Latest software update for Note 8 is junk

jmurdochiv

Greetings,

I just wanted to let you know that the latest software version for T-mobile's Note 8 really is annoying.  I run 3 Note's in my family.  All with different apps, settings, etcetera.  All are having freezing issues.  Sometimes they will auto-reboot after a freeze, most of the time you need to do a forced reboot. 

Yes, we have cleared the android cache.  Yes we have done master resets.  (And can I tell you how annoying that is.)  I have read other messages on the boards, and I don't believe we are alone. 

When can we expect a patch to solve this issue?  My daughter is now making fun of me that her iphone is now performing better than the android, especially after Samsung just released a commercial about this very issue. 

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Latest software update for Note 8 is junk

Hey, jmurdochiv!

Welcome to our Support Community! Knowing exactly what's going on and what steps you've already taken is extremely helpful. As of right now, we don't have any workarounds, nor do we have a date for any upcoming updates available. Have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode yet? Safe mode: Samsung Galaxy Note8 As for your daughter, I'm an iPhone user as well and let me tell you...we have our fair share of bumps in the road, too!

If Safe Mode doesn't do the trick, at this point we'll likely have to wait for the next update to head your way.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • jmurdochiv

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the response.  I just tried "Safe Mode."  That takes all the functionality out of the phone all together.  No access to my google calendar, or other things that you use a smartphone for.  I have tried all resets.  The only thing I haven't tried is going to Verizon, or another carrier's board, and seeing if they are having the same problems.  I know that after a version update, each carrier takes the platform and tweaks it to that specific carrier.  So, is the problem in Android, Samsung, or T-mobile's code writers? 

If you can pass something along to the powers to be.  There is now a known issue with this update.  Other platforms seems to be working well, (S8, or the dreaded iphones lol)  If customer satisfaction is  important to T-mobile, then the powers to be might want to put this issue fairly high on the "let's get this fixed" list. 

As for the iphone, don't tell my daughter that.  I understand as I am the tech-guy in the house to fix everything.  But to her Apple is so much greater than Android, and when she gets an opportunity like this, I never hear the end of it!  LOL. 

Thanks again for your help.  I hope T-mobile can/will get it fixed soon.

• jmurdochiv

Or the other answer, root it and put a custom version on.  But that shouldn't be a correct answer.

• tmo_mike_c

Yeah, we don't recommend rooting the phone. Sometimes that can do more harm than good. We suggest Safe mode just to test the phone's behavior without 3rd party apps running. When you did the reset, have you tried leaving off downloaded apps and programs to see if the freezing stopped? There are times that certain apps can make phones go wonky after a software update like this, so testing it with only pre-installed programs is something you'll want to try if you haven't already.

• debjitjdv

jmurdochiv

Thanks for all your detailed post and I enjoyed reading it. Can you try the following:

1. Backup everything in Samsung Cloud (from Settings -> Clouds and Accounts -> Samsung Cloud)

2. Do a Master Reset using the Samsung Smartswitch Software using your laptop or desktop

3. Set it up as a brand new phone and DO NOT INSTALL any THIRD PARTY APP immediately.

Run like this barebone configuration for a few days and see how it goes. I believe it will make things better. My hunch is one or more than one of the apps are having a conflict with Oreo causing this abnormal behavior. Please keep me posted.

And for your daughter, please remind her, iOS 11 is full of bugs. Nothing to laugh at. Just kidding.

And since its Note 8, I believe you are still under warranty. If nothing works, do a warranty exchange by just paying $20. You will get a brand new Note 8 again (they say like new but I have seen its new)

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, jmurdochiv! Fellow unlikely/reluctant family tech support person here; I feel your pain!
                  I wanted to check in and see if you'd had a chance to take a look at Mike's explanation of the Safe Mode test -- or test out the suggestion that debjitjdv offered. How are things going for you?

• tmo_amanda

jmurdochiv, I just wanted to swing by to see if you had any updates for us after following Mike or debjitjdv's suggestions. Keep us updated if you see any improvement with your Notes not freezing anymore.

• jmurdochiv

Well, to be honest, I haven't had the time to drop a phone to safe mode or "bare bones" / factory reset.   I am quite reluctant actually because like I said, I have 3 phones running the T-mobile build.  Any common apps that they have would be google/samsung based.  (I notice the glitch when going to landscape in youtube on all the phones. or switching on the samsung camera app)   But because it is intermittent, running without the stuff I need, for a few days.  Not really an option. Maybe next week I can take one of the phones to safe mode and spend some time trying to duplicate the problem. 

• tmo_amanda

Understandable, jmurdochiv. Putting your device in Safe Mode doesn't reset your device or delete any of your stored information. Instead, it just runs the phone without third-party apps. When you're able to test this out, please let us know if any of the Notes see an improvement.

• tmo_amanda

It's me again, jmurdochiv! I'm sorry if our check-ins are getting redundant; we like to make sure everything gets fixed! Did you have a chance to put any of the Notes in Safe Mode? If so, did you notice any changes?

• jmurdochiv

Ok, I did have a chance to put one of my main phones into safe mode, and the problem did occur.  It was difficult to reproduce as the problem is intermittent anyway, and I did not have the normal apps I would have been using when the problem occurs.  So here is what I have done so far:

Phone 1 - This is a note 8 that does not have a SIM Card but is still used on a wi-fi use only.  It still gets T-mobile updates.  This phone is more of a back-up and used for some minor tasks.  It is kept pretty "bare" and I have done a full reset on it.  Because it doesn't have the use that the other phones have it was difficult to know if the factory reset worked.  On Sunday the phone froze when switching from the G-Mail app to youtube, and back. 

Phone 2 - This is my main phone.  This phone has had the Cache reset.  I have not done a factory reset, because it is a pain to set the phone back up as it was.  This phone I have put into safe mode multiple times as I could.  Yesterday I ran it for a while.  I am noticing that the problem seems to be after a camera function.  Either screenshots, or the use of the camera.  Yesterday, while trying to take video of my daughter ice skating, and the phone in safe mode, when I started the app, flipped it to landscape, and hit the record button, the phone semi-froze.  The video was still on the screen, but buttons were un-responsive.  Had to force a reboot.   Also, side note.  I have used safe mode multiple times, and each time I go back to normal, widgets are missing from my home screen.  And in the last week or so, both this phone and "Phone 3" have been getting errors that the T-mobile app has stopped.  I have been reporting mine, and I have asked her to report hers.  (if she has or not??? your guess is probably better than mine.  I am married to her, she switches stuff up on me all the time.  I think it is a wife joy or something....

Phone 3 - This is my wife's phone.  She has had the cache cleared.  She also has noticed the error seems to happen after screenshots or a camera function of some sort, but she says she has noticed it in Facebook as well.  (Again what I don't know is if she was using a camera, or even the gallery, in facebook.)  My assumption is yes, but please see above about getting straight answers from her... LOL.  (I am pretty sure she doesn't use the forums, because if she did, I wouldn't be talking so BIG! LOL)

Phone 4 - This is my Dad's phone.  I am not sure what he actually uses it for other than Candy Crush.  We were out to dinner with him on Sunday and I asked how his phone has been doing.  He said, "Good."  I asked if he has noticing it lagging or freezing up over the past month or so.  He said "Once or twice"  "Do you remember what you were doing when it happened."  --- He stared blankly at me.   Ok,  So dad's phone is doing it too, but when, how often any of that, no clue!

I have been poking around some of the other forums.  It seems there is enough of a problem that it has hit a few threads.  I don't know that these forums are specific to T-mobile builds, and am assuming not.  I really don't want to factory reset my main phone.  Especially since there is no guarantee that it will work.  But the other forums seem to say the same thing.  Clear the Cache, Run safe mode and identify the app, and ultimately factory reset. 

Knowing it is happening on 3 devices I have access to, and other devices out there, I don't think it is an isolated problem to a few corrupt apps.  So, I will wait for the next patch and see what that does.  I am just hoping the concerns get to the code writers so they can put some extra emphasis on "bug fixes" within the next few update/patch cycles.   Thanks!

• tmo_amanda

It sounds like your family keeps you on your toes, jmurdochiv, haha! And yes, we have to keep our husbands on their toes by constantly switching stuff up; it's in our DNA. There are some times that I feel sorry for my husband because he not only gets to deal with me but also a 6-year-old version of me.

As far as your phone goes, I think it's safe to say that a master reset won't do your phone any good at this point. After reading over what happens between each of the four devices, it's clearly a software issue. It's interesting that you've essentially narrowed it down to the freezing happening after using the camera in some shape or form. I will definitely pass along your findings to our Samsung team. It's possible that I'll have a response from them today but this is something that may have to be fixed with a future update.

• jmurdochiv

On a side note, I also noticed yesterday that the Facebook app caused a few "soft" crashes.   Phone would freeze for a time, then reboot itself.  I didn't have to force a reboot.   But FB updates their app about every 3 hours.  (Sarcasm) and I am pretty sure that the fb freezing is unrelated . Just thought I'd toss that out there for anyone who might find it useful.

Thanks for the help and the humor.  We will see how future patches go!

• tmo_amanda

Oh Facebook....smh! I'm pretty sure you're right about the updates rolling out so fast. So good and not so good news. In the upcoming update, it doesn't address freezing. However, I have a few people that would like to get some info from you with regard to your devices and figure out what's going on. I'm sending a private message. You can check your inbox here.