LG G6 Oreo Update

qs05

I'm a T-mobile fan all the way. They've treated me well, and I've convinced several friends and family members to make the switch.

That being said, T-mobile has fallen down hard on support for the LG G6. LG drug their feet releasing Oreo, and that's no fault of T-mobile, however, they've released it. Now, every other carrier has released Oreo for the G6, except T-mobile. Not cool guys. Make this right.

All replies

• dsandyguy

Re: LG G6 Oreo Update

I would like to know a timeframe too. It's very disappointing that T-Mobile has been dragging their feet on this. Every other US carrier, the unlocked variant, and other countries have the Oreo update. T-Mobile has been very disappointing in their software support.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • joe1994

According to the Tmobile website its in development for the G6. I personally would not expect it any time soon. The LG G7 is out with Android Oreo. I guarantee you T-Mobile's way of thinking is why should they deploy Oreo for a device that is a year old when they know if they drag their feet two things will happen. First people will give up on it. 2) they know eventually that if a person wants Oreo bad enough they will upgrade to the G7 or get another phone that has it.

If it does arrive for the G6 I would be cautious about installing it. Considering every other carrier has updated their G6 to Oreo and T-Mobile G6's are still on Android N. I would expect a rush job with a host of problems.

• steven.rn@gmail.com

I've sold so many people on T-Mobile, and for good reasons- great carrier service, policy and prices.  I looked into picking up a Note 8 or maybe 2 S9+'s a month or so ago (nice deals) - but said to myself "hang on self, see how they treat this LG6 I bought last year, full price, no BOGO..." (I was one day early!  I refused to take the phone back out of principle- it just wouldn't be honest,)

I was curious about where the update was, so I chatted with a support rep the other day.  The rep said LG hadn't released Oreo for the G6 to T-Mobile yet.  My heart fell on that one- my honesty toward them wasn't returned in kind.

When the support rep said it was LG's fault for not giving them the update yet, I cringed, The shine fell off my 'magenta outlook'.  I could have taken the truth that "...last year's phone isn't a priority, but just hang on it's coming".  I'd be ok with that.

I have carried as many as 8 lines at a time with TMO, and been supportive from the get go.  I actually enjoyed being a TMO rah-rah, and It's sad to have to lower my customer expectations, aAnd the illusion of some kind of partnership with a carrier.  I'll miss that 'excitement' factor I was into, but it's time to get real, I guess.

Steve

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • talldreamz69

I was told by a rep that the release was possibly scheduled to roll out the today the 19th! Hang tight and lets see what happens! #longoverdue #comeon

• tmo_lauren

Unfortunately I don't have a timeline to offer on the G6 at this point.

It is currently under development and being created, which you can see here - LG G6: Updated to Android 8.0 but does not have an estimated completion.

It is at a stage where LG still has the update, not T-Mobile. There are things the carrier can do to hold the update up during testing, mostly if it's not passing carrier quality tests, but updates are largely device manufacturer driven. I know that's an unsatisfying answer overall since we are your service provider and who you deal with closer, but manufacturers do ultimately hold the cards for software updates.

That said, it is our responsibility to advocate for the users on our network using those devices waiting on updates, so we'll continue to pass the requests for speediness on and keep working to get additional updates on the status of Oreo!

Fingers crossed it won't be too much longer.

-Lauren

• qs05

This is simply untrue. Unlocked, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint LG G6 phones have all been updated to Oreo.

• tmo_lauren

That can still be entirely accurate while another carrier waits on an update. Manufacturers can run into hiccups for proprietary software pieces each carrier has, for example, our WiFi calling or our account app, or they can prioritize the carrier they sell more of a specific device on.

Ultimately, it is still the manufacturer that develops the updates themselves, for all carriers. The update for VZW was produced by LG, Sprint was completed by LG, devices that are unlocked and don't have a carrier to complete an update, also LG!

We provide the service, they ultimately support the device software. But as I mentioned, it definitely is our responsibility to advocate for the updates which will we continue to do.

-Lauren

• steven.rn@gmail.com

Customer support from T-Mobile is the best of any carrier, and certainly leaves dumb and dumber in the dust.

My takeaway from this situation is that T-Mobile has less clout with the manufacturers than other carriers, so we should realistically expect our updates to be last in line regardless of model.  Would it make more sense to buy an unlocked phone that is compatible with TMO?  I usually pay them off right away anyway.

Might be the best of both worlds, if that would work.

• sslman71

Yes, unlocked is better for not having bloatware in the first place. No T-Mobile is not the best carrier. That is totally wrong, when everything that is said from them is a lie. The only answer you get is not even an answer but a page that basically hardly changes at all about software updates. People keep defending them, and it really the testing phase is T-Mobile but that is all you get from them. Keep saying it is the OEM but really OEM takes from their testing then sends back if that does not work for the OEM. Then the circle of testing continues until actually carrier fixes or tells OEM of the problems are fixed. So no matter what it keeps coming down to the testing from carrier. If they would not keep passing it as bad, then it would have been released sooner for all OEM devices. That is another reason that unlocked is better than branded phones. Even if OEM is last to update unlocked. At least you do not get the crap added from carriers.

• hansanonymous

I'm really sorry, but I just had to create a forum account just to respond to you. I'm just going to respond to everything you've said in order. First of all, saying everything they've said is a lie is a fallacy. For example, they have no real reason to actually lie about the update for the LG G6, if they don't have it, then they don't have it. It's not like they want to just not give it to us. They still would like to keep their customers. Next sure, people keep defending them and that's because some of us are actually really loyal to them. Next, how do you know it's in that testing phase? They have the ability to change the update page to inform us, and since they haven't, it's probably because it still is (at the time of writing this) still in manufacturer development. Now, if you say that T-Mobile just keeps sending it back because it's bad, would you want a phone that is bad? Or would you want a phone that is more polished with less issues? Does your phone work? Does it call and text? You don't *need* Android Oreo. Sure it's nice to have the features, but a phone is still a phone. I've been looking forward to Android Oreo on LG G6 and I keep waiting, but I'm staying patient. Lastly, all that extra crap you say is actually useful to many users. Okay, I agree that there's bloatware that can be unnecessary, but there are some apps that are there for you to be used as tools to be taken advantage of such as the help app or the T-Mobile app so you can stay informed. Also, ever since the T-Mobile support responded (Lauren), it's the best thing I've heard in quite a while which I appreciate. Thanks for the update and clarification

• magenta5341110

Then.perhaps it might be better to think of another carrier one that has more clout . Why get another phone from tmobile if they can't support it adequately ?

• qs05

Unlocked versions have zero carrier clout. They already have the update.

• don9992

I guess we need to be careful what we wish for.  Oreo is the buggiest Android version I've ever used.  The most annoying are:

- App updates create duplicate icons with no way to delete them without deleting the entire app

- The UI crashes a couple of times a day requiring a reboot

I'd revert to Nougat in a heartbeat.  Oreo has, thus far, been a total piece of crap.