Where can I find acceptable use of using you @tmomail.net feature?

ohyouknow

Hello, we are looking in to using SMS for our business, sending sms notifications to our customers via their @tmomail.net address, as well as for the other carriers too.

We will be sending large volume notifications to customerphonenumber@tmomail.com. @vtext.com, etc

We will be gaining written consent for any receiver of of these texts, they are not marketing based.

I want to understand if tmobile would have any problems if we sent for example, 10,000 of your customers a text message via theirnumber@tmomail.net

When I say your customers, I also mean they are our customers who are also on your network, then we'll have another 10k on verizon, and others....

I cannot find any type of acceptable use whatsoever.

I understand fully, that spam would be blocked, etc, I'm not concerned about setting this up with dkim and spf records and all that, this is fine I know this needs to be done... I want to know if how we intend to use your @tmomail.net facility, for this high volume business text messages, if its allowed, is there anything we should know?

Thank you

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Good question. T-Mobile does allow messages to be sent using the number@tmomail.net. I know you mentioned this already, but I'm more concerned with it possibly being recognized as spam if they're sent in a large quantity.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, ohyouknow! I reached out to a contact who works with this messaging functionality, and based on that discussion I believe what you're looking for would just be covered under our Terms & Conditions. I think these three items in particular would be worth reviewing:

Unless explicitly permitted by your Rate Plan or Data Plan, you are not permitted to use your Device or the Service in a way that we determine:

• Uses applications which automatically consume unreasonable amounts of available network capacity;
          • Uses applications which are designed for unattended use, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections, or applications that are used in a way that degrades network capacity or functionality;
          • Misuses the Service, including "spamming" or sending abusive, unsolicited, or other mass automated communications;

Sending excessive traffic over email would likely experience rate control throttling. Bulk recipient traffic should be sent over shortcode services and not through front end email gateways. srickar mentioned that this document might help shed some light! https://api.ctia.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/170119-ctia-messaging-principles-and-best-practices.pd…

• ohyouknow

Thank you Marissa!

The thing with your reply is that is seems to be pertaining to a Tmobile Customer and their plan with Tmobile.

I'm asking as an non-customer, someone who wants to send the bulk communications, (Not FROM my tmobile line... and not to a specific Tmobile Customer)

But send to a lot of Tmobile Customers (and the other carriers too)

How would you treat for example, support@mycompany.com sending thousands of ###@tmomail.net customers?

From support@mycompany.com to 9255551234@tmobile.com, and thousands more...

Again this would not be our attempt to spam, we would follow Legal guidelines set by TCPA, but I want to know if you would expect this kind of thing otherwise.

Also we're looking in to shortcodes too, we know that this rout is the designated rout, but until we get there we're considering the email to sms method, but we don't want to violet any policies or be seen as spam.. This will reach many tens of thousands and more.. split among different carriers, since our customers have different carriers.

Thank you!