LG V30 Oreo

davidfrnks7

Hi!t

I saw that T-Mobile recently continued the rollout of android oreo 8.0 to the LG V30 LG-H932y

I updated my V30 on the original rollout date with LG Bridge and my phone has had some pretty nasty bugs ever since. I saw that the update was halted due to bugs that were a result of this update.

My questions is how do i update to the "newer" update if they both have the same build number/software version? Is the "newer" update the same from earlier this month and there weren't any bug fixes? Please help me out because i am confused.

All replies

• zerokool2k

Re: LG V30 Oreo

I have the exact same question... In fact I find it very odd that T-mobile didn't even mention this knowing that some people had already updated their phone via LG Bridge???

it's as if we don't matter ❕❕❕

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there davidfrnks7  and zerokool2k .

Have either of you received the new update? If not, can you check the software version and see if it recognizes the new version or if it gives you any errors? We really wanna make sure you get the update so please let us know what happens. Thanks!

• davidfrnks7

Trying to use LG Bridge PC application it tells me that the software is up to date and checking the update on my phone yeilds the same response "your system is up to date".

• attrocks

The "new" update is the same version and build as the initial one.  The McAfee was the only change.  It does not therefore register as a new version and does not update if you are already on Oreo. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tmo_mike_c

Okay, so there's a limit to how many updates are pushed out to prevent congestion on the network. I don't have a number of how many are pushed out daily, but that's most likely why you haven't received it. If you look at the Status section of our Software updates: LG V30/V30+ page, it gives a brief update on how the software is gonna roll out to folks. Basically, you'll wanna check it daily and update when you get the option. After July 3, there will no longer be a daily limit for the software push, and it'll be available for folks that haven't received it.

• magenta4965814

I don't think you guys that are answering really get it. I have the same issue. I was one of the unfortunate few that managed to download the Oreo update around may 12th or so. The update that was buggy af and I can't use Bluetooth, have signal drops, and other glitches. This update was cancelled. Unfortunately we could not roll back to Nougat. So I've been sic stuck with this glitchy phone for almost a month now. This glitchy Oreo that came out a month ago has the same build number as the new, fixed one. How will us folks that were unfortunate enough to update last month to Oreo get the newest update when it will probably see that we don't need the update because it's the same exact build number? You would think that T-Mo would have made the update available first to the people that have been dealing with the glitchy original Oreo update. But now it looks like we maynever get updated as the update service probably won't recognize that we need an update since the build number on the fixed Oreo is the same as the build number on the screwed up Oreo update.  

• attrocks

The "new" update was the same as the original one .  They did change the McAfee version whch was causing issues.  If you got the early version, it is the same as the latest version . I did a full reset and it cleared up my issues including Bluetooth . Have you tried wiping and restarting?

• magenta4965814

Yes. I completely factory reset the phone and installed 1 app at a time, no backups restored or anything. Set up as a new device. Bluetooth is still unusable because of audio skips. Very often, I lose data even when it shows a signal and 4G. I have to put in airplane mode and off to get data to work again. It's glitchy as all hell. First I had wiped, factory reset, restored backup and still had problems. So then I completely factory reset without restoring backups. The problems still return. So I can't imagine the new update is the same thing. The first one is a giant mess.

• dcountsvme

2018/06/08  DON'T UPGRADE IS MY ADVICE.  My V30 was flawless prior to update.  Google must use T-mobile as a pre-beta site.  Oreo V8.0.0 is not in anyway ready.  Calls out or in about 40% of the calls can't hear my voice - this is true on speaker and Bluetooth.  The SMS text app will no longer display new texts or texts not responded to, although the notification sound does work.  Missed call counter will no longer display on the app on your landing page / desktop.

Don't waste time with tech support, after a long wait you will get the ol' brush off "have you rebooted your phone?"  "ok, now do a factory reset"...

Nothing.

Wait for 8.1.  I screwed up and broke my own rule of never upgrading to a X.0 version. 

TMobile - you should test on your own phones before you send this crap out.

• marcaronson408

LG V30 owner still on "N" -- haven't tried the "O" upgrade yet.

Based on this thread, it looks like it's a disaster. Is anyone having success with the LG V30 "O" upgrade?

Thanks!

Marc

• davidbrosi

The update destroyed my phone. I used to love it and now it freezes at least 3-4 times per day for about 5-30 seconds each time and drops LITERALLY, every single call over 10-15 minutes and sometimes less. This is my work phone and it is completely unacceptable. Who tested this junk software/OS before releasing it?? If a "phone" can't even make a stable call what good is it?

• hitherdread

It was supposed to be the same version as the first. Supposedly Mcafee was the only issue. But it still made my great phone slowly horrible. I did all the steps to get it to work. Had to sadly get a refurbished unit from Tmobile. The refurbished one updated and has worked as good as my original. So there is definitely something up with the first version besides the McAfee issue...

• magenta3638975

Agree with others on a host of issues: tons of lag, Google voice commands are almost unusable with incredibly high failure rate, garbled graphics when using Google Now via long-hold of home button, and more.  Phone was great before the 8.0.0 update.  I checked today and confirmed I have the most recent version. i.e. H93220j and not the prior released H93220h version.  Also confirmed that LG does not offer a more recent downloadable update than H93220j.  I did notice that T-Mobile makes the following suggestions after the update if you are experiencing issues:

From this page: Software updates: LG V30/V30+

Issues after updating

If you experience issues after updating to the latest software version, follow these steps:

1. Wipe your cache partition to make sure that all system files on your device are put back in order.
                                2. If wiping the cache partition does not work, you may need to perform a master reset.
                                  • marcaronson408

I urge you to do the master reset -- time spent trying to avoid it is not time well invested. This is consistent with past experiences I have had with other major Android upgrades.

I upgraded my LG V30 to oreo. Did a master reset and then restored from a google backup. Everything is fine.

I documented the exact steps I used to upgrade here, including some observations about resolving battery problems

Restoring from the Google backup seemed to work fine. I suspect that some backup tools will unintentionally backup the "stuff" that can cause an upgrade to have so many problems, so be aware of this if you are using another backup utility...

Marc