Sending texts using somebody elses phone number

martinez5537

My husband told me that he received a text message from me today but I haven't sent a text today at all.  He said that the text shows that came from my phone.  Is it possible to send a text to somebody showing a different phone number?

All replies

• default_name

I am having a similar issue, but with calls instead - I got 8 voicemails from people yesterday claiming I called them but I didn't call anyone. I filed a police report because one of them left a pretty threatening message and I'm really freaked out.

I found a way this morning to block calls that aren't from my contacts but now they're texting me and I don't know what I can do to stop this.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, martinez5537  and default_name !

I appreciate the both of you taking time to post about your experience with this. While this isn't the first I'm hearing of an issue like yours, this hasn't been identified a texting spam in the wireless industry. I was working with another user with a similar situation last week: We need to figure out why and how this is happening. What type of phones are each of you using? I'd like to see if I can compile some info to pass up the chain so we can start looking into this. Also, has this only happened once or have you experienced this before?

• tmo_amanda

Good morning, martinez5537 and  default_name!

I just wanted to follow-up to see if you've had a chance to look over my last reply. We really want to get to the bottom of what's going on and see if we can identify why this is happening. Keep me updated!

• default_name

Hi Amanda- sorry for the delayed response. I ended up calling T Mobile and getting my phone number changed because as much as I loved my old phone number, I got the impression from a few Google searches that it wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

I'm not sure if anyone got texts from my number specifically or if they were all phone calls - I got several texts with messages like "Sorry, I'm driving right now" or "I can't answer the phone right now" which I assume were automatic responses to "calls" from my number, but I don't really have a way of knowing if they also had texts from me or not. I do know that I got 34 calls in one day so whoever is doing this is calling a *lot* of people with my number.

I don't remember this ever happening before to me and had to research it online since no one I know has heard of this either. I have had missed calls before from other numbers that looked like mine and just assumed it was spam, but I always thought the spammers actually owned those numbers and not that they just stole them from other people.