No service abroad - Portugal

magenta5296730

I got to Portugal and I can't get any network service.

Plan: simply prepaid with stateside international talk.

Phone: OnePlus 3 with all existing updates.

Phone is compatible: I was here last year and everything was fine.

Checklist (things I have tried already): reboot phone, remove and reinsert SIM card, manual/auto network registering, reboot again, check whether the phone gets service with another SIM card here (it does).

It has to be a network issue.

Any suggestion as to how to solve this? Need connection badly to receive messages.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: No service abroad - Portugal

Welcome to our Support Community, magenta5296730! You've come to the right place to find out why you're not able to connect to the network in Portugal after all of the troubleshooting steps you've already tried. When you traveled to Portugal last year, did you have the exact same plan? Our Simply Prepaid plans, even with Stateside International Talk & Text, do not include International roaming.

• tmo_marissa

Hey there! Just wanted to take a minute to ask if you'd read over Amanda's reply above. Stateside International Talk is an awesome benefit that assists with international dialing while you're located in the US, but it doesn't provide international roaming. Is this the plan you were on when you took your trip?

• magenta5296730

That is a bit odd as I got different information from a store.

I am aware that the stateside is an option and not a plan and does not provide international roaming fares. I was however expecting that any plan would provide international roaming just at different rates - as is the standard in other countries.

In any case, yes, I did not change my plan and it seems quite amazing a plan does not allow for the possibility of receiving phone calls and text messages when abroad.

• tmo_chris

I think what is happening here is that you do not have the required feature on your account to allow international roaming. This is a $0 feature that can be added to your plan. This will allow your phone to connect to the international network but you must have additional funds on your account to call, sms, and MMS.

SMS is - $0.50 to send, $0.10 to receive

Picture/video messaging: $0.25 to send and receive

•Data roaming: not available with prepaid plans

Calls are $2.39/min.

Please Contact Us and our care teams can get this $0 feature added to your account if it was removed somehow.

• pedromenezes

Hello Chris

I too had the same problem. Once I got to Portugal, the phone wouldn't even register on the network.

I don't actually need to make calls, sms, mms or use data as I have a Portuguese SIM card and another phone; but I DO need to know if someone calls me or texts me.

When I came back I checked on the store and on your support contact phone they said I need to use a PostPaid service.

But then on the store I confronted them with this page (https://www.t-mobile.com/pdfs/IntlCallingRates ) which they weren't aware of this policy

(personal note: maybe PrePaid International coverage should be cleared out within T-Mobile services as I none of the stores or support phone said I could use my T-Mobile PrePaid service, I had to go PostPaid).

The conclusion that we came to was indeed the same as you explain, I most likely need to put add extra funds to ensure that I am able to receive calls or SMS.

So, if I add extra funds (on top of the monthly prepaid ammount) do I need to do anything to enable this $0 feature on my plan as you explain?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Did you still need help with this?