Samsung S9+ Update

cameronnoland

The newest and most expensive Android flagship on T-Mobile is currently without an update since the first one that was released on launch day. Sprint and Canada providers have started rolling out OTA May updates, while the April update was pulled and we've gotten nothing. Support has said there's currently no timeline for updates, and nobody at T-Mobile seems to know what's going on or cares. For the newest flagship device this is appalling from the company that brands itself as the superior choice than other providers. What is going on with the updates?

All replies

• cameronnoland

Re: Samsung S9+ Update

And as of a few minutes ago, Verizon just posted their S9 update...

• landeus

I just spoke to T mobile support and after the rep was unable to give me any input regarding my simple question asking "It's June now and I'm wondering why are the two latest Samsung flagship phones, the S9 and S9+ still on the February security patch?'', unable to say anything useful at all, she allegedly handed me over to a Samsung rep/expert or whatever. He didn't have any answer either. In fact he placed the blame on Google! Hilarious if he really is a Samsung rep! I reminded him that even the unlocked US variant is still on the Feb patch and if you tap on the patch date in settings you'll see the security website for Samsung and which patches are available, and how often we are supposed to receive them... we've been seeing the international variants, the NON-Snapdragon chipset, the Exxynos(sp?) variants getting updates, the S8 now has the May patch, and how even T-mobile's own website states that the most recent update for the S9 and S9+ (April 13) was pulled on the 14th clearly due to some kind of issue. He put me on hold and eventually came back... long story short, I may as well have been talking to a stone wall. Nothing but apologies and silence. A total waste of time. What's kinda funny about the whole thing is how he never assured me that there was any kind of pending update or that anything would be done to secure our phones anytime soon. Eventually MANY MANY people will be aware of this serious problem and T-mobile really needs to speak up about this if it's on their end or give us a reason as to why Samsung is so far behind. As customers we deserve some transparency and respect. Regardless, T-mobile and Samsung BOTH are VERY fortunate and VERY aware that the majority of their customers are ignorant about what security patch they have on their phone, even if it's a flagship they paid hundreds of $$$ for, however not to say that they don't care. The more you talk, the more people know, and I'm talking a lot. People get angry when I show them how to find out which month they're stuck on. It's a shame.

• bluefire25

Agree

This is not acceptable anymore from T-Mobile.

We need a clear answer

• stevetjr

bluefire25 you do realize T-Mobile has nothing to do with the updates other than test/approve them?  As mentioned above even the US unlocked version doesn't have the update yet and all all US models are the same now, they just have different carrier loads based on the carriers requirements.  I have the April update with Mar 1 security update and I have issues, unsure if they are related to the update but would rather have Samsung get it right and if indeed Verizon is getting it, good let them be the guinea pig for a week or so to make sure it works correctly this time.

Heck T-Mobile with their software update page gives more information about updates than any of the other carriers. 

• cameronnoland

Only T-Mobile pulled their April update. Only T-Mobile had issues with the rollout while no other devices had a problem. If you go to the overview of Android software updates, the S9 isn't even on the list. Heck, the S8 has gotten more updates in the past few months than the S9.  The issue is the lack of communication through support, and the seeming abandoning of users who purchased a very expensive flagship device. Last night, I used Odin to patch my phone to a June security update. Yet T-Mobile is still on March and hasn't said a single word since they pulled the update.

• stevetjr

Nice article from today about this and note that Sprint and VZW both

require different software because they use CDMA.  As noted they are just

getting it and it wasn't even attempted when TMO tried to push it.  I

guarantee you TMO is probably limited by agreement with Samsung  as to what

they can even say and surely can't say what the issue is even if they know.

Samsung owns the software, any announcement would have to come from them.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/06/06/samsung-is-failing-to-update-the-galaxy-s9-and-s9-in-the-us/

• cameronnoland

If that were the case, why are all the Galaxy S8s getting recent updates regardless of carrier vs the Galaxy S9?

• stevetjr

Different processor, different radio, different camera to name a few. The

S9 supports Band 71 and 66.  Which may also explain why it appears the

update is available on the Exynos processor version.

One of the issues I have had since the update is radio issues, is that the

update don't know for sure since I moved from a market that had band 2, 4,

12 & 66 live with a ton of bandwidth to a market that even though TMO owns

700 spectrum they still can't use it.

• landeus

Like I was saying, there’s got to be some serious problem/issue and for some odd reason Samsung, Tmobile, The Cylons, Captain Kirk, whoever is responsible for getting these S9 and S9+ phones on a security date beyond February either can’t do it because the issue is really serious or they just don’t care. I‘m much more inclined to believe the former vs the latter simply because it makes the most sense. My best guess based on everything I’ve come across while trying to investigate this appears to revolve around the snapdragon chipset and GSM networks. The US unlocked variant supports CDMA, GSM, and if TDMA is still used by sprint, it should support that as well.  LTE is supported by all of the US variants. What is scary and makes me think that the issue goes beyond being a frustrating mess that the developer team is struggling with and in actuality is something that could mean a huge Samsung cover-up fiasco that will be all over the news in a few months is the simple fact that we aren’t talking about a major update or even a simpler point update (eg: 8.1) ... but a tiny little security patch. Something is seriously wrong. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong. I’m thinking worst case scenario here but it’s june now and this makes no sense at all. None. I’ve called Samsung directly through at least 2 different channels and they really play dumb and dodge the issue. The last lady I spoke to told me that there WAS an update (Samsung) and that it will be pushed out as soon as possible but that it may take time otherwise it could crash the servers. Seriously! Anything to get me off the phone. That was over 2 weeks ago.

• rbryinc

I have read similar "excuses" and I just do not buy it.  Regardless of who's fault it is or what the reason is the only thing that is 100% is that it is not my fault.  I paid close to $1000 for a phone that if they sold it and do not know how to update it then they need to refund my money.   Other phone companies are slowly making product that can compete for a lot less money.  Samsung really needs to really in gear or just make washer driers.  Like I said, no matter what the reason is the only thing that is 100% is the fault is not mine.  Either figure out how to update the phone or refund my money and I will buy a phone from a company that actually knows what they are selling

• magenta5141632

super frustrating. Updates.... to an OS... why is this an issue still? Project treble should have made this easy enough. Going to pixel 3 even if that means ditching Tmobile.  Yes I know pixel devices can be used on the Tmobile network. But I cant jump my device to one.

• tmo_chris

Hey folks! Sorry for the delay. I do not have any specific dates but I do have a request out to our device teams for additional information. I will be locking this thread and updating the original thread as soon as I get any information. Galaxy S9 Security Updates