Solved

Can't send/receive MMS on Wi-Fi

I've been having some trouble with sending and receiving MMS while on a WiFi connection (so almost all the time) since I have stated using my T-Mobile sim on my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone from Sprint. Everything else seems to work fine e.g. calls, SMS, LTE, but when it comes to MMS it's a complete stalemate. I've tinkered my APN settings in almost every permutation I found online, and I don't have an option for Wi-Fi Calling so there's nothing I can seem to do on that front. A solution to this problem, so I can start receiving MMS again, would be great.

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 30 May 2018, 00:23

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hmm, that's pretty odd but let's see what we can do to help. If you're connected to the T-Mobile network, does MMS work? Are you getting any error messages or does it just get stuck on "downloading." You'll wanna test with other senders as well as different message to see if there's a trend.

Yes, it works on the T-Mobile network if Wi-Fi is turned off. It usually tries to download for several minutes (or tries to send for several minutes) before giving an error that it could not finish downloading or sending. As for the content of the conversation, it does not seem to matter if its a picture or a group MMS, I am unable to receive it or send it. This is true for the default messaging app--I switched to GoSMS to test and it seems to be sending MMS on Wi-Fi. Which I guess kind of helps but I really wish I could send it on my regular app...

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks for all that info, it does help isolate the issue. Have you tested other Wi-Fi connections to see if it works? Switching carriers shouldn't impact something like this. Have you also tested the data while connected to Wi-fi to make sure it's working?

This is true for both my work and home Wi-Fi, at the very least. How could I test data while connected to Wi-Fi?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Okay. To test data, you'd just open up a web browser and see if pages load or use apps that require data while connected to Wi-Fi. MMS requires a data connection so I'd just like to know if you can get it while you're on Wi-Fi.

Hi Mike C- tried to find you a little earlier on here.  Lots of changes going on and discussions like this are necessary but lengthy and costly?  So after a very stressful and trying day and SOME PROGRESS but at great expense it seemed to me.......HOW can we make some DIFFERENT and POSSIBLY better changes?

Badge +1

This is a long term well known problem with T-Mobile. Your best bet is to download another text app, Textra is a great one, and use that. Textra has a toggle that turns off WiFi on the phone when sending MMS. It is specifically called the T-Mobile WiFi fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @magenta4936749 .

Have you been able to test the data to see if that works on Wi-Fi? I have heard of other folks testing an alternate app and being able to get MMS to work. If you have tried another app as suggested above, please let us know if it works with your MMS. Thanks.

I mean if I open a web browser while I'm connected to WiFi would I just use my WiFi connection, not data, to load a given page? Anyway, since my MMS is working on an alternate texting app while connected to WiFi, I think that's established.

It wouldn't help with receiving multimedia messages, though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I just wanted to make sure you could use the data from your Wi-Fi connection. Since alternate apps are working, sounds like using data from your Wi-Fi isn't an issue. Have you tried the phone in Safe mode to see if MMS works? We're really coming down to the wire for steps we can take on your phone. Wiping the cache is my next suggestion but a complete reset would be the last option you could try on the phone.

Userlevel 4

Any luck with the safe mode option?

The other option is find a VERY tech savvy person to put T-mobile firmware on your Galaxy S7.

My friends ported their unlocked S7's from AT&T over to Tmobile and had the same issues intermittently.

so I downloaded firmware G930TUVS4BRC1 off of a developer's forum ( Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Watches & Android App Development - XDA Forums  )and used the Samsung tool "odin" to write it to the phone.

This totally erases the phone (best way) but you can back it up first using Samsung Smartswitch software then restore it afterwards.  You'll need to re-login to apps that save login and redo some settings but it's worth it.

Now their phone boots up with T-mobile logo not AT&T and looks just like a G930T (T-mobile version of Galaxy S7)

This is NOT for the inexperienced person as it can cause issues if done wrong but they now have ZERO issues....and didn't have to go out and buy new phones at great expense!

To moderators: if this sort of post isn't allowed let me know and delete it, but this DOES work and it's not that hard to do!

Dave in Tampa

That was one of the initial steps I tried, but no, the safe mode didn't help.

Wouldn't that require for me to root my phone anyway?

This doesn't need Root, just a version of the Samsung tool (Odin) that is modified to ignore the model checks (flashing G935T software onto G935A phone)

Since you mentioned root - I presume you are somewhat tech-savvy yourself?

Hopefully T-mobile moderators don't mind the links to firmware (I don't have time to read all the "terms and conditions")...

Anyway, it was kinda scary for me as friends couldn't afford to buy new phones (never done before) , but someone I work with told me if it didn't work Best Buy has a samsung rep who would reload the Stock AT&T software on it so you only lose time trying it and can then restore your files/apps after...

This doesn't trip the Knox security bit, nor does it cause e-Fuse issues, you just need to hope there is Tmobile software out there at same bootloader (BL) version as you are running now -- I can't do this to my S8 Active as TMO is BL v1, and ATT is BL v2 😥 ...I have to wait until TMO updates to BL v2.

The latest firmware on TMO is G935TUVS4BRC1 so you'd need to locate that from a reputable source

(DISCLAIMER - I CANNOT GUARANTEE sources of firmware - USE AT OWN RISK)

I did a quick look and found the latest firmware on this thread:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-s7-edge/help/galaxy-s7-edge-tmobile-stock-rom-t3729776

Patched ODIN loader is on this thread

Patched Odin 3.13.1 | Android Development and Hacking

Anyway, if you wanna try yourself there are other things to research:

Put phone in developer mode and enable USB debugging (they say it helps)

Use Smartswitch to back up data (move private files to a folder before backing up - flash will erase phone)

Put phone in recovery mode and do factory reset, then reboot, then do clear cache partition

Put phone in download mode and connect to USB Port (do NOT use USB3 ports - they can cause issues for some odd reason)

Open Modded Odin, put files in each of the 4 boxes labeled (BL, AP, CP, CSC)

Click <START> and pray LOL

Watch screen, in about 5 min or so it should finish - but be patient

AGAIN - THIS IS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK - Tmobile won't support you if ya mess it up and I 'm not liable as I barely know how to do it myself (But it wasn't that bad - but I'm an IT guy by trade)

do lots of research if doing yourself -

GOOD LUCK

Userlevel 3

Hey, @magenta4936749​!

I did some digging and was able to find that there is a known issue with Galaxy S7 Edge models that have an issue when handing off WiFi to the data network when trying to send MMS'. My recommendation would be to talk with Tech Support via 611 or T-Force (Facebook/Twitter) to get a ticket filed with our Engineers. By chance, have you already done this? If not, give that a shot and keep us updated on the outcome of the ticket.

I had the same issue with my Sprint phone that I brought to T-Mobile.  When connected to WiFi, I couldn't send or receive MMS messages or participate in Group Chats.

In the Messages app, under settings, there was a Chat Settings menu, that was supposed to have options to enable MMS and Group Chats over WiFi.  When I attempted to access the Chat Settings menu it presented a dialog box that said I must register, and they would text me a message with a verification code.  When I attempted to register, the text message never arrived.  I'm guessing it might have been attempting to register with Sprint.

I fixed the issue by installing the Messages App (Google LLC).  Now I can send and receive MMS and Group Chat messages, on and off of WiFi.  Under the Settings menu -> App option, I changed my default messaging app to the Google one.

I have had the same issue on my LG V20 for a year or so now. I finally found a solution that worked for me by accident. If I use T-Mobile Digits and the native SMS app on my LG (only the native one will work) everything seems to working as it was meant to. I only found out about digits a few days ago (not sure why T-Mobile is not advertising it). Digits allows you to use multiple phone numbers on one phone (through cellular data connection or WIFI) and also allows you to use your phone number on other devices as long as it has an internet connection. Some phones have the Digit app as a native app (the V20 does) but you can also download the app. The native version is not activated by default, you have to go to the Digits web app to activate it. It was a bit of a convoluted process and I'm not 100% how I managed it but when I log into my T-Mobile account and click on "phone" it showed me a Digit link below the image of my phone. After clicking that it asked me if I wanted to activate this on my phone. Once activated you have to go to your phones settings, accounts and add the digits account (not sure if this is fully necessary but this will allow you to use multiple phone numbers). Once activated when I opened the LG messenger app on my phone it showed me a magenta sim card symbol next to all my conversations. This now means all the conversation (or at least the new ones) will also show up on which ever other device you register to it. You can even log into it on a web browser at T-Mobile DIGITS . I'm not 100% sure how this makes it work but I think its because Digits is fully web based it sends all the info as pure data not some hybrid MMS/SMS thing. Hope this works for other people too.

So this has been an ongoing issue for me for 2 years on a Pixel 2XL and a Pixel before that.

I think I have finally figured it out. I noticed mine would work sometimes and not others.  Started looking at making profile changes, etc, and noticed that the default T-Mobile profile prefers IPv6 over IPv4.  I live in an area where we have Time Warner Cable/Spectrum and their IPv6 is pretty shady at times.

Went into my WiFi router and disabled IPv6, my MMS has worked flawlessly ever since!  My roommate who has a Pixel 3XL, solved her problem too!  I believe it actually has nothing to do with the phone or the service, but actually with IPv6 and your internet carrier.  Try disabling IPv6 on your internet router and I bet it will fix it for you too!

Now, I have to figure out how I can disable IPv6 just for my device so other devices in the house can use it.

Badge

Go to your apn settings.

If you cannot edit your current apn, add a new one and make it identical.

In the APN type field, copy your original settings except: if it says internet, change to internet+MMS. if it does not have internet, add internet+MMS. should look like this:

default,supl,internet+MMS,hipri,fota

or similar

I'm having the same problem on a OnePlus 8 phone.

I've switched the APN protocol to IPv4, and added “internet+MMS" to APN type - but still cannot send or receive MMS without a cellular network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm having the same problem on a OnePlus 8 phone.

I've switched the APN protocol to IPv4, and added “internet+MMS" to APN type - but still cannot send or receive MMS without a cellular network.

Android guide

1. Open the Access Point Names or APNs menu.
    1. In Settings, look under Wireless & Networks or choose the Connections tab.
    2. Select Mobile network. You may need to choose More settings, More..., or More networks first.
    3. Select Access Point Names.
  2. Choose the T-Mobile APN if one is available. If not, select Menu and select new APN.
  3. Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN.
    • Name: T-Mobile
    • APN: fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)
    • Proxy: <Not set>
    • Port: <Not set>
    • Username: <Not set>
    • Password: <Not set>
    • Server: <Not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    • MMS proxy: <Not set>
    • MMS port: <Not set>
    • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    • MCC: 310
    • MNC: 260
    • Authentication Type: <Not set>
    • APN Type: default,supl,mms OR Internet+MMS
      • Default Android provides a text field to enter default,supl,mms.
      • Samsung provides an Internet+MMS radio button to select.
    • APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    • APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 or IPv4 only when roaming internationally
    • Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs
    • Bearer: Unspecified
  4. Select MenuSave.
  5. Delete any other APNs that appear in the list. The FOTA APN can remain if available.
    Select the APN that needs to be removed, then select MenuDelete APN.
  6. Verify there is a circle next to the remaining APN.
  7. Perform a soft reset. Hold down the power button until the device turns off and restarts.
  8. Test the data connection and/or MMS by accessing the Web or sending a picture message.
  9. Complete additional troubleshooting if the APN settings are correct, but customers still experience issues.

Yes, I followed those instructions.

I've actually figured out what's going on.

The http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc URL works over the cellular network - but times out over WiFI.

And it's not just my WiFi - try e.g. https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com.html. So… why is it only working over the cellular network?

My s22 has same issus.  If I reboot my phone and hit send again sometimes it will come in or go out, but this is very annoying with T-Mobile wifi calling feature.  When it does work, it just takes forever to receive or send an image. I have to tell people to email me instead of texting me an image. It's very frustrating.

And when I switch to the Google messages I still have problems so it's definitely the T-Mobile network.