LG V20 Android 8.0 Oreo Update

magenta2740920

Hello T-Mobile:

Since the previous discussion is locked I am forced to open a new discussion.

Please advise when the Android 8.0 Update will be available for the T-Mobile LG V2 H918

Thank You

All replies

• chandan.patra98

Re: LG V20 Android 8.0 Oreo Update

when will we receive the update?? This month or in upcoming month??

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry the other discussion was closed. Currently, the software is in development and doesn't have a date for release. At this point, we'll need to stay tuned and we'll give updates on that page once the status changes.

LG V20: Updated to Android 8.0

• caribbean84

Pixel already has Android P, it's normal for that model to have access to the beta OS but, my point is that Android P is almost out aand we don't even have Oreo and LG doesn't even talk about the topic...

• enigmaco

They really need to hurry up, this has been dragging out for way too long, curious to know what the hold up is.  I know the V30 was experiencing issues, and 8.0 would be quite beneficial for this phone.  After using the OP6 running 8.1 the added features oreo has would help tremendously, also handle the bluetooth and gps issues this phone has.  Not sure who I am more frustrated with at this point T-mobile or LG smh...

• magenta2740920

Hello tmo_mike_c:

Has there been any updates on the development of this software release? I mean how long can it take? Android 8.0 has been out almost a year already. I mean why should people purchase a phone that can only be provided the original stock android and never get updates? Might as well just buy a $100 throw-away phone every year. Probably get either Pixel or another Google phone that gets updates when they are released. Sick of having older legacy releases when there is much better available. TMO and LG should have better support for their customers. I have had only TMO phones for 10 years starting with L90's and F6's.

• tmo_mike_c

I totally understand where you're coming from magenta2740920  and I did bring this up to my internal folks. It is still being developed but there's no hard date for the release. So, the "Update in development" status we have listed as of right now is still accurate. I'm sure we'll have more information once it's closer to being released. I know it's tough having to wait, but I do appreciate everyone's patience.

• enigmaco

That t-mobile response is comical and irritating at the same time.  9.0 is being released in 2 months, and they're still working on 8.0.  Definitely done with buying phones through t-mobile,  like to know what happened to this company to where they're a joke as far as software updates are concerned.

• enigmaco

Just bought a unlocked Note 8 and I'm loving it, so much better experience.  Also no t-mobile bloat or lockdown woohoo!!!!

• magenta_dr

Any news on the Oreo update for the LG V20?

• magenta5733023

I find it comical that this device was released in 2016 and hasn't seen a software update. This is just a reminder of why I buy devices that are factory unlocked and I'm not at the mercy of carriers approving updates from the OEMs to make sure that my device is up to date with the lastest software and security pathes.

• enigmaco

True I have a unlocked note 8 now, It's a little slower but I get the download booster with my phone which majority carriers disable for some reason.  It's on the July security patch.  The fact sprint beat t-mobile to the punch is a sad joke, t-mobile has done better as far as pricing, but in the process everything else has gone downhill.   T-mobile use to be one the first with software updates, sad change of events.

• magenta2740920

Still waiting.... Released for LG V20. How much longer?

• alek889

Guys,please..You should know already how things work.

I love my V20,but is a 2 year old device.What that means?

Means that either LG or T-MOBILE cares about you or your phone cause you already are a costumer.What you guys think will happend if you get all the updates right in time? You will  never buy another phone,right?Thats exacly what they want.You already pay for the V20.Now it is in they hands to make you buy another model from them.And how you think they gonna do that? Giving you the worst service posible so you get mad/sad and buy a new flagship. The moment you buy something from them in that same time you no longer are the focus.The next important thing for them is to push you to buy another one.And you guys really think this forums T-Mobile employees going to tell you the true?Come on guys.They always going to said the same:Is coming,is coming..dont worry is coming! If you want to do something about this,dont ever buy a phone for them.(T-Mobile or LG)

• enigmaco

You don't think we all know this?  But I'm not the type to sit back and be quiet.  I've told their customer service and store employees that I'm no longer buying their phones.  Do you think they give two craps about that?  Nope,  hell one employee wrote a bs sentence and never heard from anyone else again.   I'm getting the note 9 as well, buying it unlocked from best buy.  I can get more money from T-Mobile with my trade in, but I don't want any of their lock down garbage.   T-Mobile wants to be a poor mans Verizon.   Started to invoke Verizon tactics.   It's sad where T-Mobile is heading.  I may honestly head back there. Verizon is dirty, but at least they stab you in the front and not in the back.

• kmueller44

I've been a T-Mobile customer forever.  Well it was Aerial, then Voicestream, and T-Mobile purchased VoiceStream in 2000.  So technically I've been a customer since about 1998.  I've always been treated very well and service has always been great the few times I've had an issue.

While I like to have the latest and greatest operating system on my phone, it's not life or death.  My LG V20 is still solid and runs flawlessly even after almost 2 years of service.  Before my V20 I had a Nexus 5, also a great phone.  Even though I've enjoyed the V20, I'll be going back to a Google phone when I'm ready to upgrade.  I was always able to directly download the latest greatest Android version the day it was released and manually install it (instead of waiting for OTA updates).  I'm assuming that is still the case with the Pixel series.  While my life does not depend on having the latest operating system, I do find it odd that the V20 has NEVER had a software update in the 2 years it's been out, only security patches.  I do appreciate the security patches though.

So that being said, I have no problem with T-Mobile or LG, I'll just have to stick with Google branded phones moving forward.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I'll have to buy the phone direct from Google (unlocked) since T-Mobile apparently does not have the Pixel2 and assuming they wont have the Pixel3 when it is released.

• enigmaco

I've been a long time android user and have owned several phones.  I cannot recall a time where a flagship device has gone this long without 1 os update.  It's not about having the latest and greatest, it's about getting bugs fixed that 7.0 has.  I owned a nexus 6p that had the same issues with 7.0 and with 7.1.2 they were fixed.  But for some reason neither T-Mobile or lg wanted to give us that.  Almost 24 months later we're still sitting on the same os.  I just want timely updates, not 2 years of waiting and then nothing.  T-Mobile "use" to be great at updating devices.  But now they're a total joke.  Sprint updated their v20 meanwhile, the t-mobile version is still in development.  And neither T-Mobile or lg want to be honest about what the hold up is.  But congrats to both companies I'm not buying phones from either of them going forward.

• kmueller44

To be honest, I have no idea what these "bugs" are that you say 7.1.2 "fixed".  Other than the V20 (since I don't own any other devices) what other examples do you have that T-Mobile "use to be great updating devices" and no longer are?  Just curious.

• enigmaco

GPS losing location and the bluetooth draining the battery quicker then its supposed to.  Prior to my V20 I was using the S6 and felt they were in the front as far as updates go.  But lately I have seen them release software updates later than the other carriers, also with the V30 and a samsung phone had to retract the releases due to bugs.  If I wanted the latest and greatest I would go with a pixel phone, essential, or oneplus but that's not what I'm focused on.  I just want timely updates.  I have an unlocked phone now, and my next phone in a few weeks is also going to be unlocked.  I'm not going through them locking down another phone that is delaying updates to it.

• ziurmi

It is September already and no date has been given (not even an approximate).  Does anybody know how many months before the update is released? (How many months after Sprint? They released it in July.) Will it be before Thanksgiving at least?

• magenta6228741

Lg is about to release the v40 thin q. So the lg v20 on T-Mobile won't see the update. So everyone has to buy the new phone to get it. That's how the company works.

• enigmaco

Yeah tmobile lost my business as far as phones go, look how much input there has been.  T-Mobile can suck it.

• magenta2740920

W13Woke up this AM and checked for system update and Lo and Behold Android 8.0 (Oreo) in waiting for download! Most threads mention doing a factory reset. What say you?Screenshot_20180929-070139.png

• formula409x

I downloaded the new Oreo 8.0 update this morning on my LG v20. I notice not that Spotify cannot be controlled by the second screen when the main screen is off yet Google play music works fine. Prior to the 8.0 update, Spotify worked fine on the second screen allowing me to play pause, forward and see who is playing without having wake the phone. I cleared caches, reinstalled Spotify and still the same issue. This is a function i used daily and now its gone.

• formula409x

Found that after downloading some songs from spotify that it is now working.

• magenta6461657

Since the update to 8.0 my battery life is drastically diminished.  This morning it went from 85% to 0 in a matter of two hours of just sitting idle. Battery Saver mode is no longer able to be set a certain % as it was 15 previously.  I escaped the Iphone world due to very poor battery life.  This phone has been great until this update!! Is there any way to resolve this.  I can not have an unreliable power issue.

• magenta2740920

I've had it for about a month or two. Battery life went down a little but the biggest problem is that all the numbers in my phone now saY "home" instead of "mobile" or "work" or "home". I don't know how to fix it. Even manual changes don't stay.