Carrier Freedom Through Costco Kiosk

sideoutjj

Last night I bought four phones (not leased, outright bought) and they were 3 Samsung S9+ and 1 IPhone 8+.  I was told via the customer service rep there at the Kiosk that I would be eligible for the "carrier freedom" program since I would be switching from Sprint to TMobile.  Now that I am a member of TMobile, I went through some of the links on here and its telling me I am not eligible.  I am very confused.  How do I determine if I am eligible or not?  I do not want this to turn out to be a 3K mistake and I am now stuck with these phones and a plan on TMobile and owing Sprint several thousands for their phones since I leased them through Sprint.

Thoughts?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Carrier Freedom Through Costco Kiosk

Hey there! Did you have a service contract with Sprint or were you leasing phones through them?

• sideoutjj

I had both a contract and phone lease.   I keep getting emails from Sprint telling me that I have to send the phones back to them.

• sideoutjj

I honestly do not remember if the process was discussed at that time or not as there was a lot of confusion going on at that time.  I am not too confident that they (The Costco Kiosk Employees) will know what to do and I don't think I will get much help from a conventional TMobile store since I did not buy the phones from them.  Sprint is still adamant that I return the phones to them and also pay all the cancelation fees.  Thanks in advance for all the help.

• tmo_chris

Ahh, okay. They are still gonna ask you to pay for them and you are responsible for paying them. With our carrier freedom reimbursement program, we send you the money that you will use to pay your previous carrier for the EFT or device payment plans. I want to make sure you get qualified though so we can send you that money. We are going to need to take a closer look at your account to see what specifically happened. If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, please use the links in my signature to message our T-Force team. They will be able to securely access your account and see exactly what happened. 

• sideoutjj

Thanks Chris for the information.  I tried talking to someone from TMobile last night on the phone but that was a bust.  Seems like no one really knows what to do with the old phones...no offense.  I have had this account for only 1 week and already been a royal pain to figure out.

• sideoutjj

My wife has a facebook account so I will log in on her account and send a message to the team.  Is that what is best?

• carlosdia

The process for getting T-Mobile to pay for the phones with Sprint is not hard, I went through that just over a month ago. The main thing for me was to ask questions and also stop by the store. The help here on this discussion forums is good but nothing beats talking to a person face to face. I had some issues to begin with but that was due to an employee from the reimbursement department that had no clue. When I went to the store, the manager reached out to a T-Mobile customer service manager. T-Mobile emailed us UPS shipping labels for me to send the two iPhone 8s I had with Sprint. Each had a balance of $495.80. I shipped the phones, emailed my bill showing the total balance on the phones and was issued the payment once the phones were received and after T-Mobile confirmed they were in excellent shape. I then paid Sprint once the bill with the final balance on equipment was posted. Sprint will automatically generate those emails/notifications because they're seeing you left. I called Sprint as soon as I got the first email to let them know that I will pay the phones as soon as T-Mobile gave me the money. I asked them to add a note on my account, they were fine with that.

• sideoutjj

I was starting to lose all hope until I reached out via Facebook and got in touch with someone on there named Matt.  Talk about a man that will do what it takes to get the job done.  WOW

Bottom Line:  The people at the Costco kiosk spoke with their area manager regarding this situation and they were basically told there ws nothing they could do since I bought the phones in store instead of ordering them online and having them shipped to myself.  Once I told Matt what they said, he jumped on the ball and took care of me.  He costantly reached out to me asking what he could do to help.

I am not sure if this is a 3rd party reseller issue or just a particular store issue, but its taken me almost 1 solid week of communications with many people to get this resolved.  Big thanks go out to Matt from Facebook and Jamie in the rebate center.