No partner coverage in Redfield, Iowa

magenta5335724

When I visited Redfield, Iowa (30 miles west of Des Moines) last week, I expect to have good coverage as the maps show coverage through your partner US Cellular on 4G LTE. There is a US Cellular tower right in the town. But I found there was absolutely no outdoor coverage there, with the exception of at the higher elevation north end of town, where our phones would either connect to very weak US Cellular or T-Mobile signals outdoors only, but not indoors. Why did our phones not connect to the local US Cellular tower? Or should the map be updated to indicate no coverage in the area?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: No partner coverage in Redfield, Iowa

I just checked the area and I can see that our internal map shows that there is no roaming coverage in Redfield but our online coverage map shows that we do have partner coverage. This is definitely a discrepancy in the maps and I will get this escalated. Out of curiosity, what happens when you attempt a manual network selection? Does anything show up?

• magenta5335724

While I was there I looked at available networks, I saw US Cellular and at least one other carrier (I don't remember which). I attempted to manually connect to US Cellular but it was refused. (At the highest elevation, my phone did automatically connect to a very weak US Cellular signal.) I was wishing my T-Mobile phone would connect to the local US Cellular tower.

Incidentally, I had an older TracFone on Verizon with me. It had a weak-to-moderate Home signal outdoors. Indoors it switched to Roam and had all bars. It must have roamed to the nearby US Cellular tower.

• tmo_chris

Thanks so much for clarifying! I did hear back from our coverage team and it turns out that only 4G LTE and VoLTE service are available to T-Mobile customers in these areas. Other services (2G, 3G, 4G HSPA) are not available. Why type of phone do you have with us specifically?

• magenta5335724

We have a Galaxy J3 Prime and an LG Stylo 3 Plus, with VoLTE and data roaming enabled, with up to date firmware.

Could we be exceeding our roaming limit?When we are home we connect through the Iowa Wireless network, which is soon to be converted to T-Mobile. I don't think Iowa Wireless data contributes to a data roaming limit since it is owned by T-Mobile.

I'm wondering if the local US Cellular tower either does not have 4G LTE installed yet (antennasearch.com indicates a tower modification was granted 9/1/17), or it is not included in the towers that are enabled to accept roaming from T-Mobile. Unfortunately, I not now at that location so I can't provide more details.

• drnewcomb2

No specific information to add but for T-Mobile customers, USCC roaming has been a bit of a disappointment. USCC has been so slow to deploy compatible VoLTE hardware that T-Mobile will have many roaming areas overbuilt with 600 MHz before USCC gets into gear.