LG V30 / Screen Mirroring?

magenta4587335

Is there no way to do a wired screen mirror on the LG V30 using only LTE data? I bought a USB-Type C-to-HDMI cable hoping I could connect my phone to my TV or one of my HDMI-enabled computer monitors using only my 4G LTE data. The cable works just fine for screen mirroring as long as I'm using my home WiFi, but when I attempt to use the phone's LTE sans WiFi, the phone keeps flashing "connecting secondary screen" and "disconnecting secondary screen" and simply doesn't work. This seems to be by design.

I have multiple reasons for wanting to use the data instead of WiFi in some situations (one is I'd like to have it when visiting my daughter who has no Internet). I've tried it on two monitors with HDMI ports and my TV, all with the same result - as long as the phone is hooked up to WiFi, it works perfectly. Without WiFi enabled and using only mobile data, it's a no-go. I'm grandfathered on the Simple Choice with 6 GB data, so I can use Binge-on to watch Netflix, etc without using my data bucket.

Was the phone designed to disable screen mirroring with mobile data by T-mobile or by LG? If by T-mobile, why? If I'm mirroring my phone's screen, then the TV or monitor is using the Binge-on optimized lower-def stream, so what does it matter if I'm watching on my phone or my monitor? Is there a way around this?

I can cast to my Roku and that works perfectly but both phone and Roku must be on WiFi (no way to turn on Hotspot and work it that way).

I've read that some people use ChromeCast to cast the phone screen using only mobile data, but i've read no stories about success with the LG V30 specifically. Has anyone used it successfully? At $36, I don't want to buy one to find out it won't work for my device.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: LG V30 / Screen Mirroring?

Just so I'm on the same page, are you only having trouble when trying to use a Binge On participants? The reason I ask is because it sounds like you're trying to view it in a higher resolution. If that's the case, you should know that streaming video services like Netflix using Binge On will only be available at 480p. If you're looking to stream in a higher resolution than that, you'd have to disable the Binge On feature. Please let me know if you need more help with this.

• magenta4587335

Thank you for your response, Mike. I’m sorry if I left the impression this question is about Binge On and resolution. It really has little to do with that. The question is: if I attach my phone to my TV or monitor with my USB to HDMI cable, ** regardless of what I’m doing - whether it’s just on the phone’s home screen showing the application icons or reading email watching Netflix or doing anything ** and I do not have WiFi enabled on the phone, neither the TV nor the monitor will mirror my phone. They will only mirror my phone if I have WiFi enabled. If I have WiFi enabled when I mirror the phone to the TV, it mirrors just fine UNTIL I turn off WiFi and have the phone on 4G LTE only. If I attach the cable and the phone is already on mobile data only (no Wifi), it simply will not mirror. So the issue is - why does the phone not mirror to my TV/monitor unless WiFi is enabled? My LG G4 mirrored just fine regardless of whether the phone was using WiFi or mobile data.

The only reason I brought up Netflix and Binge On is because I can’t figure out why the phone‘s software was programmed this way. Since Binge On optimization (which I made sure is enabled on my phone) uses the same amount of data whether you’re watching on the phone or or watching a screen mirror on the phone, why would it be necessary to program the phone to shut off mirroring when you attempt to mirror it using mobile data only? But again - phone won’t mirror whether I’m watching Netflix or just staring at my home screen.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there and thanks for clarifying. Seems like the screen share option is behaving like it requires a Wi-Fi connection. When you go into your Share & connect option, are you selecting Screen sharing or MirrorLink?

• magenta4587335

tmo_mike_c wrote: "Seem like the screen share option is behaving like it requires a Wi-Fi connection." Yes, that's the gist of my complaint. :-) I came to this forum hoping someone knows why this is so, and looking for a workaround so I can mirror my phone using mobile data only. I don't know if this issue was created by Oreo, built in by LG, or by T-mobile. It isn't an issue with my Tmobile iPad Pro and wasn't a problem with my old LG G4 - I could mirror both just fine with a wired connection, using mobile data only. But if T-mobile is programming the phone so it can't use mobile data when mirroring the phone, I just want to know why.

"When you go into your Share & connect option, are you selecting Screen sharing or MirrorLink?"  This is a *wired* connection between the phone and the TV, so you don't need to select anything. You connect the phone to the TV's HDMI port via USB/HDMI cable and your phone's screen is instantlhy mirrored to your TV. At least it works that way with WiFi enabled. With mobile data only, it might show for a split second before doing this constant connecting-disconnecting thing that prevents it from mirroring. For what it's worth, though, I tried to see if I could toggle Screen Sharing to see if that would be a fix, but Screen Sharing only wants a wireless connection. (MirrorLink is for connections to cars only and is a whole separate option, not part of the Screen Sharing Menu.)

• tmo_mike_c

I understand. This type of functionality isn't something T-Mobile would have a hand in programming so this would likely be specific to how LG decided to set this feature up. As for why it was done that why, I'm sorry, I wouldn't be able to answer that.

Sorry if I caused any confusion when I asked you to check out the Share & connection options. It's just that our content shows that does show that there's setting's you'll have to change in order to use this mirroring function. Also, I did find a little blurb in the LG V30 user guide about sharing your screen with a TV:

With Miracast being wireless, and not seeing plug-and-play as an option, I'll check some resources I have offline and see if there is a workaround for you. I'll keep you posted when I find out more info.

• tmo_mike_c

Okay, so here's what I've got. Our support information here only covers how to set up the device to mirror the screen on a car, not a TV. In order to do that, it's best to follow the steps on the LG Help Library: Screen Share / Screen Mirroring - Device to TV | LG U.S.A  page. If there aren't any others that can give suggestions on a workaround, LG support is gonna be the best route for other solutions on getting this set up. Sorry my friend. I wish I had more I can offer but I'm sure LG will be a great resource should you need them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Have you taken a peek at the link I posted? I'd just like to know if LG's Help site was useful for you. Thanks.

• magenta4587335

I was unable to view the link you provided because it redirects to LG's main Help page.

However, here's an update for any LG V30 owners who end up on this thread looking for the same info: yesterday I was able to mirror my phone to my daughter's Blu-Ray player using my phone's Screen Sharing feature since the player was MiraCast/WiFI-Direct capable. This was done using mobile data only, and since I was watching a movie on Amazon Prime Video, it did **not** count against my data bucket. Yay, this is what I wanted to do. So, I was able to mirror the phone using data only - not wired, but wirelessly, which is actually better since I can use the phone as a remote control. My plan is to find a WiFi-Direct-enabled dongle or other device to accomplish the same thing. If it worked with the Blu-Ray player without forcing me to connect to other WiFi, it should work with some of the available dongles. Thanks for your help, Tmo-Mike.