No service even though map shows LTE coverage

mblogsd

We recently switched to T-Mobile because they offered a better price and the coverage map appeared to show coverage for any location that we are normally in.  However, along my wife's drive to work, it shows LTE coverage along the entire route, but for a good portion of it, has zero coverage.  It's not even poor coverage, it's practically non-existent.  It'll drop down to Edge or just plain No Service where the map shows "Good Coverage" that is verified by user data.  I don't know how on earth they're getting good coverage from user data when my wife has none.  Also when she's at her place of work, she gets either Edge or No coverage as well.  I know some buildings can cause issues, but with AT&T, there were no issues, and again the coverage map indicates "Excellent Coverage" on the map verified by user data.  I find it hard to believe this is verified honestly when my wife can get just about nothing, to the point that it doesn't even offer Wi-Fi calling when connected to her work's Wi-Fi network.  We tried the suggestions on the support page here for T-Mobile, but to no avail.  Is there anything at all that can be done?  I really wanted this to work with T-Mobile, but if there isn't some sort of issue that can be resolved, it looks like we're going to have to switch again.  Thanks for any suggestions.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Hey, mblogsd!

Welcome to our Support Community! We're glad you made the move over to T-Mobile and we want you to be able to use the services you pay for. To figure out what may be going on, I'll need a little bit of info. Can you tell me what zip code this is happening in and what type of phone she is using?

• mblogsd

Re: No service even though map shows LTE coverage

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for getting back to me.  She travels on route 250 between zip code 44857 and 44805.  She's using an iPhone X.  She has quite poor service through a good portion of that drive, and at work in the 44805 zip code.  Thank you!

Michael

• tmo_amanda

Michael, thanks for the extra info on the two areas your wife frequents! From checking the route on 250 between the two zip codes you provided, I can see a decent amount of spots where cell signal is not super strong. How far away from work does she have to travel in order to pick-up a usable signal? Does it start working once she leaves the building?

• mblogsd

Yes, she gets a signal once outside the building, so I can understand there can be some interference there, but seemed a bit extreme. As for on the route, when going North from Ashland (44805), she will lose signal just north of Bailey Lakes, and not get a signal again until she is North of route 224, but it’s still a rather weak signal. She doesn’t tend to get a decent signal that she can use to make calls again until just South of Norwalk (44857). She could likely make an emergency call if necessary once North of route 224, but other than that, it’s rather spotty.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this!

• patentrace

Is the iPhone X an AT&T or T-Mobile model?  For some phones, the available frequencies differ based on the originally intended carrier.

• tmo_amanda

Gotcha! From the sounds of it, our tech team may be able to help out. You'll want to call either 611 or work with T-Force via Facebook/Twitter to file two separate tickets (one for each location). The solution could be as simple as tilting one of the satellites to boost the signal, but we need to make our Engineers aware. You'll need the full address of each location and 1-2 examples with the time/date of when she recently couldn't get signal in the area. Please give that a shot and keep me updated on the status of your tickets.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

I know Amanda's already mentioned the coverage in that area's a bit spotty. I'm just curious if you've got any more questions. Please let us know.