WIFI & TEXTING

magenta2855308

Why does my phone use my data for texting?  I have Wifi available and it shows it as active but, when I try to send or receive a text, I have to turn on my "Mobile data".  Why??  It's eating all my data!

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: WIFI & TEXTING

Your data will only be taken up by images sent or received making the text "MMS" instead of "SMS"; I have been in areas with no data and still able to send and receive regular text messages.  Do you have your mobile data turned off on the device?

• magenta2855308

Thank you!  I have done both.  When I have mobile data turned off, my texts won't go thru and I have to turn the mobile data back on to send and open messages.  I guess I will just keep it turned on.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta2855308! I've never noticed my phone doing this one way or the other (I don't honestly turn mobile data off very often!). I tried to send a test message with mobile data turned off and so far I'm getting send receipts, but not read receipts, and my test recipient hasn't replied with a confirmation yet.
                What type of phone are you using? Do you see any error messages?

• magenta2855308

I use a LG4. The only error message I receive is that the text can't

be sent. When I get a text I have to "download" it but, that doesn't

work either. If I turn on the mobile data, everything comes thru. I

will probably try the TMobile store next. Thanks for your reply!

• tmo_marissa

I think that's a good start -- also our internal Tech teams should have the ability to troubleshoot this with you if you want to give Contacting Us a shot over the phone! I'm not seeing a specific call-out that mobile data has to be enabled in our Text message troubleshooting documentation, but I'm wondering if that's a requirement because of Advanced Messaging. What Android version is your G4 running? Do you see a place in the settings where it says Advanced Messaging anywhere -- if so, do you have an option to turn it off?

• magenta2855308

My phone is an LG G4, running Android 6.0.  I don't see anything offering "advanced messaging".  But, who knows.  It's probably in there somewhere1  :-)

Thanks!

• tmo_marissa

Haha, understood. We didn't create an Advanced Messaging content page for the G4, which makes me think that if it was there (the settings option) it would have been included in a SW update. Just trying to figure out if there was a way for you to turn it off to test whether SMS were still using your data!
                      Were you still thinking about going by the store? Or have you had a chance to reach out to our Tech team over the phone for troubleshooting? I'd definitely love to hear updates about how this goes!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Please let us know

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta2855308! I wanted to swing by one last time to see if you had any other questions for us after looking over Marissa's reply.