent installed apps as the probably culprit.

• jebrone

I got a new phone. Which is equivalent to a factory reset. regardless to the situation, all apps worked fine before the oreo installation. Even if it was an application, it has been 10 months since release. Alot of apps should have updated by now, secondly the new OS should have been able to handle applications by now unless they were particularly malicious.

• azmariadei

I've been having this same issue since the Oreo update as well. I've also seen a lot of other users complaining of the same and similar issues across multiple android forums. The odds of dozens, if not more, of users using the same apps is astronomical.

As for your question to the other user, I've personally done a stock cache wipe, factory reset and tried using my Note8 for a few days with no outside apps. The problem persisted immediately.  The UI crashed repeatedly, the home screen refused to display, and the device was obstinate in its use. I've also tried running it with Nova launcher to try and replace Samsung Experience. The problem persists, though it's far more manageable. I can normally go into task switcher, close all, and it'll get the UI to behave enough to get the Nova launcher settings open to restart it. That's if unlocking the device doesn't crash Samsung Experience, which is still running in the background. On a side note, I've noticed that the problem is less frequent when the device is charging, which leads me to believe that this is at least partly a memory manager issue.

If I had to guess, there's an issue with the Oreo memory manager and Samsung Experience in this version not liking the T-Mobile Note8. Perhaps your programmers have some notes on this, but I'd recommend pushing for a higher version of Oreo being tested. We are on 8.0.0, after all. Then again, I could be totally off. My degrees are in IT and Telecom hardware, not programming.

• jebrone

I believe you are right. Although I have the same issue happen even when plugged in (will test that theory today). normally I have my phone plugged in while listening to music at work. after some time my music will skip a little and I'll pick up my phone and everything starts to crash. after a while of this happening the music will turn off because Pandora finally crashed.

I'm a QA, I use to work for Motorola testing out there mobile devices. Although I don't know how to figure out what is crashing the system without having a rooted phone. Even then interpreting the logs was not my job.

• azmariadei

Yeah I have similar issues. There's a bit of a leap from military satcom/wideband/telemetry systems to smartphone software.

I have tried a few of the more in-depth things with limited success though.

1 - Under Device management, turning the App power monitor off. This thing is stupid in Oreo 8.0.0 and seems to randomly put even the OS to sleep for some reason.

2 - Under Apps, click the three dots in the top left and select Special Access. Then Optimize battery usage. Switch to all apps in the top drop down menu. Anything that has a widget and anything that's a core part of the OS, switch them to OFF so they don't automatically go to sleep. A few people on the Verizon and AT&T boards have had luck with this. For me, most of my widgets stopped freezing but the OS kept crashing.

3 - Installing the Nova Launcher. Several people have had luck with this on various android forums after a factory reset and a cache wipe. I'm not one of them, but as I said earlier, the crashes that do happen are easier to manage. I can normally get the OS to crash/restart by locking the screen and unlocking it again and if that doesn't do it, opening the task switcher (which is far more responsive under Nova than SE while the OS is crashing for me) and either closing a few apps or all of them will almost always do it. (Which almost makes me think this ROM they pushed to our phones isn't built for 6GB of RAM, but for 4GB...)

Anyway, your mileage may vary, but these are a few things that might help. Also, I agree with your assessment that all Play store apps now should be Oreo compatible. On top of that, if they were not Oreo compatible, the Play store is set up to not install them unless they're marked as compatible. If the developers are doing their jobs right, then we shouldn't be quick to judge the apps, especially with such a widespread occurrence across so many forums of people complaining of essentially the same set of issues.

• androidz32015

Verizon and at&t have their act together, t mobile lags ... heck looser t mobile merging with sprint now??? Verizon here I come, note 9 and Apple iOS 12

• azmariadei

Earlier today I re-added Nova Launcher and added a few more OS elements to the Unoptimized Battery Usage list as I described above. So far it's been several hours without a crash or a lockup. I've been using several memory heavy apps like facebook, twitter, and secure folder as well. I'll let you know tomorrow if this finally fixed it for me and try to detail everything I had to do to get my $1k pocket disaster to behave with Oreo.

Please, let's focus on the issue at hand and leave name calling out of it. T-Mobile may have issues, but so do all the big telecom companies. Personally, I both dread and look forward to the merger. On one hand, Sprint is known for some despicable practices and Softbank's influences on them have not been for the better - I do not look forward to seeing what their influence in the new T-Mobile will be. On the plus side, I'm looking forward to nationwide 5G and the combined resources will bring them up to par with Verizon and AT&T.

• magenta5377831

I never would resort resort to name calling a stranger. I don't see how I may have offended you but that was not at all my intention.

And if it's been a few hours, maybe it is now fixed and just to keep it in optimum shape, keep your battery charged at least 50% at all times, keep away from direct sunlight light and overheating (USA heatwave), clear your RAM and don't install two apps that do the same thing. Hope that helps.

• azmariadei

Ok, it's been over a day now and while a few apps are slow to wake up, there hasn't been a single crash. the apps i removed from Battery Optimization were Nova Launcher (again), Samsung Experience Home (again), and Bixby (Even though it's off). The strange thing is that I know I added the first one when I installed it, but I guess I missed the button or something because it wasn't selected. SEH was still selected though.

Either way, jabrone, if you want to give a combination of these a try, go for it. And if you want to give Nova launcher a try, the full product is free (which I'm using until Prime goes on sale from $5 to $1 - there's no ads and I'm poor at this point in time...)

• androidz32015

Who are you??? The couciling on this topic?? It's purely Samsung and t mobile at 100% at fault t mobile launched the update than failed April 3rd than resumed may 13th I believe, I know people with at&t  and Verizon and do have some issues but the t mobile is by far the worst with all the Oreo issues, and 5g keep dreaming if they merge with a pathetic looser sprint seriously?? T mobile is going to get worse, all they are doing is trying to pass AT&T and will never happen. If the merge happens t mobile will still be last and worse you will see trust me their 4g LTE stinks, and as for name calling it's the truth I'm just waiting for a eip to pay off at the end of July and I'm Verizon bound and getting a Google pixel 3 xl soon not this samjunk Samsung, terrible shameful flagship used to be good and t mobile I will plea the 5th about t mobiles future you will see t mobiole will always lag and will be even worse soon..

• androidz32015

That's Samsung and t mobile for ya pulling a Apple iOS to get you to buy the newest phone, IT'S CALLED COMPANY AND NETWORK GREED!!!!

• magenta5377831

Hi there jerbone! I think what the problem is going on is a antivirus software conflict. Lookout is already pre-installed in all T-Mobile phones and Samsung has implemented McAfee in it's software. You need uninstall McAfee, delete all data. Then go to:

My Files > Internal storage > Android

Select all boxes , delete and then restart your phone. That should be fool-proof!

• tmo_mike_c

Wow azmariadei  I really appreciate you doing that troubleshooting and sharing the results. I know it's been a few days, but how's the phone working?

Has anyone else here having the same issue tried the steps above to see if they help? We appreciate the feedback. Thanks everyone.

• azmariadei

Very welcome. Since my last check in I've had 2 crashes, which is far less frequent (2 crashes in 4 days vs 2 crashes per hour) and they were simple 'click here to restart the launcher' types so not much to complain about. I added com.sec.phone to the above battery optimization exemptions as well and that seems to have stabilized things a bit more.

I still believe that the root cause is either the memory manager or the task switcher since having too many apps in memory often triggered a crash after leaving the phone off for a while. Also, I've noticed that the task switcher will often open a previously opened app rather than opening the desktop launcher when unlocking the phone or closing another app. Rebooting the phone or closing all apps will reset this but after a day this little bug returns. I'm not sure if this is unique to Nova Launcher though as I don't remember this happening with SE9.

• tmo_chris

Crashing less is definitely a step in the right direction. I know you mentioned Nova launched and some task killer applications. Have you had a chance to try the phone out for a couple days with these specific apps removed from the phone?

• azmariadei

I said nothing about 'task killers' other than the built in memory manager, which is putting the OS to sleep and causing many of the crashes.

I've also not removed any apps from the phone. I've removed apps from battery optimization, such as the OS itself, which has prevented them from going to sleep, preventing many crashes.

Please try to work on your reading comprehension skills. As a Community Manager I don't expect you to be able to follow the technical details, but at least be able to tell the difference between the above details.

As for crashing less, it's been a few more days and I've had a rise in crashes again for no discernable reason after the weekly reboot. Why is it that youtube reviewers with Android 7 or 8.1 praise the stability of this device but those with 8.0 curse it? Gee... I wonder...

• tmo_chris

I apologize for the confusion. I misunderstood that you were using the built in task switcher.

Looking through the thread, I see that another user asked you if you were using an SD card but you didn't answer him. Are you using an SD card? The reason I ask is that while it is rare, I have seen instances of an SD card causing a phone to reboot.

• azmariadei

All good. Yes, though the question was directed at the original poster, I'm using the same Sandisk Extreme 64GB uSD card I've been using since I got the phone. It's shown no signs of issues, but with Device Maintenance deciding to delete photos on my internal storage seemingly at random and replacing them with shades of white, black, or grey I've moved my camera saves to the uSD card. The crashes were happening before then though. They happened the same day Oreo was installed.

This weekend I'll try running without my *shudder* uSD card... And see if that helps. I doubt it will though as nothing is rebooting. The launcher and apps are crashing and restarting.

• jebrone

I appreciate all the comments and support. My intention was to never spark an argument over anything. I'm just simply baffled at why my phone keeps crashing all the applications on my system.

I do have further insight. As much as everyone has suggestions at what the cause may or may not be. a system should never has these problems based on the probable causes here. I have a Samsung Sdxc card which worked fine, I even formatted it. Taking off applications off your phone for the soul purpose to avoid crashing the entire system is also ridiculous. As that's limiting the users experience because a few apps don't work properly with the new OS.

As far as that goes, I attempted to take off McAfee anti-virus that is provided by t-mobile for my system protection to see if that caused the issue. The issue still persists. I had device maintenence try and fix up my system and yes it spotted random applications crashing, but that's because everything is crashing.

However there is one particular instance that helped me pin point something, and application I use TreKing. it was crashing every minute after I used its quick trek feature that automatically locates bus stops in your GPS location. My belief is that the previous version, Nougat, allowed this to be running in the background, but in Oreo it for some reason just doesn't like it and constantly crashes everything wanting to run in the background. Maybe memory is being overloaded with to many things running. I'm a "power user" this should be a test in the QA department to test.

Regardless everything begins to crash. even my nfc crashed during checkout when trying to pay with Samsung pay, holding up the line.

• azmariadei

This again leads me to believe that it's something in the Oreo 8.0 memory manager. Background apps should run fine, yet they don't. When things crash for me, like the launcher, they're often right when I either unlock the phone or I'm using another app - when they're in the background.

• smplyunprdctble

Have you tried running without the SD Card?

• azmariadei

Yes. I just reported on that above. The problem persisted.

• azmariadei

I've been reading a few articles from the November-December 2017 timeframe reporting the same and more problems across a wide range of Pixel and Nexus phones running Oreo 8.0. They also reported the fix action for those devices.

Upgrade to Oreo 8.1.

Hopefully we see the carriers push this out to our devices soon.

• tmo_chris

Hey azmariadei

Thanks for trying the phone without the SD card. I am very sorry that you are still having these issues even after all of the troubleshooting we have done. We don't currently have anything listed in the known issues for this update that would cause these crashes. At this point, the next course of action would be to exchange the device. Please do contact us when you have a moment so our tech care folks can get the ball rolling on this for you.

• azmariadei

As everything worked perfectly before the Oreo 8.0 install and I've been able to reduce the number of crashes since then and others that have exchanged their device have reported that the problem persisted, I'm going to decline to exchange my device at this time and request a software update from the initial release version of Oreo 8.0 to a more stable version instead. Thank you but when all signs point to a failure in software across a vast number of devices, you don't replace hardware. You fix the software. At this point if I exchange my device it will have to be for a Note 9 unless you know of another phone with a pen.

As for known issues, read this article. It and many others list known issues.

https://www.gottabemobile.com/android-8-0-oreo-problems-pixel-nexus/

• jebrone

I would agree as I already replaced my phone as suggested with no success.

• tmo_chris

The T-Mobile Note 8 is not listed in that article and while I do understand that large OS updates often are accompanied with bugs, we tested this update before deploying it to our Note 8 phones and these types of issues didn't pop up. With the amount of updates we sent out to Note 8 devices, if it the update was the sole responsibility for the crashes, we would see a significant increase in traffic both here on the community as well as in our own internal spaces. I appreciate everyone's commitment to exhausting the troubleshooting but at this point a replacement is going to be the last resort. The replacements we send out are tested with this update and are not showing signs of crashing. These devices are stock and have no apps installed, no SD cards, no custom launchers and work fine. If the crashes only appear after installing an app on the device or a custom launcher, the issue would need to be taken up with the SW developer.

• jebrone

As a QA automation and manual engineer. I know that these issues would probably not creep up on you. It often gets tested by Samsung for these performance issues. when it gets accepted and transfered to t-mobile for further testing, I'm sure the tests aren't as rigorous. The issue lies with multiple applications being on at once and alot of them running in the background causing a possible memory issue, this also does not happen right away either. it takes several hours or a day for them to crop up. You'd have to load your phone with browser history, running applications, having thousands of text messages, charging, Bluetooth connections, etc and have them running for a good period of time.

with that said, it looks like a patch came up, version 18 for t-mobile. since then I haven't experienced any sudden crashes at all.

• azmariadei

I downloaded the update today and I saw a marked improvement in performance as well as a lack of crashes. My widgets did lock up once so I cleared the davlik cache and reset all my custom power management settings and it hasn't happened again since.

So to recap, as users, we tried running without our apps, uSD card, swapping phones, tweaking settings, even went so far as to replace the launcher... We literally removed/replaced every part of our devices except Oreo 8.0.0. But a patch that mysteriously closely matches the size of a similar operating system patch that solved similar issues on all google phones in November/December and several other branded phones earlier this year with Oreo 8.0.0 seems to have fixed the issue? Does that pretty well sum everything up?

• androidz32015

It's purely a t mobile issue it's their update and the phones they sold us..funny my note 8 was fine till Oreo, that's ok Verizon I go, when Google pixel 3 xl comes maybe iPhone x plus?? Good riddance t mobile, and buying sprint and claiming 5g?? Keep dreaming John legere you will always be last in 3rd largest carrier maybe nothing after sprint merger

• azmariadei

Please stop trolling. We get it. You don't like T-mobile. That does not add to the conversation.

• smplyunprdctble

androidz32015 wrote:

It's purely a t mobile issue it's their update and the phones they sold us..funny my note 8 was fine till Oreo, that's ok Verizon I go, when Google pixel 3 xl comes maybe iPhone x plus?? Good riddance t mobile, and buying sprint and claiming 5g?? Keep dreaming John legere you will always be last in 3rd largest carrier maybe nothing after sprint merger

(emphasis mine)

You're going to go to Verizon when a phone that has no carrier influence comes out after blaming a carrier phone.  That, in itself, makes no sense.  Those two devices have the same OS and updates no matter the carrier.

• jebrone

That's actually a false assumption. You're right though as versions of the phone come out no matter what the carrier, buts it's ultimately the carrier to get a update candidate, test it and release it to there customers.

Samsung most likely goes through thousands of builds before giving builds to t-mobile. t-mobile then tests it and either accepts it or tells them they need to go back and fix some issues. They then decide if it's the right time to release it to the customers. For each and every phone.

• azmariadei

As an example, I know one of the issues our devices specifically had that caused a delay was supposed to be wifi calling having trouble with Oreo 8.0 on certain baseband versions (mine being one of them). They had to do further testing and work to get things working again before they pushed it out after the April 1 update was halted. (I caught someone claiming to be on their team at the right time on XDA so I can't even technically verify any of this.)

As a follow up of the recent patch, i'm still monitoring things. I turned Device Maintenance's battery monitor back on and widgets locked up twice and had one half crash so far today so I turned it back off. Nothing happened yesterday. I'll run with battery monitor off for a while and report back tomorrow but so far even with this, it's still a far cry from what it was.

• smplyunprdctble

jebrone wrote:

That's actually a false assumption. You're right though as versions of the phone come out no matter what the carrier, buts it's ultimately the carrier to get a update candidate, test it and release it to there customers.

The Pixel and iPhone get updates directly from Google and Apple, respectively.  The OS is the same whether you're on T-Mobile or Verizon or in the UK.

The carrier has MINOR influence when the OS is released to their customers (this actually happened with T-Mobile and the Nexus 5 or 5X and was related to a single feature for T-Mobile that wasn't allowed to be "in the wild" when the device was released.  If you had a T-Mobile SIM, you were given a temporary update that was undone after a couple weeks (I think it was the enabling of one of the Bands used by T-Mobile, so it would have been the FCC that held it back, not specifically T-Mobile).  People were able to get around this update by either manually updating from the images from Google or processing an update via WiFi with their SIM removed.

It's plain and simple -- Cell carriers do not process updates for Nexus, Pixel, and iPhones.  And, rigorous carrier approval isn't needed on these devices because there is no carrier-specific software in the OS.

• azmariadei

Pretty much. Google pushes the update to Samsung. Samsung does some minor testing, updates their launcher and software. Samsung pushes it to the carriers. The carriers to some minor testing, updates their carrier specific apps like wifi calling and band specific settings. The carrier either pushes it back to Samsung to fix things they broke or push it to the users.

As long as what each stage is responsible is for is working when it's pushed out, it's assumed working to within tolerances. If Samsung didn't test the updates to 8.0.0 that Goggle put out to the Pixel and Nexus devices before working on SE9 and their updated launcher apps, then they never made it from them to the carriers to us. I don't blame T-Mobile for this. I don't even blame Samsung. Nor do I blame Google. I blame the system for failing to adequately stress test the software of these devices over an extended period of time. The issue will eventually be resolved, but it just may take longer than it should.

The question now is are they working on 8.1 or Android P for the next push? Or will further updates to 8.0 come down before then?

• tmo_chris

Hey folks,

How have things been going since the last update? I know some of you reported the crashing stopped. Everything still holding true?

• tmo_mike_c

If anyone continues to have any trouble, please follow all the steps on our Crashing, freezing, or unexpectedly restarting troubleshooting page and Contact Us if you need further assistance. Thank you.