Coverage problems after switching

magenta5138438

So I recently switched my family over to T-Mobile from Verizon, we kept our Verizon phones and were told they would still work with T-Mobile network, now that we have switched over and we have the service, it’s horrible. Our phones always say no service and they always cut out on us and when we are at home we have to pretty much make WiFi calls. I’m really starting to regret switching over, do we need T-Mobile phones to be able to actually use the service or what? Really thinking of switching back if we aren’t ever going to have service .so do we need T-Mobile phones ? Or is there another option for coverage ?

All replies

• magenta5147456

I switched from Verizon 1.5 months ago and have a Tmobile iphone.  Personally Tmobile has been very unreliable for me so I don't think your getting a new phone will do much. Coverage on their map does not translate to coverage in reality.  Their supposed "superfast" data is not that fast.  Even on their plus plan, it's slower than what I had with Verizon. Honestly I'm really considering going back to Verizon because of the service being so unreliable and spotty. I guess it really is like what they say... you get what you pay for.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta5138438

Re: Coverage problems after switching

Yeah we ended up switching back to verizon

• richardparks

I just moved a business account from Verizon to T mobile after 15 years on Verizon. The coverage map on the show showed excellent coverage for our area and the pricing was better and considering our most current customer service issue, it seemed all good. Then wleft the store and the bars of coverage dropped to nothing from the store to my home. So the store forgot to program the AFN on the Android phone I have. Back to you he store but still no coverage. So now I have cellspot and good coverage inside my home but still no bars in this "excellent" coverage area. After buying sim sim s and porting 5 devices so far all I know is once we leave cell spot range we have nothing. So no GPS to locate our local customer houses, no way for my delivery people to call for help. Just a huge disappointment all around. Knowing what I've seen so far, I have never been happier...with my previous service. Strongly considering a stronger action as this is still only a few days into this mistake!! Any advice?

• magenta7792328

Having the exact same issues.  I believe i was misled.  I will file a complaint with the FCC.

• tmo_lauren

Depending on the situation, we have a few options!

Are you having issues in area marked for good coverage in the area? Is there anywhere you receive good coverage, or do you seem to have an issue all over? Do you have a T-Mobile device you can test your SIM in?

-Lauren

• magenta5138438

We actually don’t get coverage in our area, they told us we did and we don’t . I feel like tmobile will tell you anything to switch over  so they can make money . we will not be Buying T-Mobile phones, we will most likely we switching back to Verizon .

• samuraidaugherty

According to the map, I live in an area that is supposed to get great coverage. Today, my son's school was trying to reach me, because my son had a bloody nose at school. It never occurred to me that I would have NO SERVICE for no reason. I missed several calls. I finally turned on airplane mode, and turned it back off again, and it picked up one bar. And 15 minutes later is says no service again.

T-Mobile sent me a text message survey. "Take our 2 minute survey!" Well, it took 30 minutes, because service kept cutting out and my responses wouldn't send. According to the map, I'm supposed to have great service. I seriously regret switching to T-Mobile. The bill is a lot cheaper, but the service sucks. There's no nice way to say it, I'm just gonna have to spend a lot more money and go back to Verizon. I've NEVER had this problem with them, and I'm even using the same phone. iPhone 7. I'm pretty annoyed. What good is unlimited everything, when you never have service to use it? This is dumb. Sort your map out so you look more honest.

• magenta7792328

I have the same phone, switched from Verizon and have the same issues with T-Mobile.  Either I miss important calls or what should take a few seconds ends up taking several minutes.  Sales person the coverage excellent at my address.  When I zoom in on the map, it says that service is only fair and my not work inside.  I feel like I was scammed by T-Mobile.  We dropped our land line and when I have no service I am stranded in my own house!!!  Thanks T-Mobile.

• samuraidaugherty

@magenta7792328 that does suck. I checked the map, and typed in the addresses of all the usual places I go. Almost everywhere says "Excellent Service" or "Good Service". Always says it should work in most homes and buildings. But I've got nothing. I'm standing outside my office with "Excellent Coverage" and I have one bar. One! I'm outside! And when I tried to call my wife, she said it kept cutting out and asked me to repeat myself.

Switching to T-Mobile was my idea, so she's going to start hating me soon I think.

• landonloco

Well if you zoom in on the map and put marker on the area it it says fair coverage that means you might might not get service the service can range from anything to one to two bars and technically nos service indoors or no service at all you can see if you can get two or three bars if you see any good LTE spot or excellent LTE signal spot close that would mean that there is coverage but if you do see those spots far then that means that the fair coverage means that you may have may not coverage.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see if you still had questions on this.

• sandykli

Interesting.  We were told the same thing after they bought out our carrier.  Oh yeah no problem.  Well today there is a problem.  And now it is after the 20 days and they said they told us we would not have coverage.  They lied to sell us the plan and now they lie and say we are stuck with it.  I will be filing a complaint with the FCC on this if it is not resolved.

• tmo_chris

magenta5138438 - I am very sorry our service didn't work out for you!

magenta5147456  - What is your ZIP code there in San Diego? I was looking at Interstate 8 from SD to PHX and there is coverage along that route but there are some pretty light areas Do you know where a bouts you were losing coverage? I noticed that the last 1/3 of the drive coming from SD was pretty sparse coverage wise.

sandykli - We don't want you to feel stuck! Where specifically are you located?

• sandykli

• tmo_chris

Hey sandykli 

I just took a look at 50611 and it looks like we have roaming coverage out there under iWireless. Are you unable to get signal at all in that ZIP code?

magenta5147456 - Looking at 92130, we actually have some really great coverage there! Are you only unable to get signal within the walls of your home? What happens if you step directly outside?

• sandykli

I scanned networks and iwireless came up and now it's working ok.

• magenta5147456

I get reception in about 1/3 to half of my home and no service in the portion.

Sent from my iPhone

• tmo_chris

Thanks for clarifying magenta5147456. So this is definitely an issue with signal penetration and it sounded like you were already taking advantage of our Wi-Fi calling service which allows you to get signal inside your home via your Wi-Fi network but if you internet goes out, you will lose that coverage. We understand how important it is to have reliable signal in your home which is why we offer many types of in-home coverage solutions. If Wi-Fi calling is not working out for you due to inconsistent internet issues, we do have a signal booster device that you can place in your home that will take the signal that you do get in an area of your house and emit it to the rest of the house. In the half of your home that you do get coverage, is it at lease 1-2 bars of 3G or better signal?

• magenta5147456

No it says no service

Kim Lang

Sent from my iPhone

• tmo_chris

magenta5147456 - I know you said that you do get coverage in specific areas of your home, what kind of reception are you getting in these areas where you do?

sandykli - I am super sorry about that. When the phone is rebooted, it is going to look for T-Mobile Signal first, and then connect to a roaming provider. If you phone is not connecting to iWireless automatically, we will need to alert our engineers. Please contact us when you have a moment so our tech teams can get a ticket opened up for you.

beornborg - I just took a look at the coverage in that area and I do see that it is kind of sparse. Are you only having trouble getting signal while indoors or are you also unable to get signal while outside?

• beornborg

GSM coverage problems in Melbourne FL (32940). Really substandard

• tmo_mike_c

Hey everyone.

Just popping in to see if folks have taken a look at Chris's last post. Please give us a reply back and let us know if you still need help. Thanks.

• magenta7792328

I have same issue. I believe I was misled by sales person. Phone service and customer service is terrible.

• summitx02

I have the exact same problem and am having trouble getting any resolution from T-Mobile.   About to switch back to Verizon

• tmo_chris

Hey magenta7792328 and summitx02

Sorry to hear you are having coverage issues Can you folks provide me with your zip codes and nearest major cross streets? Also, are either of you able to get better coverage in different areas around your home area?

• summitx02

@tmo_chris

I'm in 59718 - Bozeman Montana.   Service is great most of the time but I've found dead spots all over town.   I seem to find new ones every day.  Sadly, one of those spots is my office where I work!  I didn't notice at first because wifi kicks in and I can make and receive calls.   But, if I'm on a call when I drive up or when I leave, it drops and I can't get back on for a minute or so.

• tmo_chris

summitx02 - I just took a look at that ZIP code and we have some pretty good coverage there! When you pull up our Coverage Map what does it say you should be getting for your exact address?

magenta7792328 - Looking at 27712, it is a bit less covered than Durham but we do have coverage there. And in Durham, we have some pretty amazing coverage.

I totally understand the importance of having reliable coverage and if you are finding that you do not have coverage in an area that our map says you should, please do call our Team of Experts folks when you have a chance so we can take a closer look at towers that are supposed to be serving your specific area.

samuraidaugherty - Your issue sounds a bit different. Did you bring your own phone when you switched to us? If so, what kind of phone is it and what specific model? Also, what is your specific zip code where you notice the coverage is weakest?

• samuraidaugherty

Yes, I brought my own phone from Verizon. It's an iPhone 7, running the latest software update. The zip code at my house is 61603 and where I work is 61616, and it's happening both places. My wife is having the same issue on her LG G7 as well.

• summitx02

@tmo_chris  I have checked the map and it calls for good coverage in all of the areas where I have dead spots.  I have no choice but to leave at this point, but I need someone to confirm that there is no penalty for leaving after receiving my #getoutofthered reimbursement.  Customer service says there isn't but I need something in writing.  Also, I'm stuck with a T-mobile phone that I now have to pay off before they will unlock it.    Very dissapointed 

• tmo_chris

summitx02 - There are no cancellation penalties if you leave us. As for the phone you purchased through us, if it as done in an EIP and not a JUMP on demand lease, it would need to be fully paid off before we can unlock it. If the device was purchased on a JOD lease, you may be able to qualify for the lifetime coverage guarantee.

samuraidaugherty - Both of those zip codes have pretty good coverage. On your phone, can you please try resetting your network settings.  Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If you are still having issues with coverage in good coverage areas, please do call us when you have a moment so our Team of Experts folks can get some engineering service requests open for these areas.

• magenta7792328

Thank you for your reply. I have called your Team of Experts six times. Cell service is still consistently poor.  I am a very unhappy customer.  Once I was transferred to tech support, and I held for 30 minutes without  being connected.  I gave up on minute 31. Last night I had to make a very urgent and important phone call; person on the other end said my voice was “garbled” and they only got every-other word. I had to borrow a phone that had “real” service. This was in downtown Durham, NC. How does T-Mobile get away with selling phone service that does not exist?

***-***-****

• magenta7792328

27712, but it happens throughout Durham, NC

• magenta7792328

Service is bad no matter where I go in my house. Always one bar or no service

• summitx02

@tmo_chris I am frustrated, but I'm going to stick around for a while and hope it gets better.   I looked at switching back and Verizon is just too expensive.  My bill dropped $100 when I switched.  I'll try to take advantage of wifi and make the best of it.   Go back 15 years and this is great service!   Appreciate all the help.

• binbt

Our whole office switched over hoping to save money! It has been frustrating, to say the least. And not worth the little we save. We have a tower right in our small town and the coverage is still terrible. It drops calls daily. I have called in and stopped at TMobile stores and they change settings, but nothing helps. We have to use Facebook Messenger Calling or FaceTime to make calls if we are hoping to not experience dropped calls.

• magenta7317441

I was informed today that T-Mobile could no longer provide me coverage, because I had been "roaming" for the majority of the last 60 days. Funny, because I've been living in the exact same location for the last 11 months. All of this time my provider has read "Cell One of NE Colorado" and not T-Mobile, but they're no longer willing to provide me service. This, after iWireless informed me that I HAD to join T-Mobile because my phone wasn't yet paid for and the account was going to be transferred to them for collections. But I'd get a nifty discount if I did so...Anyone experience something similar?

• jenkweb

I switched from Verizon a little over two years ago. Tmobile has always been painfully slow and will never get any better, to those who are waiting for the "network upgrade" they promise when calling support. Just keep reporting the issues, they will eventually just ignore your support requests (like they have done to me) but still important to hold them to their promises of LTE speeds that they can't back up. They admitted their network is terrible during the Sprint merger.