Galaxy s7 8.0 update lunch date

bilal0204

Please tell me a 8.0 update date plz for galaxy s7

All replies

• sslman71

Re: Galaxy s7 8.0 update lunch date

They won't give you any information to let you feel better and there is already a thread about this, which basically your getting no where better than the other threads started about this. T-Mobile just sucks and lies, and gives no time at all while other networks are getting it for the s7 and s7 edge. I predict Sprint gets it before T-Mobile, and that makes 3 out of the 4 major networks get it before T-Mobile customers do to the fact that they do not contact Samsung to push it sooner. They are just ignoring the fact their customers want it in a timely manner and tell us nothing, while Samsung is probably expecting them to actually say when the update should go when T-Mobile says. T-Mobile is testing it, which is holding Samsung off. All I can say is if the other two Verizon and AT&T can release it in last few days, then so can T-Mobile. So they are doing something that is keeping it from coming OTA. Also, keeps proving that T-Mobile sucks more. Others can keep saying that it is Samsung's fault but really T-Mobile tests it before it goes back to Samsung.

• tmo_amanda

Good morning, bilal0204!

We don't have a date available for when Oreo will be released on the S7, however, it is in the testing phase. You can read more about the update here: Samsung Galaxy S7: Updated to Android 8.0. You also have the option to "follow" that page so you'll receive notifications when the status changes. 

• bac2think

If the responses continue to be that vague, your more likely to **** people off versus if you hadn't responded at all.

Step up and give some real information.

T-MOBILE claims it's brand as being special because they are different, the whole "un-carrier" thing is all about that. However, corporate vagueness makes that hypocritical.

I don't know what the delay is, but the S7 needs this update because it needs to fix some of the mediocre performance of the S7 especially the battery

Be better T-MOBILE, live up to your branding.

• richmiguel

It is the same question we ask many, we have to be patient and wait to receive the final version, list and without errors.

• beowulfbardou

I agree with all these comments. The firmware has been in testing with T-Mobile for about a month now. There is absolutely NO reason for that. Giving us the best software and making sure the software works with your equipment, my a***! Trying to fit all the bloatware you can and not putting this update on a higher priority is more like it! If the software isn't working with your equipment, then BE OPEN and TELL us instead of keeping it all a secret. That's the "un-carrier" thing to do. If ATT and Verizon are able to get their bloatware on the update and get it out to customers fairly fast, so can you guys! So get off your butts and actually do it. It's not on Samsung anymore and hasn't been for about a month! So, stop playing around and actually get it to your customers!

• richmiguel

I think that T-Mobile must put more effort in the updates of the mobile equipment since many of us need the updates to keep our phone up to date and thus avoid anything else that affects

• beowulfbardou

How does it help when the updates take so freaking long to get to the phones that the updates are no longer the most current update? Besides they aren't changing their own equipment, IE the cell towers. There really isn't much in the way of equipment that they need to test it on. The phones themselves are NOT made by T-Mobile, therefore the phones are NOT T-Mobile's equipment. The manufacturers do test the phones they produce with the updates and the ONLY "equipment" T-Mobile actually would need to test them with are their towers and all of the bloatware, IE Apps, the T-Mobile TV app, the T-Mobile Tuesday app, The T-Mobile app (NOT required for the phone to function) Device Unlock, T-Mobile Name ID (not required to get caller ID), Mobile HotSpot APP (The actually app which is not required to use the mobile hotspot) all the apps T-Mobile puts on there that is NOT required for the phone to function, that they put on the phones. That is IT, there is no other equipment carriers need to actually test the updates on, considering the manufacturers already do the tests to make certain it works with THEIR devices IE the phones. T-Mobile does not own the patent for the S7. SAMSUNG does. Samsung has been testing and working with the Oreo update since early this year. T-Mobile does not need to worry about testing it on the S7 Because Samsung has ALREADY tested Oreo on the S7. All S7's are exactly the same concerning the hardware. The only differences between the T-Mobile version vs. the AT&T or Verizon, or Sprint, or UK, or ANY version is the software, IE what the phones allow, don't allow, and the bloatware. There is no difference in the hardware. Which means Samsung already spent MONTHS on testing the Oreo update and fixing it for all of the S7's that exist.

• richmiguel

With the time they have in Phase Test, there should be a clear explanation, because in Europe the update was implemented and has been quite successful, where users of the Galaxy S7 already feel satisfied, and giving a clear explanation is something that be real

• beowulfbardou

That is part of my point. They DON'T give any explanation whatsoever. Also, the phones themselves do not really change compared to the other versions. What does change is the software, little tweaks that Samsung does to tailor the phones to the given architecture of the equipment. Samsung does the tweaking not T-Mobile. Samsung already has those tweaks and have already put it in the different software versions.

• richmiguel

We agree, in T-Mobile the customer service are with the machines that only say two things you do not know and it will be soon, because now they are the important ones, not the clients, to which always of said that if a company of Telecomunicacion does not pay attention to the client this goes to another that provides real information and no information to media or leave the client empty

• theartiszan

Actually 2 things to point out. For the S7, they were actually different hardware variants for each carrier. They were all not u devices like the 8 and 9. T-Mobile did try being more transparent in the past. They even gave tentative release dates. But as bugs were found and needed to be fixed so the date moved, they got sued. So they no longer give that information. Ultimately it is the manufacturer that does the development and the carrier only tests it for network compatibility and informs the manufacturer of any issues for fixing before public release.

• beowulfbardou

Since you obviously know the differences between the different versions, then tell me. What are the actual hardware differences between them? and why can I run the AT&T, unlocked, sprint, and Verizon firmware on my T-Mobile original phone and it work just fine aside from the fact that it runs a little slower than the T-Mobile software due to the radio bands being disabled by the firmware and not being optimized for connecting to T-Mobile's cell towers but instead the respective carrier's cell towers, genius? I'm not talking about the little apps that they install and are more often than not, just bloatware and that you can get from the play store. I am talking about the actual firmware, the backbone software, the thing that would change the baseband version and the build number.

• beowulfbardou

Don't believe me? Do a little research and read this thread from XDA forums (a HUGE community all about stuff like this and customizing your phones). Will an S7 Edge (T-Mobile) work on Verizon? | T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge  (DISCLAIMER: If you don't know what you are doing when flashing firmware and changing the firmware, DO NOT ATTEMPT! You can very easily Brick your phone to the point of you cannot even use it for anything but a paper weight)

• richmiguel

I think that having a little attention to your customers would be a feasible option and not leave a client in the air so that the client does not despair, therefore all companies should be transparent

• sslman71

Yep, and who is testing it right now? T-Mobile! Why hasn't Samsung pushed it? T-Mobile is the hold up. Keep saying it is Samsung that is the fault but they can't do a thing without it done being tested can they? Why is T-Mobile so slow on the testing? No clue on that one, since all the other networks have it, and now the Active is getting the rollout even before T-Mobile users and the unlocked phones. Unlocked phones are waiting for all carriers to get it, and since T-Mobile devices are not even moving any where on this, the unlocked ones will never receive it. You guys just keep making excuses for the OEM and T-Mobile, while were are still waiting for nothing to happen. By you guys, I mean the ones that defend T-Mobile, and say it is Samsung being the hold up. Oreo is already old news for months now. Almost not even worth the more wait.

• bac2think

The Verizon or AT&T versions of the update would be unlikely to work based on my understanding, because they function on a different radio platform (cdma vs gsm, if I remember correctly)

There's a chance that the soon to be merger partners version Sprint would be most likely to work if any of them, but I don't know enough to say how likely it would be.

• beowulfbardou

If you actually read my post, then you would've read that they did work. You are correct on the fact that the different radio platforms does cause issues but, it did work. For all of the US varients the hardware is exactly the same. So the US T-Mobile version of the S7 has the hardware to work on the CDMA platform, the US Verizon version of the S7 has the hardware to work on the GSM platform. The issue is more that the software that tailors it to the specific networks have disabled the hardware. So if you were to install the opposite software on them then you would get the ability to use that hardware that was previously disabled. If you were to install the manufacturer unlocked version then you would have access to both of the different platforms.

• sslman71

I would agree on installing unlocked firmware on my s7 edge from T-Mobile after sim unlocking through the app but Verizon still not bother with my phone. So no, it will not work with just any unlocked firmware from the carrier you want to use from. This phone from T-Mobile is still locked to GSM only but unlocked to use on AT&T. No Sprint and No Verizon. So if you want fully unlocked phone to all 4 major carriers then buy a unlocked international one. 1st time unlocking a branded phone and now regretting even bothering. Just like they lie about getting free stuff signing up with T-Mobile, they lie about fully unlocking your phone.

Don't say I don't have unlocked firmware on my phone. I have the SM-G935U (TMK) version on my phone with G935UUEU4BRD1. Since April 25th.

Unless, you think I have to install the Verizon version of unlocked firmware but that seems a little too much hassle to go from one firmware over to another just to use on a network. Having a chance of bricking your phone each time you do it too. I think I am good at just being T-Mobile bloatware free and toggle of data in notification panel now, is just fine for me without having to switch carriers. I can still use the phone on some prepaid services.

• richmiguel

I believe that T Mobile should hasten the pace, because the new actions are being left behind, in a matter of updates they do not give information since from this weekend we are waiting

• sslman71

Truth is that none of these posts asking for the update are resolved until the update is actually on our phones. How can anyone say something is resolved when it is not even resolved yet? That is stupid. Saying it is coming soon, is not a solution. Solution is actually getting it. This is the problem with customer service now a days. They say one thing and assume us customers are just going to calm down when nothing happens after a while. That is dumb thinking, is what that is. Does nothing at all. The major problem that should be a fix is the T-Mobile company in getting things done, and they rather just keep saying things that do nothing at all, than actually doing something to fix what customers are upset about. People are not going to believe what someone says until that thing they are complaining about actually happens. So as for today until then, this will never be resolved for updates. No matter the defending of T-Mobile or OEM.

• richmiguel

I do not know but I think that the clients have reasons, besides the time of irno of a service company, for their bad services to the client, as for me I do not buy a T-Mobile phone anymore, because they do not update their phone to weather.

In my opinion they do not give value to the users of the network, they only care that they have to pay monthly without failing, they do not think about the user.

therefore T-Mobile must put more effort in its customer service which is pessimistic

• robertg12345

It's shortly after midnight central time and I'm happy to say my S7 is receiving the update!!! Everyone check your phones!

• richmiguel

I just received the update of Android Oreo 8 on my galaxy S7 Normal, everything works fine

• richmiguel

screenshot of my Mobile, with the latest version of Android 8 Oreo

Screenshot_20180629-131922_Settings.jpg

• magenta3169341

Update was smooth, but it's pretty sluggish...  I'm going to go ahead and do a factory reset and see how much of the Samsung proprietary garbage I can disable (not much, I'm guessing).  Will somebody please tell Samsung that we want excellent hardware, stable drivers, and prompt updates?  Every single one of their garbage "enhancements" that they won't let me remove pushes me closer and closer to Pixel...

• magenta3169341

Still pretty pokey, but better  How much of that is due to the fact that it now runs the lower FXD resolution and has half as much data and apps loaded I can't say...