Service in San Francisco sucks badly

magenta5069708

How bad?  Well if I get a call I have to walk outside...and that gives me a 50/50 chance of keeping the call ... If I stay on that block it will probably still drop ... Best is to walk 2 or more blocks down the street. I've called customer service . They don't do anything .   I've been hoping they will upgrade the towers ... But they don't even touch towers anywhere in California... If you look at any of their upgrades and new tech it has not been anywhere near California for years .   Should I pronounce T-Mobile dead in California?

Test it.  Go for a walk on Baker @ mcaliMcAll in SF

All replies

• magenta5042099

I live in South Bay area and it is abysmal here as well. In city centers, it works well but if you go to residential area then it is constantly 1 bar or 2 bars and they are unusable. Also, there's a spot still where there's no LTE at all with 0-1bar of 3G in the middle of the road (not rural). I just don't think they invest enough in Bay Area.

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Service in San Francisco sucks badly

Oh boy. Sorry to hear you're running into coverage hiccups. Just looking at a large overview of the San Fran area, I"m seeing a lot of LTE coverage and a few new sites popping up soon. Have you checked our coverage map for the specific address you're having trouble at? What device are you using. If it is just a specific area, our Tech Care folks can file a Service Complaint to bring this to the attention of our Engineering team.

• magenta5069708

Well, I can take a map and color it in all pink too.... but that has nothing to do with reality.  reality is that there is very spotty and horrible service all over in California major cities.  Walking around in Downtown SF you are lucky to get 3G or 4G... LTE is super spotty.. The worse part is that over the past 3-5 years it has gotten WORSE...    I'm not even sure how that is possible... but if you look at any Tmobile announcements of improved/added service over the past year... there is not a peep about anything done in California.

And yes, we have the latest phones, yes we have talked to service and tech departments many times.  and yes I'm talking outside on the street..not in some concrete building.

I love tmobile but... they really seem to have abandoned California.

• tmo_chris

With the amount of coverage we have in that area, the issues you are having sound more like congestion type of issue. Out of curiosity, what did our tech care folks say when you called them?

• magenta5069708

It is usually the same response.

a) lets try and reboot your phone.

b) look at settings on network APN and such

c) they send some signal down.... switch towers or something

d) no that didn't work...

e) suggest getting a router/signal booster..... did the signal booster, not enough bars to boost reliably... router... I don't have inet...I was using tmbile mobile data for my inet. so defeats the point. 

f) let me create a ticket and have a technician look at it..

g) crickets and no responses ever. and nothing gets fixed.. one guy did give me a hint saying they won't fix anything unless they get a lot of tickets/calls about the area.

yes it probably is a combination of bad signal and congestion... because some days are worse than others...

and Tmobile does nothing...

and they want to buy sprint and add more users and worse service.

• tmo_chris

Thanks for clarifying magenta5069708.

Do you happen to have the ticket number for the last request that was set up for you?

magenta5042099 -

If this is happening in a specific area, we really want to dig in deeper to see what specifically is going on. Have you already had a chance to speak with our tech support folks over the phone? If so, do you happen to know if a support ticket was opened up for this issue?

• magenta5069708

Yes .I used to speak to them once per month .  They have opened tickets but ner respond afterwards. So I doubt they are really opening any tickets it is probably jujust words

Ttoday the service is especially bad .4 dropped calls and running around to try and answer. I don't feel like running down the street 2 blocks to answer a phone call today . And the gf has the same problem.

T-Mobile I think is just on its way out.  Even logging in to this site is difficult (see message below you get 75% of the time u try to login here) .T-Mobile is not servicing it's customers

Service Unavailable.

F451 : Uh-oh, it looks like we have our wires crossed. Please try again later

• magenta5069708

No.  I dont... I can walk down the street and spend another half hour on the phone again... but I really don't want to...  I liked it better when they used to lie to me and say they were installing new towers and "spending millions on new and expanded service in your area". that sounds so much better than when they lie and say "we are going to have  technician check it out and check out the towers in your area".

• tmo_chris

magenta5069708 - I am so sorry that you have had to spend so much time on this issue. With this being a network issue, a service ticket is going to be the best route to a resolution. I know that due to the issues you are having, calling our support teams may not be the best option. If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can send our T-Force team a direct message and they will be able to access your account to see your existing tickets and file an escalation if needed. 

• magenta5042099

Congestion? Yes. Not enough towers? Yes. Building more towers? Idk.. I see that specifically Bay Area isn't a part of 600mhz rollout yet.

On my way to school every morning, I lose all signal in the middle of the road, and here is South Bay Area, not some rural part in Nebreska.

When I use my LTE discovery app, I see that there are a lot of towers including CDMA when I run it on Sprint phone. But all I get on my T-mobile phone is 1 or 2 LTE towers nearby and that is it. I don't know what it is like anywhere else in the states or California in general but in bay area, yes T-mobile is really not great choice. Constant congestion and they don't even bother to densify their network here.

Tower way too congested, even VoLTE calls can't go through or I can't hear him/her and he/she can't hear me neither when it's peak hour from 4pm - 8pm. Then there's no fallback network available as it is only 700mhz that can penetrate. What they really need to do is densifying their network, instead of those 'Oh, we built new tower in Wyoming! we are gonna beat AT&T! (using satellite as backhaul lmao)'

It is true that every carriers have their own blackspots but losing the signal in the middle of the road was really something new. Of course, my phone bar says there is signal, one bar, but it is everybody knows it is unusable when it is hitting -125 ~ -130dbm

• neez

Hopefull the Sprint and T-Mobile merger go through.  I'm sure at some point they'll unify their towers from both networks.  That should help, but it'll be a long time before it's done because they can't just flip a switch and add customer sims together.  They'll need to converter hardware since one is CDMA and the other GSM with LTE.

• miket

I've been using TM since the first day they started operation in California more than 10 years ago.   Service has improved steadily every year.  About 80% of my use is in the East Bay.   Haven't had a dropped call in years.    I am not in San Francisco often, but haven't had trouble connecting-at least the places I have been.

Of course there are areas where you have connected all-like some places in the Oakland hills and in Marin County.

• tmo_chris

Just wanted to check in here to see if you still needed help with this. Please let us know.