T-Mobile One Plus International Video Bandwidth

chefandy

"HD speeds" is a ambiguous. Video is data just like any other data— just packets flowing in and out, regardless if it's video, an email, a picture, or music. There isn't even any absolute definition of what HD even means... it could mean any number of video resolutions.

So I want a straight answer. For T-Mobile One Plus International, is video data singled out for any throttling, deprioritization, or limits? Is throttling, deprioritization, or limiting any different than it is with my current, unlimited simple choice plan?

I will switch providers before I settling for anything less than what I receive with my unlimited simple choice plan with binge-on disabled.

All replies

• tmo_chris

So the HD just means the highest available quality from the streaming service you are using. With One Plus or One Plus International, you will have unlimited HD video streaming once you activate it in the T-Mobile app or My.T-Mobile.com. Without it activated, or without the One Plus feature, you will still have unlimited but it will be optimized for mobile viewing.

• chefandy

That was not a straight answer. Video is absolutely no different from any other data. The only control T-Mobile has over that data, or any other data, is whether or not you throttle, deprioritize, or otherwise limit it. The only way you can 'optimize it for mobile viewing' is to slow it down so the video provider automatically gives a lower quality video, if they support it. T-mobile doesn't have the ability to somehow look inside the data packets, see it's video, and then change the quality of the video. Technology-wise, we're just not there yet.

So I want a straight answer. For T-Mobile One Plus International, is video data singled out for any throttling, deprioritization, or limits? Is throttling, deprioritization, or limiting any different than it is with my current, unlimited simple choice plan?

• chefandy

If there is no throttling, deprioritization, or limits on video that are different from the throttling, deprioritization, or limits on any other data, then it's a really simple answer. If video data still has different rules than other data on T-Mobile One Plus International, then that is also an easy answer. Either way, the meat of the answer should be a "yes" or a "no" without a bunch of qualifications attached.

• tmo_chris

Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to make sure I gave you all the information. If your question is about throttling and prioritization, and all data is subject to that as you an see in our open internet policy Company Information | T-Mobile’s Broadband Internet Access Services.

If your question is about how video quality is determined between your current Simple Choice and the T-Mobile One Plan with the One Plus international feature, the answer is as I stated above. Binge On is not available on T-mobile One and all video streamed on your device is optimized for mobile viewing unless you add the One Plus/international feature and enable HD video in the app or on the site.

• chefandy

Your open internet policy says this: "Customers on our T-Mobile ONE plan, where video optimization is always enabled, may choose to activate and enable HD video streaming in the U.S. by adding a Plus or Plus International feature."

What your policy refers to as "video optimization" simply involves slowing down video traffic in an attempt to get a video provider such as YouTube to send a smaller, lower-quality video. I don't want that. I have one simple question.

1) Yes or No: Is there a circumstance in which T-Mobile One Plus and Plus International would *ever* have "video optimization" enabled?

• chefandy

Fantastic, thank you