Cellspot band

phil737

I have a new Samsung S9. I have very poor coverage in my home so I set up a Cellspot and it works very well - mostly. My phone now has excellent reception at home when it connects to "Band 4". I assume that is the band the Cellspot transmits. The problem is my S9 will sometimes lock on to Band 12 or Band 2 and these have horrible signal strength. The phone then switches to wifi calling mode (and, yes, I have "Cellular preferred" enabled). Why would my phone select a poor signal band instead of Band 4 which has an amazing signal? It seems to happen randomly. If I reboot my phone it will sometimes re-find Band 4 and be good to go, but not always.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Cellspot band

Hmm. That's strange, but let's see how we can help with that. Do you often turn off your phone? Is this only happening when you're connecting to your cellspot? Also, do you have other device that connect to the cellspot and have the same thing happen?

• phil737

First of all, T-Mobile coverage in my town (Lake Havasu City, AZ) is

terrible almost everywhere (the two reasons I switched from Project Fi were

the "One Unlimited 55+" plan and the promise of getting band 71 here

someday). So I can't confirm what are "good" and "bad" bands or if the

phone is selecting the optimum for whatever area I'm in. Like I stated

before, I know my phone does have superb signal strength when it locks onto

band 4 at my home. I only restart my phone once in a while when I notice it

seems to be locking on to a poor band. My wife has the new Samsung S9+. She

notices times at home when her signal is very poor also, but I don't have

an app on hers to tell me what band she's using - like I do on mine.

• tmo_mike_c

That's really unfortunate about the signal, but I appreciate you being so descriptive with what's going on. When you look at the lights on the cellspot, are they flickering or showing any different colors? Do you know about how long this has been going on?  I'm also curious if you've tried completely shutting off the Cellspot router for a bit, then restarting it to see if the other connection are more solid.

• phil737

This has been an issue ever since I installed the Cellspot. My previous

phone was a rooted Nexus 6 and I used an app to force it to lock onto Band

4 at home, which worked great. My new S9 can't be rooted so I have no

control over its band selection.

I just checked and my Cellspot was showing all steady green lights, but my

phone had terrible signal (-110 to -120dBm) and was using Band 12. I

unplugged the Cellspot for a bit then let it reboot. It took about 2

minutes to show all green lights again. About 15 minutes later my S9

finally switched to Band 4 and good signal strength (-80dBm).

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm okay. Since the reboot, has it stayed connected to Band 4 or do you still see your phone switching to Band 12 occasionally? I'm thinking this might be something you'll want to do further troubleshooting with our Tech Care folks so this can be escalated. I just haven't seen this issue being reported by other folks using the Cellspot. So, it's unique.

• tmo_chris

Any luck with our tech care folks?

• phil737

sorry, I've been really busy and haven't had time to work on this. I did

download an app to my wife's S9+ and hers does the same thing. I thought

maybe mine acts weird because it's an unlocked phone I bought directly from

Samsung, but we bought hers from T-Mobile and it acts the same regarding

the Cellspot signal. when I have time I'll contact tech support.

• tmo_chris

Thanks for getting back with us and for the further clarification. Just wanted to check in here to see if you ended up reaching out to our over the phone tech support folks yet?

• tmo_amanda

Happy Friday, phil737!

It sounds like you have been pretty busy but I just wanted to swing by one last time to see if you've had the chance to chat with Tech Support. If so, were they able to get this escalated on your behalf?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going.