Poor building penetration - GS9+

magenta5054972

I switched my family plan over from At&t about six months back and have had really terrible reception issues ever since. We live in a somewhat rural area (Wildwood, MO), so it was kind of to be expected, and T-mobile was quick to send me a cell spot for the house. The cell spot has certainly helped, but it's frustrating when I can't get a call or text out while at the grocery store, my son can't call out while at school, etc. Additionally, it's common for us to be on calls coming and going from the house, and 90% of the time it drops when converting to/from the cell spot. Our municipality is huge and mostly rural, but we're in a heavily populated and well developed portion of it. When we first switched we had two GS7s and a J3. I have since upgraded to a GS9+.

All of our grumbling aside, we've been dealing with it. I recently changed jobs and now work off of a major highway in Maryland Heights, MO; literally the building is right next to the highway. To boot, I'm on one of the upper floors and no more than 30 feet from the window. At any given moment I can look at my phone and always have 2-4 bars of 4G showing, however, when I attempt to use anything requiring data I almost always get failure. Most of the time I'll get a ton of notifications all at one time as the phone connects for a brief moment. If I try to check any of those notifications that need to call back to get data, failure. I have also had difficulty making/receiving phone calls and texts, despite showing service, forcing me to walk to the window or leave the building to "get out".

My frustration is getting to the point that I'm ready to go back to At&t as several new co-workers say they have great service throughout our building. I guess I'm partially here to vent (though I've heard/read that T-Mobile has terrible building penetration issues), but also to ask is there anything I can possibly do to help? I can't/don't want to rely on wifi. I've heard that 600Mhz spectrum roll-out is happening elsewhere. Is there any timeline or ETA for the St. Louis area?

All replies

• magenta5054972

Re: Poor building penetration - GS9+

Crickets... Well, I figured as much since this appears to just be garbage coverage. I just tried to launch an app from a notification I needed to see, showing two "4G" bars, failure. Walked to the window, five bars (woohoo)... and... failure. Walked back to my desk, now I'm watching my coverage literally cycle from two 4G bars to nothing to three Edge bars to nothing. I'm not kidding. This is a joke, right???? Also, something I thought about since yesterday, I have never been able to reliably sync voicemail in the app. It almost always fails, no matter where I am. Possibly something wrong with the phone itself?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta5054972! Thanks for joining our Support Community! Sorry for the delay in reply -- since the Community is a public user forum; it's not the most rapid method of communication -- but I promise the folks here do want to help!
          I took a look at the Maryland Heights area -- I wasn't sure exactly which highway to check service near; but I am guessing 270? When I check on either side of the highway where it crosses Dorsett Rd, I show U1900 network available that should offer some in-building coverage for large buildings -- but when I move up or down the highway, that does turn to coverage that we'd anticipate would take care of you in smaller buildings, cars, or outdoors.
          If your office is off of 270 near Dorsett, then I would definitely recommend that you Contact Us and work with our Tech team to get a service ticket filed, because this isn't the coverage we'd expect based on the map! If you're located elsewhere and don't mind giving me a little more to go off of -- landmark or cross street -- I'm happy to take a second look!
          One thing worth mentioning is that there isn't currently any 700MHz or 600MHz active in that area. 700MHz spectrum offers really good in-building coverage, and penetrates structures built with steel/concrete more reliably than other types of spectrum. I don't see any plans for either currently, but that doesn't mean that there won't be any ever -- our map view only shows upcoming network changes that are a month or so out; so it's possible that network improvements are planned for your area but not added to the map yet.

Overall -- I hear ya, I wouldn't want to rely solely on WiFi either! I wish I could offer you some detailed plans for improvements near your office. Sometimes, filing a ticket with Tech for the area where you're located isn't a bad idea because the engineering team will respond with future improvement timelines (for example, they may say "within 6 months") that aren't on our map yet!

• magenta5054972

Thanks for the reply Marissa. Yes, specifically the Dorsett/270 area. I really appreciate the candid feedback about the network expectations in this area. I'll open a ticket with the tech team to see if they can help figure out what's going on. I'll leave this thread open for now and provide feedback for awareness. Thanks again, have a great weekend.

• tmo_lauren

Hey there!

Just wanted to check in and see if you'd had a chance to file a ticket. We're following along with you in hopes of seeing this resolved.

-Lauren

• magenta5054972

Hello Lauren. I wanted to make sure I called while I was at my desk, and just had the time to do so this morning. I was told by the representative that there is apparently a known issue with intermittent service in my immediate area, and that a ticket has already been opened. TTID 19854527. She said an engineer is already looking into the ticket, which looked to be fairly new (she couldn't give me an open date), and that there is no ETA on resolution. In the meantime she suggested that I speak to our building manager about putting a business cell spot in for us. Not sure that's going to be an option. I definitely feel better that I'm not the only one reporting the issue, but not sure how long I'll stick this out if it's not resolved in the coming weeks. Thank you for the follow-up.

• tmo_lauren

Glad you had an opportunity to follow up on the ticket, ideally the fact it's already been opened means they are closing in on a resolution. That said, at the end of the day we understand where you are coming from and I'm sorry to see this has been a less than ideal situation. We'll cross our fingers that the ticket is addressed as soon as possible, typically our engineering team tries to get a fix as soon as available.

If anything new comes up, or if there is anything else we can assist with, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

-Lauren