Phone not receiving calls/texts

magenta5027830

Phone: Moto X, 2nd generation (purchased February 2015)

Over the past couple of months, I have been experiencing problems receiving calls and texts.

For phone calls, my phone will sometimes not ring or receive an incoming phone call. This occurs at both my home and office (4-5 bars in each location). On the caller's end, he/she will hear 2 rings and then the phone will go to voicemail. My phone will not ring, and I will not receive a notification of a missed call.

For text messages, there will sometimes be a notable delay between when a message is sent (as registered by the time stamp on the sender's phone) and when my phone receives the message. Again, this occurs at both my home and office. (As an experiment, someone texted me while sitting next to me on my couch at home; the message took 45 minutes to appear on my phone.)

There is no predicable pattern for the missed calls/delayed messages. I have considered (and rejected): location, time of day, whether I am actively using the phone as someone is trying to contact me (or, alternatively, whether it is asleep), charge level on the phone, whether my phone is connected to WiFi (although I do not have the option of WiFi calling on this device), and the type of phone/carrier that I am being contacted from. My phone is completely up-to-date.

I suspect that this is a problem on T-Mobile's end rather than mine, but I am open to any suggestions. Needless to say, I am frustrated with this problem, and friends/family are frustrated that they cannot reach me reliably!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Phone not receiving calls/texts

I'm bummed this is giving you so much trouble but thanks for being so thorough with your testing. Have you tried the phone in safe mode to see if messages/calls work better? You should also try changing the network setting (example, use 2G only) to see if it works better on another frequency.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta5027830

Thanks for your help! I switched the phone back to 3G and that seems to have resolved the problem.

I'm a little disappointed that I've had to move off of LTE, but if it isn't working then there's really no point. Does anyone know if T-Mobile has done something to their LTE configuration lately? It looks like I'm not the only one who has developed connection problems...

• lumia635

I posted a similar thread, and have been noticing this behavior too. Why did it work for months, and then stop working? I never needed to change my Network connection before. I never needed to change to 3G, 2G, etc. 8 weeks ago, why now?

• tmo_chris

Hey there! Are you still having problems receiving calls and texts?

• magenta5027830

I've changed back to 3G, per the previous suggestion, and that seems to have resolved the issue. I wanted to test it for a couple of days before I responded, though; I like to be thorough!

• tmo_chris

Thanks for clarifying! Since this is only a delay and not a complete failure, I don't think this has anything to do with any network upgrades causing your phone to stop working. With it being a delay, the way we will need to investigate this is going to be with a support ticket that our engineers will dig into. If you have a moment, please contact us so our tech teams can get the ball rolling on this.

• duke0011

I have a nexus 5 and have seen the exact same problem recently for calls.  I haven't realized a delay in text messages but it's possible that there may be one that I have not yet detected.  I just switched my phone to 3G to see if that solves it as suggested.

• magenta5107645

Hi - I have had the same issues for the past 3 months, and have spent hours on the phone with TMO and Sony support.  The symptoms are the same.  I am in Central Austin.  My devices are BYOD devices.  My daily driver is a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra which worked fine for three months.  I have also tried falling back to a Nextbit Robin.

TMO support wanted to make this an issue of VOLTE and HD Voice support being lacking on the Sony device.  The Nextbit, however, does have VoLTE support, and I experienced the same issue when I moved over my SIM card to it.

The Sony has been reset to factory settings several times.  Default APN settings have been downloaded each time.  I have received a new SIM card which I am using.

I was just about to buy new TMO branded devices this weekend, but am holding off on the added expense at this point.

I am starting to run LTE Discovery app and I am noticing that I spend most of my time on Bands 2 and 4 and only occasionally see Band 12.  In my home I stay at LTE icon most of the time.  I see LTE+ by default in other parts of my neighborhood.  TMO support had pretty much given up on this issue as all towers are reporting well from your end.

The Sony did receive an upgrade to Oreo at about the same time as when this problem started.  The Nextbit, however, is still running Nougat, and it has the same issues now, whereas it worked fine in the past.

I'd really appreciate an opportunity to get to the bottom of this issue.

Best, austingonzo

• magenta5107645

@magenta5027830 ,@lumia635 ,@duke0011 , I have a theory.  The more research I do, the more I'm getting a feeling that this is related to Band 12.  There have been lots of reports over the past 3 years with folks with "Chinese" phones and non-branded TMO phones having service issues.  Check out OnePlus forum entries for OnePlus Two and OnePlus Three, as well as Nextbit, etc.  All your phones probably have "Band 12 support", but they may or may not have solid VoLTE implementations.  Download the TMO BYOD app from Android Play store and let us know the results.  Tell us what geographic region you're reporting from.  Run LTE Discovery or another similar app from Play Store and note what bands your phone sits on.  Disable WiFi and run straight from cellular.  Disable roaming.  If you've monkeyed around with your APN settings trying to troubleshoot, reset them to default.

Here's my theory.  In a periodic pique of assertive network management duties, in your area someone's gotten the bug to make sure that they're bouncing devices with marginal or missing VoLTE capabilities since their understanding of their e911 compliance requirements may require them to do so.

Best, austingonzo.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • magenta5107645

billing address e911.JPG

OK, sure enough, I don't have this checked in my T-Mo profile (under billing address).  But this is a problem for me because I have family members on my plan that are in another metropolitan area.

• magenta6693132

This is a very interesting conversation with lots of good information!

I've been a T-Mobile customer since roughly 2004 and have been using an unlocked Xperia X Compact in NYC since March 2017 without any issues (phone specs here: http://www.xperiablog.net/specifications/2016-xperias/xperia-x-compact/). On October 16 -- the date, as it turns out, that my local tower began to be modernized -- I discovered that I could not receive incoming calls. The phone wasn't ringing on my end and was simply dead air on the caller's end for about 10 seconds, until it went into voicemail. (As far as I can tell, everything else -- outgoing calls and incoming and outgoing texts -- continued to work fine.)

I've spoken to six or seven representatives at this point (who have all been wonderful and very thorough) and have gone through all the basic troubleshooting steps, as well as having my network connection reset and having the engineers look into the matter. Each time, it seems like the problem has been fixed, but a few hours later, it unfortunately resurfaces. Switching my network type from "LTE(preferred)/WCDMA/GSM" to "GSM only" has been the only way to reliably receive my incoming calls.

I downloaded the T-Mobile BYOD app per @magenta5107645's suggestion (thank you!) and discovered that my phone "doesn't support Extended Range Coverage (700 Mhz) and Voice Over LTE." Per my most recent discussion with a representative today, my phone is incompatible with the modernized tower in my area and so will only be able to support calls over 2G. According to the rep, my only options are to use the phone on 2G only or to switch to a T-Mobile device.

This definitely makes sense with the timing of the tower modernization. However, I'm still not completely clear on why I'd be able to receive incoming calls intermittently, and to make calls and send and receive text messages without issue, if my phone isn't compatible with the newly modernized tower. It seems that if the phone were not compatible with the new LTE frequencies, it wouldn't function at all, rather than functioning intermittently for some tasks and well for others.

@tmo_chris (or anyone else who may know!), if you have the chance to look this over, does it seem like there could possibly be any other explanation (SIM card or some such)? Or is retiring my current device in favor of a T-Mobile locked device my only option? (I want to be sure that's going to work before I go to the trouble and expense!)

Thanks so much for reading and for any information anyone can provide!!

• lumia635

@magenta5107645

Unfortunately, Windows Phones do not use Android applications. I cannot download the application you referenced. Thank you, anyway.

• renoit

My son has an IPhone6S Plus and he isn't receiving phone calls all the time and is getting delayed texts. At first we thought it was just

me (Blocking Mom) but no it's random people too. Just started this month. He contacted Apple and they said it's the carrier and when he

contacted T-Mobile they said it's Apple. Really!! Someone needs to fix this problem.

• magenta5678466

I have been experiencing this issue for couple of months.  When my iPhone 5s goes into standby for couple of hours, it cannot receive call from anyone, the calls went to voice mail, but I am able to make calls. 

I reset this iPhone to factory default and changed SIM with no relief.  I put the SIM card into other two iPhone (5s and 6s), both started experiencing the same issue, they are able to make calls, but cannot receive calls after couple of hours in standby.  These two iPhone (5s and 6s) working fine on other operators.

It seems it's an issue with how the network is configured, when a phone is in standby mode for hours, it simply can not locate or not page the phone.

Anyone has any idea as to what went wrong?

• lindak4374

I am also having similar problems.  I've been told that when friends call my number it rings, goes dead silent, and then goes to voicemail.  This happens a lot.  I also have problems sending texts around where I live.

• magenta5806482

I just missed another incoming call. It directly went to VM. There is not even an entry in the call history

• magenta5806482

I had a support online session today. I was asked to reboot my mobile. Support person called me. It seems to work fine. I was back with this issue in couple of hours. I even tried using my wife's phone to call my number. The call went straight to VM. After reboot, I started receiving the calls. Even a SMS for VM came thru'.

I need a close investigation and will reach the support line tomorrow morning.

• bolognd

I've been having the same problems described here and in other similar threads. I can lend credence to the theory that it's associated with Chinese-manufactured phones because I have a OnePlus 5t. It feels like about half the time I have the issues described above -- calls not ringing and going straight voicemail, texts being delayed and received hours later, usually the next time I pick up my phone to place a call.

Hopefully this gets figured out soon because it has been very frustrating for me as well as friends and family.

I spoke once with Tmobile support to try and fix the issue and they recommended I clear my cache and reset network settings but the problems persist.

• trmcmu

I have also had the same problem.  I'm on a custom rom for my galaxy note 3, with latest baseband and modem.

When my phone is in 3g mode, it works all the time.  However I would like to use LTE for data, and sometimes when the phone is not being used, incoming calls will not turn on the phone and drop from 4g to 3g (no volte on custom roms )

Therefore, the only way to reliably use it as a phone is to keep 3g on.  which isn't as good as lte obviously

• magenta6333413

Not just Chinese manufactured phones. I am same issues with Samsung note 8 dual SIM.

• sweett600@gmail.com

I am having the same problem with the same Sony Xperia but my boyfriend is having the same issue with a BLU phone. I called customer service and they told me that I needed to switch from an unlocked phone to a T-Moblie phone. I declined. I left Sprint because of being locked into their phones. My issue started about 2 weeks ago on both phones. I don't think its a phone issue. I think its a network issue. Customer support submitted my ticket to engineering. We will see.

• notextgary

I've had my Sony xperia for a couple of years and no problems until recently my wife has called a few times and the call hasn't reached me. Infact we had quite a heated discussion, me showing her my call log with no call and she showing me hers with the call, glad to see other people with the same problem. Texts have sometimes come through late yesterday she texted me in the afternoon and it didn't come through until 8pm. My wife has an iphone so i blame that, luckily I have two phones one business one personal . I'm going to check on other carriers, tmobil doesn't treat long time customers with any degree of appreciation, we don't get pricing deals, recently I noticed I was running out of data, I thought I was on unlimited data but seemingly not when I checked my plan for some reason it showed 1Gig but, here's the kicker, selecting an extra Gig was free, 2Gig is the same as 1Gig. why didn't customer service tell me, they're always trying to sell me up to a new phone. My bill is on autopay and every other month they tell me the payment can't go through and to update my card info, every other month the payment goes through no problem, I just ignore it, what a way to run a business

• magenta6996457

Same issues on incoming calls.

Unit:  Oneplus 6 and OP6T

On 3G or WiFi Calling no issues

LTE NO Incoming calls, ALL calls goes directly to VM

VoLTE is a hit and miss