Slow Data Speeds

carlosdia

Hi, I just switched over from Sprint about a month ago. I’m currently experiencing terrible speeds in my home. I did reached out to T-Mobile and was provided with a signal booster. I get 3-4 solid bars and 9 on the coverage area and my speed is pretty bad. I have two iPhone 8s and two 6s in my place. I don’t remember having his issues with Sprint. I’m attaching three screenshots for speedtests done in three different locations inside our home. Not sure what will happen if we lose

wif.B25C98AF-BD22-4659-B6AD-39BD4624970F.pngDB5513FB-C79D-4607-BE70-66BDB2BDC6BB.png2D678CB3-0E02-4863-A9B3-0C45542F6842.png

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Slow Data Speeds

Those speeds are.....not great... not great at all. Is this only happening when you are at home? If so, can you get me your major cross streets and your ZIP code so I can check the location out?

• carlosdia

The speeds are in my house even when I have 3-4 bars and LTE. My zip code is 23185. Streets you can look are Spinnaker Way and Yardarm.

• britechguy

I do not want to hijack another person's thread, and if that's what I'm doing then please tell me I need to start another one.

I am having precisely the same sort of issue here in ZIP code 24401.  My speeds are congruent with the first two shown by carlosdia:

TmobileSpeedTest.jpg

And I'm even getting Ping results in the several hundred millisecond range with failure of the download test or upload test.  I had been considering dropping my DSL service and going to T-Mobile wireless as my primary internet access, but if this is characteristic I cannot do that.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 with mobile hotspot feature and I have the 4G icon showing and 3-4 bars at all times.

• carlosdia

I just contacted tech support and opened a ticket.

• britechguy

We must have some sort of cosmic connection, as I literally just got off

the phone with 2nd tier technical support.  They couldn't solve the issue

either, so a trouble ticket has been put in for the field engineers to try

to figure this out.     I've consistently had download speeds of 0.5 Mbps

and upload speeds of barely over 1.0 Mbps for days now (which is odd in and

of itself because upload is virtually never faster than download, but

that's been consistent, too).   My fingers are crossed that they'll find

the root cause of this issue!

>

• carlosdia

I was contacted by tech support Friday indicating there was some  antenna maintenance being done around my location but that the maintenance was completed. According to the person I should be good to go now. Well, here’s couple screen shots of what good to go looks like I guess.9F59595F-AE68-4E98-9BDF-A4EDDBE35DEF.png0F133B01-5232-416B-9734-6A24B1C1088F.png

• britechguy

I have not, as yet, heard back.   I certainly hope that "good to go" gets much, much better before I do.

Those speeds don't even approach 2G and are still odd since download is slower than upload in both cases.  That is, as the old saying goes, bass ackwards.

• carlosdia

It is a bit frustrating. I'm sure my speeds with Sprint were far better around here. Separate topic is that Sprint would have deals on iPhones without having to add another line. It seems with T-Mobile you need to add a line if you want to get a good deal. The two iPhone 8s I had before a transfer over from Sprint were both at 50% off!! I was only paying $14.58 for each.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey everyone.

I know it's been a few days, but has anyone received any updates on their tickets? Please let us know. Thanks!

• britechguy

I have not heard word one from anyone since I finished on the original call on June 22nd.

This is something that makes me furious, but shouldn't anymore, because it's become so typical.  If you promise follow-up contact then, for heaven's sake, then MAKE THAT CONTACT!!  It's better to not promise it at all than to promise it and not get any contact back.

I was never given a reference number/ticket number (and I know I should have asked) so I don't even know what I would reference were I to call back.  And I should not be having to call back.

• carlosdia

Check my response from 24 June. I also posted more screnn shots there.

• tmo_mike_c

You haven't touched base with Tech support since the 24th? I feel like we'll need to have engineers take another shot at this. Also, have you tried toggling the LTE feature off to see if the speeds are faster on another connection like 4G.

• britechguy

Serious question:  Why are the devices not doing this sort of switching themselves if they detect abysmal speeds?   I can see no logical reason for having an option, "LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)," that will not try stepping down the list, even if temporarily, when terrible speeds are detected on whatever connection type is currently in use [after some time limit passes - no one wants this sort of switching every 2 seconds if things get erratic for a brief period].

• carlosdia

Speeds are the same after I toggle LTE off.

• britechguy

Same was true for me when I used 3G/2G (autoconnect) option.

I live in an area that's juuuuust outside the "strong" 4G LTE area, even though my phone instantly shows the 4G LTE icon with either 3 or 4 (out of 5) bars if I have WiFi switched off.   The local store says we're supposed to be in an area that's being upgraded, which is likely true.  My block and a couple of blocks around me are still in the "light green" rather than the "dark green" area on the coverage map, a light green dot in a dark green pond (my area as a whole is too small to call the whole local coverage area a "sea.")

I had been hoping to be able to drop my land line and DSL service, but I'm not so sure about that if this can't be fixed.

• tmo_mike_c

britechguy you're completely right about promise. We should have contacted you back, and my apologies we missed the mark on that. When we file tickets, it's tied to your number and would be listed in your account. Tech support should be able to look that information up and check the status. As for manually switching networks, this is a test we like to do for troubleshooting. It helps us isolate a particular band frequency and see if it's causing any hiccups with your data. Please understand, this isn't something we require folks to do to use data. It should just connected to the strongest signal available depending on where you are.

carlosdia I really appreciate you testing that out for me. This definitely means we'll need to have our Tech Care folks revisit that ticket and send it back to our engineering team to help further resolve this.

• britechguy

Latest update, with a preface, the actual SIM card/phone number I am using has changed since this saga started.

I called this morning and explained that I had filed a ticket and provided the number I had been using.  No ticket could be found.  I am positive that I gave the correct number as they were able to pull up my brother-in-law as the actual account holder (that number is one of 4 lines on a family plan).   I cannot explain the disappearance of the ticket, as I talked with both first tier and second tier support, at length, back on June 22nd.  Since I had never received a confirmation number I had nothing else to go on.

I set up my own T-Mobile account along with my partner on the Unlimited 55 plan over this past weekend.   I am still having exactly the same issue with data speeds whether using the phone or using it as a hotspot.  Since it's a Galaxy S7 it's got more than enough "firepower" to act as a fully functional hotspot.  On the phone itself I have a Ping of 39 ms, Download speed 4.96 Mbps, and Upload speed of 1.29 Mbps.   Using it as a hotspot things are even worse, with a Ping of 44 ms, Download speed of 0.44 Mbps, and Upload Speed of 1.45 Mbps.

According to the representative I talked with the tower nearest my home just completed an upgrade as of May 31st.   A new ticket has been opened (and I have a confirmation number) and passed to engineering.   I sincerely hope I will receive a response to this one within 72 hours.   Something's very wrong here and, given how "off" these speeds are, it shouldn't be all that difficult to determine what.

• tmo_mike_c

Thank you for coming back and giving us an update. I'm sorry to hear your ticket couldn't be found, but I'm glad you've opened another. That was the right thing to do. I'm also happy you have the new ticket number. I understand you've been waiting on us to get this all sorted out and we appreciate you giving our engineers more time to fix this for you. Please continue to keep us posted with updates. We wanna see this through to the end.

• britechguy

Just FYI, the confirmation number, which I presume is the ticket number, I was supplied was 2839274  (and I don't consider that private).

As I was out and about today I decided to do some speed testing from my car (and, yes I did pull off) and here are the results:

Location                 Time          Ping (ms)        Download (Mbps)         Upload (Mbps)

Harrisonburg,VA      4:15 PM       47                       37.4                                14.3

"                               4:20 PM       44                       22.0                                18.1

"                               6:40 PM       35                       47.4                                27.1

Mt. Crawford, VA      6:55 PM       38                       23.6                                  8.69

Mt. Sidney, VA          7:02 PM       38                       25.7                                14.0

Verona, VA               7:11 PM       34                       29.3                                   6.14

Staunton, VA            7:18 PM       37                         3.16                                 0.52   (one block away from my home)

"                               7:20 PM        37                      27.4                                   5.50   (my home, outside in the car)

"                               7:25 PM        36                        2.65                                 1.18    (my home, inside)

"                               7:45 PM        39                        2.59                                 1.05    (my home, inside)

If this is useful to the engineers please feel free to pass it on.  The tower that serves my home and the areas surrounding was supposed to have been upgraded at the end of May.  As one can see, the results become hugely variable in the block around my home and generally pretty horrible.  That 27.4 speed I got outside is the first instance of double digits anywhere near to my house that I've gotten in recent weeks.

• tmo_mike_c

I really appreciate you posting this. It's super helpful and I can see this being really useful for our engineers. I tried looking up that ticket and I'm sorry, I wasn't able to find it. When did you file it? I know Tech Care can look in to your account and double check the number. They can also update the ticket with this awesome info you've given about your speed tests

• britechguy

The ticket was created yesterday morning, late morning EDT, and that's the number that came in the text message send by my support tech a few minutes before we concluded the call.

I have also noticed wildly varying speeds, mostly on the 7 Mbps Download or less, but on occasion in the high 20s to low 30s, at home depending on where and when I do the test in the house.  Sometimes moving less than 5 feet can change things, and I don't live in a steel and concrete box.  I got one reading just above 30 Mbps this morning followed by another in the same spot about 10 minutes later of 6 Mbps.

And just now, about 20 minutes later, in hotspot mode with the phone being in the same location where the 30+ and 6 Mbps readings were taken I'm getting download of 0.31 and upload of 1.17.  This kind of variability is just maddening, and isn't occurring in multiple areas within 30 minutes travel of here.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm. I know speed can fluctuate, but that's a bit of drastic change in a matter of minutes. Does your home have multiple levels? If so, are you on one of the upper levels when you run these tests?  I'm also curious if you're seeing your signal bars fluctuate at all. I did triple check that ticket and I'm sorry, I couldn't pull it up. We'll really need to have our Tech Care team open your account and make sure we had the ticket number right when we sent it to you.

• britechguy

Sorry, I see I dropped a digit.  That confirmation number is 28392754.  The 5 was missing.

Another test when out today at Statler Square, which is at the corner of Statler Boulevard and Greenville Rd, gave a ping of 38 ms, 38.8 Mbps Down, 7.0 Mbps Up.  Running right now from in my den it's Ping 36 ms, 3.29 Mbps Down, 0.68 Mbps Up [Jitter 27 ms].

Just back from doing an "around the house, inside and out" tests:

Inside, upstairs:   Ping 36   9.56 D   7.41 U  Jitter 5

Outside, below the inside upstairs location:  Ping 30  6.71 D  6.77 U  Jitter 10

Inside, upstairs, opposite side from test above:  Ping 37  5.42 D  2.08 U  Jitter 10

Outside, close to below the location reported immediately above  Ping 36  7.51 D  5.19 U Jitter 5

And, back in my den:  Ping 33  2.92 D  1.50 U  Jitter 17

The entire set have probably taken me all of 15 minutes to complete.  There's no more than a couple of hundred feet, at most, between the test points and the outdoor figures are sometimes worse than the indoor ones.  It's like I live in the T-Mobile signal Bermuda Triangle as far as data goes.

• britechguy

More data points from around Staunton today (7/1/18):

1:37 PM  1000 Greenville Ave:

P 51 J 19  D 26.8  U 5.75

4:05 PM 90 Lee-Jackson Hwy:

P 39 J 7    D 35.2  U 19.0

And, right now (4:55 PM), in my den on the other side of town:

P 39 J 11   D 2.95  U 1.26

On all of these speed tests I had a minimum of 3 bars, sometimes 4, and the 4G LTE icon on and showing up/down arrow activity.

• tmo_mike_c

This is really great info. I'm guessing those other locations are much further away from your home, right? We'll need to have engineers focus on your home area. Have you gotten any updates on the ticket you filed? My apologies, I'm still having some trouble pulling up that number you gave me.

• britechguy

I guess that depends on how you define "much further".   It's a couple of miles at most.

And, no, I have not received any follow-up and the confirmation number I gave the second time is absolutely the only thing I have to go on, and it came in a text directly from T-Mobile, from "phone number" 5116.

I really appreciate your stick-to-it-tiveness here, but the lack of promised follow-up, even if the status were to be, "We still don't know what's going on, but we're continuing to research it," is appalling.   I am, at this very moment, on the phone with Customer Support, even the rep I'm working with [I'm on hold right now] cannot find the ticket number based on that confirmation number.  She has found a note in my account that a ticket was submitted, but with no note of the number (which is insane), and is in the process of trying to track down that actual ticket number.

When I submitted the ticket the statement from that Customer Support rep was that I would receive a text with the reference number I needed to use to refer to this ticket.   Obviously, that was not the case.

T-Mobile needs to get its house in order with regard to these issues, and fast.   Everyone has been very responsive when I am working with them, but no one seems to be able to pull up anything related to prior contacts which are essential to "continuity of care."

• tmo_mike_c

britechguy we definitely should have followed up if we said we would. I'd like to give you a status update here, but at this point we'd need are our Tech team or our social media T-Force team to open your account and give you updates on that ticket. I understand that doesn't make up for missed followups, but I know either of those teams can look up that ticket and give you specific info about what's going on.

Same thing for you carlosdia . I saw that you opened a ticket too and you'll want to reach out as well since the problem is still going on.

• carlosdia

I wish I have the time to run all these tests around. I still have issues.

• britechguy

These tests take all of a couple of seconds to run when you're anywhere.   Just download the Speedtest (by ookla) app then it's nothing more than tapping a button.  The test completes in well under a minute.  The most work comes from quickly writing down the four parameters' results (Ping, Jitter, Download, Upload).

Now, I'll add more about T-Mobile Customer Care:  It really needs to get its house in order.    The  rep I just got off the phone with, who is out of the Richmond, VA, call center was spectacular.  She was able, after a few minutes research, to give me a definitive (for the moment) answer that wasn't what I wanted to hear, but gave me the information I needed to know:   I am in an area of my town that still has only 2G speeds.    I gather that even though I show 4G LTE reception that the signal is very, very weak.  You could very well be in the same situation.   We're supposed to be upgraded, but there is no firm date for when that will occur (and I had been told by one customer service rep that an upgrade had just occurred at the end of May, which was inaccurate).

Now, why the previous two first line reps, followed by the previous two second line reps, were not able to determine this information and save myself, several of their coworkers, and field engineering the runaround my two tickets have caused remains a mystery.

For tmo_mike_c, the information I received is that my two tickets have Complaint ID Numbers 283 927 38 and 283 927 54, and that they can be located in Grand Central, under the Network tab, right at the bottom.   Both are closed with "no problem found" and the second level customer service reps who were supposed to let me know about this never did for either ticket.  That is simply unacceptable when a direct statement is made that the customer will receive a follow-up call giving the status of the trouble ticket once it is closed.

• tmo_mike_c

Ah, okay. It doesn't normally take this much to get an answer, but I am glad you got in touch and received an update about your area. Network upgrades should improve the service and my apologies you didn't get that answer when you spoke with us before. I know waiting isn't the most ideal answer, but I know our engineers are continuing to improve our coverage and are working to do so as quickly as we can. For what it's worth, you've been informative, extremely patient, and exceptionally helpful. I really appreciate that. I also appreciate the feedback you've given about your experience. I really wish would have gone much smoother for you.

• britechguy

Even though I am far less than pleased about this experience as a whole, the individuals I've worked with in Customer Support (and I include you here, tmo_mike_c) have been pretty consistent in listening to what I have to tell them and taking direct action.  You, for any you, cannot control what is outside your personal sphere of control.

I once worked, many moons ago, for a telecomm giant and have been in retail and waited tables, too.   It is impossible to fix what you don't know about, and most people want to fix what genuinely needs to be fixed, so I do take the time to give feedback, constructive feedback [which is generally not the kind anyone wants to hear, and needs to be delivered forcefully but with respect to the individual receiving it], because it's the only way I have to try to effect change.

I hope that the feedback I've shared does get fed "up the chain" to someone who can effect the necessary changes within T-Mobile itself.   The problem here is not with the individuals I've dealt with, or at least not primarily with them, but with processes.

• tmo_mike_c

That was well said, and I can't thank you enough for sharing the feedback. I agree that getting constructive criticism isn't the easiest pill to swallow, but it's something we embrace here. We know it'll only make us better as a company, and more importantly, better serve people like you that have chosen to be with us. We've got your feedback and we'll work hard to give you the better experience and make our processes as painless as possible.

• carlosdia

Ok, I followed britech's suggestion and ran a bunch of speed tests. The biggest take away is that the signal at my place and around my neighborhood stinks. The tests were done within no more than 5-6 mile ratio from my place. I'm including addresses in some cases or at least streets crossing. All addresses and zip codes are for Williamsburg, VA, mostly 23185 zip code. All tests were down without moving and without using any apps etc.

These are around my neighborhood.

• 4 Bars LTE. 407 Spinnaker way upstairs (close to T-Mobile coverage booster): DL 16.0, UPL 4.29, PING 55MS, JITTER 4.5MS
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. Same address in another room but 20-20 ft away: DL 19.9, UPL 3.96, PING 59 MS, JITTER 6.7 MS
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. Same address but downstairs: DL 6.38, UPL 3.90, PING 59, JITTER 8.9
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. Same address, second test downstairs: DL 15.6, UPL 3.78, PING 59, 8.5
                                                                        • 2 Bars LTE. Same address but in the driveway: DL 2.35, UPL 1.73, PING 55, JITTER 7
                                                                        • 2 Bars LTE. 101 Spinnaker Way: DL 2.02, UPL 2.57, PING 58, JITTER 8
                                                                        • 3 Bars LTE. 609 Schooner Blvd: DL 16.3, UPL 3.66, PING 55, JITTER 8.6

These are all outside my neighborhood.

• 2 Bars LTE. Sheppard Dr and Hubbard Ln, Zip code 23185: DL 35, UPL 7.84, PING 51, JITTER 7.8
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. 109 Hubbard Ln: DL 51, UPL 24, PING 55, JITTER 8.4
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. 842 Merrimack Trail: DL 58.1, UPL 22.2, PING 51, JITTER 8.1
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. Penniman Rd and Springfield Rd: DL 71.7, UPL 26.3, PING 47, JITTER 15
                                                                        • 2 Bars LTE. 4th Street and Sanda Ave: DL 4.16, UPL .54, PING 59, JITTER 20
                                                                        • 1 Bar LTE. 4th Street and Mayfield Rd: DL 0.04, UPL 0.00, PING 752, JITTER 1400
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. 101 Visitor Center Drive: DL 185, UPL 29.7, PING 59, JITTER 7.8 (Almost cry when I see these speeds!!!!!!) I'll say I was surprised here since I rarely see more than one bar when driving around this place.
                                                                        • 3 Bars LTE. 101 Visitor Center Drive: Couldn't believe it so I ran a second test: DL 190, UPL 21.6, PING 59, JITTER 5.3
                                                                        • 3 Bars LTE. 101 Visitor Center Drive (Third test): DL 187, UPL 25.4, PING 59, JITTER 10
                                                                        • 3 Bars LTE. 401 2nd Street: DL 33.1, UPL 7.64, PING 51, JITTER 14
                                                                        • 4 Bars LTE. 701-A Merrimack Trail: DL 33.1, UPL 19.6, PING 51, JITTER 6.2
                                                                        • 1 Bar LTE. Back to 407 Spinnaker Way Driveway: DL 1.34, UPL 1.06, PING 67, JITTER 210
                                                                          • tmo_mike_c

carlosdia I appreciate you also being so thorough with your testing. I agree that these results lean more toward this being an isolated issue in your specific area. I believe we mentioned you having a ticket as well. Have you reached out to have your ticket updated with these results?

britechguy these are very interesting results you've got with your hotspot speeds. Have you always seen a decrease in speeds when using the hotspot function? Also, have you tried setting up the device and tethering the data via USB to see if there's a differences and  DL/UL speeds?

• britechguy

The answer to your question is, "Yes, I've always seen a decrease."

That being said, you have to understand that I only got these two lines at the end of June, and between then and now is really the only time period where I've been doing heavy-duty exploration of using the phones as hotspots.

I will almost certainly try USB tethering as part of my testing process, but I want to do some further testing in multiple locations with using the phone as a hotspot with my computer to see if that has any influence on this issue at all.   I opened a ticket yesterday, but am not going to follow-up on it until I have some hard data to follow up with.

• tmo_mike_c

Okay. Thanks for that information.

I also think that's a great idea to collect data in other locations in regards to the hotspot speeds. I appreciate you giving the USB tethering method a shot as well. For ticket's it's always good to give our engineers a few days to work on it. That way, it'll give them some time to check things out and give an update on the ticket.

• carlosdia

I did call today but was not provided with a ticket number. I also asked if I needed to provide them with the test results but they say they didn't need them. Should I follow up again with tech support?

• tmo_mike_c

It's good to have those examples in case engineers specifically ask for them. So if you do testing like this in the future, keep the results in your back pocket. Sorry you weren't given the ticket number, but you can always ask for it and they'll give it to you. You'll want to give our engineers at least 3 business days to investigate the ticket and give an update. I'm afraid if you follow up too soon, there won't be any update because the engineers are still working the ticket.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, carlosdia!

I know it hasn't been a full three business days yet, but I just wanted to swing by to see if you have any updates for us.

• carlosdia

Another test at 407 Spinnaker Way: 3 Bars LTE. DL 1.20, UPL 1.67, PING 55, JITTE 8.2.

• britechguy

This is getting curiouser and curiouser on my end.

I have found that I can get a 4G LTE speed connection pretty reliably provided I have my phones on the second floor of the house, so that's good.  What's not so good is what's happening if I attempt to use either one (a Samsung Galaxy S7 or a Dougee Y6 Max) as a mobile hotspot.   Even if the phone itself has blazing fast data the hotspot function does not, and by a factor far larger than it should be, as I know the speeds will not match.

As an example, the Y6 has the following when Speed Test by ookla is done directly on it:  P 45     J 4     DL  31.3   UL  12.9

If I am using the device as a mobile hotspot, whether I'm sitting right next to it and my computer indicates it has a perfect WiFi signal or am further away, but still with a strong signal, I am consistently getting figures very similar to the following:   P 59      DL  0.52     UL  0.51  (jitter is not reported on the PC Speedtest app).

The exact same sort of thing is happening with my Samsung Galaxy S7 though, oddly enough, it's best data speeds on the device itself are somewhat lower than the Y6, which I really would not have expected.   It probably has to do with the device size and internal antenna, as the Y6 is much larger than the S7.

This makes mobile hotspot use absolutely impossible, and since the behavior crosses devices (and it doesn't matter if I'm using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi) it's pretty clear that it's not likely to be the device end of things.

I actually need this stuff to work, as data is more important to me than voice, by far.