Voicemail

loaded4th

Earlier today, I received a voicemail from a number that is no longer in service. The phone did not ring, and there is no call log to indicate the caller. The voicemail was 16 seconds long and in Chinese. Can anyone explain how this happens. It's rather frustrating as this is a legacy pay-as-you-go phone, so I'm paying for this abuse.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Voicemail

It's called "Caller ID Spoofing"

Scammers are spoofing the number they are calling from (partly to keep their identity hidden so they're harder to trace, partly to trick you to answer because it appears to be a number "local to you" (the latter part only really works with land lines when the prefixes in an area area all the same.

The unfortunate part is there's nothing that can be done.  I get several a day between my work and cell numbers (it's actually great because my work forwards to my cell, and half of them are identified by Android as "Suspected Scam Caller")

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • loaded4th

With a number that is no longer in service, I agree that the line was spoofed. However, it does not explain how the caller bypassed the call log and went straight to my voicemail. Not knowing the detail of the message means I can only speculate as to why someone would want to leave a foreign language message only on my voicemail.

• tmo_lauren

Voicemail can be dialed into directly, or if they called at a time when your device was off or out of service. Otherwise I would agree!

-Lauren

• loaded4th

Yes, seems that there are some services out there that allows a caller to to go directly into the voicemail for a landline or mobile number (in essence bypassing the call log). I don't think the device being off by itself would bypass the call log though?

• smplyunprdctble

Your phone's call log is a log of anything it sees.

Your phone must be on and ring in order for it to show up in this log.

As for T-Mobile's log, I don't know the full rules (I don't look at mine anymore really).  I know a call that is made and you don't answer and they don't leave a voicemail isn't logged.  I don't know about if it flips over to voicemail and they hang up or if it flips over to voicemail and they leave a message.