Solved

WiFi calling using Moto G6

Does unlocked Moto G6 (US version) support WiFi calling on T-Mobile?

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 8 June 2018, 17:37

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 4

I am very sorry but it does not 😥

Wi-Fi Calling

I just purchased the Motorola G6 from Best buy. I can confirm with 100% certainty, WiFi calling on T-Mobile does infact work. I'm actually on it right now. Not sure why Chris gave the false information. I was hesitant to purchase it but I said what the hell I'll return it if it doesn't work. I called Motorola before I purchased it and they confirmed that it did work so I bought it came home. Again, I can verifythat it does work. Hope this post helps everyone with the same question.

Thank you for the info!  I was originally going to buy the Moto G6 couple weeks ago but did not after what Chris said. Thought I'd check again and I just saw your post. I will be buying the G6 after all 😊

Does wifi calling work for you? I purchased a Moto G6 and any time I enable the wifi calling option I get a warning "Unable to make calls over Wi-Fi" which then changes to a notification that says "Calls will be made over Wi-Fi Tap here to access preferences" which never goes away so not sure if the feature works or not.

Yes, Wifi calling does work! The warning you see, "Unable to make calls over Wi-FI" may be due to a weak Wi-Fi signal. Stand close to the Wi-Fi router wait a bit and you'll see the message switch to "Calls will be made over Wi-FI" which means your Wi-Fi calling is in fact working.  Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

How do you turn on WiFi calling with the Moto G6 (I can't find it).  Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Settings>Network & Internet>Advanced Calling>Wifi Calling, tap switch to turn off/on

Userlevel 1
Badge

I didn't read close enough, I have the Moto G4 (has Nougat Android 7.0), maybe it's because your G6 has Orea?  I don't have the menu sequence, mine is settings>wireless & networks, then nothing like advanced calling.  Oh well, something I'll look forward to on my next Moto.  Thanks for your reply.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

No prob, and as an aside- Chris stated that it won't work because unlocked devices won't always work on T-Mobile.  They can't guarantee any claims from the manufacturer because T-Mobile hasn't tested the devices. I've read other posts from folks with the Moto G6 who had to root their phone in order to get it to work properly, and that's not recommended. At the minimum, it voids any warranty you may have, at the worst it could brick the phone.

Chris never mentions anything about unlocked devices not working on T-mobile. He said the Motorola G6 does not support wifi calling on T-mobile. He's answer is not true. It's not okay to provide information without 100% certainty. I have attached a screenshot of my G6 that proves it works with t-mobile's wifi calling feature. Hope this helps others that were turned away from this phone due to Chris' false information.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I just got my wife a new Moto X4 and it came with Android 7.1.1 and wifi calling is available for her to turn on.  My older Moto G4 only has Android 7.0 and it doesn't have wifi calling as an option. 

Is anyone else having issues with the reliability of WiFi calling?

I can have my phone sitting on my desk and several times a day I will switch between being able to make calls over WiFi and not being able to, and it's not just at my desk it happens all over the place.  It will be fine for several hours then not fine then fine again.

Wifi calling does work on my G6. However, if it is set to "wifi preferred" I can't get text messages out the door. If I set it to "mobile preferred" text messages work fine. Anyone else have that problem?

After much doodling around on my phone, I figured

it out.  It is so easy I want to cry...

You don't go to "settings" to enable wifi calling.

You go to your phone app (press the phone icon

like you are trying to make a call). Then click the

three dots at the right-hand corner of your screen.

Go into settings there. Go into "calls" and you

should find what you need!

Chris answered the question that was asked. If you bought your Moto G6 phone from T-mobile, of course the w/o-do calling works. The question, very clearly was about an unlocked (therefore from another carrier) phone. And thank you Chris, because this was my issue with a phone I bought from Gazelle. Although it works fine on the t-mobile network, it does not have the T-mobile software config for Wi-Fi calls, because it originally was from a service who uses t-mobile as a diff company.