T-Mobile Military Commercial

magenta5238409

As a member of the military, your latest tv ad for a military discount is disturbing.

When military members at the ballpark are asked to stand, where are the women?

Please don't tell me that there's a woman standing way back in the cheap seats. The only standing military members clearly visible are men.

Someone was incredibly ignorant about this major oversight. I know a lot of people had to approve this ad before it aired and it's a sad commentary that either:

No one noticed or no one cared.

I look forward to your response. Thank you.

All replies

• dc5fan

Re: T-Mobile Military Commercial

Thank you for your service! I didn't serve, but I was an Air Force brat for the first 18 years of my life. My dad retired as a Master Sergeant in 1967.

• tmo_marissa

Thank you for your service, magenta5238409! Like dc5fan, I haven't served personally, but was an Army brat for the first 22 years of my life until my father retired as a Lt. Col. I've had other family members serve in other branches as well, and we sponsored cadets during our tour at West Point -- men and women, of course!

This topic is pretty near and dear to me, personally, and I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

I took a look at the ad, and while I noticed some women standing, you're totally right that the foreground focus on the men in the ad feels like an oversight -- especially for a progressive company like ours. We're going to forward the feedback to the ad team -- thank you so much for taking the time to post.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • magenta5238409

Hi Marissa,

Thanks for taking my concern seriously. I do want to add that I know the spot showed heavily around Father's Day and may have been the reason it was created to begin with. However, that's still no reason to not prominently feature women service members as well as the men.

To that point, my father was assassinated by the Kurdish rebels while being stationed in Ankara, Turkey (where I was born) in 1961. As a result of my father's death, my mother had to become both my mother and my father. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this situation. Even more reason to feature women prominently as military members (not that my original post wasn't reason enough).

Thank you again