LG V30 Oreo broke bluetooth audio

magenta3200699

After updating to Oreo via the OTA release, bluetooth audio now skips/stutters constantly.  Before the update it never skipped at all.  Anyone else experiencing this yet?  Hardware/Software info:  LG V30 LG-H932 Rev.1.0 from T-mobile.  Android v 8.0.0, 4.4.78 kernel, h93320h software.   The only bluetooth audio device that I use it with (so the only I've tested with so far) is my vehicles Pioneer AVH-X2600BT head unit.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: LG V30 Oreo broke bluetooth audio

Oh man. I haven't seen anything about Oreo causing this. Are you able to test another Bluetooth device like a headset to see if the same thing happens? You could try to wipe cache and reboot the phone to see if that helps.

• magenta4918022

I had the same problem and unpairing then clearing cache and data for Bluetooth, then restarting the phone and pairing again fixed the problem

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • tmo_mike_c

Hi magenta3200699.

Have you tried the suggestion above? Please give that a shot and let us know if that helps. Thank you.

• duckattach

Has anyone tried that yet?  I'm in the same boat.  Bluetooth was fine before Oreo and now it's extremely choppy.

I don't really want to have to jump through hoops if it's not going to work.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, all! Just wanted to see if anyone else had tested out the troubleshooting steps that magenta4918022 shared!

• magenta4965814

I can confirm that I had the same problem and unpairing all devices in Bluetooth settings, then clearing cache and data in Bluetooth and restarting phone and re-pairing devices fixed it. To clear Bluetooth data and cache, go to general tab of settings, then app and notifications, then app info. Then click 3 menu dots at top right, and "show system". This will show system apps. Scroll down to Bluetooth. There's 2 of them. After clicking on either one, click storage. Then clear cache and delete data. I did this for both Bluetooth items shown in the list. Restart phone, reconnect Bluetooth devices and you should be good to go.

• magenta4981552

I too am having problems with the Oreo update for the V30 communicating with my car's infotainment system (A2DP) and I have already reset the phone post-update.

The skipping is about on-par with 7.x, but what is new is that my steering wheel controls no longer advance or reverse track numbers. On previous phones, I could expect the track to change followed by an audible beep. No longer the case (either).

• cabomix

Here is my report on the same issue and what I've done about it.

For a preamble I'd like to say that the LG V30 has been the best phone I ever had hands down bar-none. Before the update I operated Hyundai premium media head, 2 Automatic adapters for my cars, 6 different headsets, 2 Speakers, bt hotspot, 4 trackr devices, all Bluetooth of different quality and versions and advanced codecs like HD APTX A2DP. Non had problems at all with skipping. Since the Oreo update on my LG-H932 Hardware Version 1.0 Software Version H93220h all my audio devices are skipping constantly.

Before trying magenta4965814 solution the skipping was incessant every 5-15 seconds. After following all the steps I have longer periods where there is no skipping but they are still there. I cleared all devices listed under Bluetooth before I reset both bluetooth apps cache's and data.Turned off then on. Reset my headsets before repairing them (plugging your bt headset to charge and pressing the power for 5 seconds). Is there a way to roll back to Nugget until a fix is ready? I use my bluetooth audio for everything I really need a fix.

• magenta4965814

Sorry to hear that the solution doesn't work. It worked for me but then I also slowly had the skipping return. Unfortunately. I think the problem could be with updating over the top of Nougat. I also tried a factory reset and restored an LG backup and still the Bluetooth issues were there. I think restoring the Nougat backup on top of the Oreo system screws things up. Also had data issues after this restore. Data would just stop working even though it showed a full 4G signal. Would happen several times per day in all places. Anyways, I finally factory reset without restoring a backup. This took about 5 hours though to download all my apps individually and set everything up the way that I like it and change settings in every single app, etc. But now I have no data drops. And my Bluetooth audio is perfect. Tested for several hours yesterday. Hopefully the fix persists. I'll be driving around today for a few hours and will test it there also. If going the factory reset route, just make sure you check every single app for info that you need to backup. For example, I have a note taking app but it has a backup feature. Often the backup file is on internal storage which gets erased in the factory reset. So move backup files to SD card or computer. Also photos, videos, everything in the file system that you don't want erased forever. Text messages I backed up with SMS backup and restore app. WhatsApp can backup to Google drive. MCbackup for contacts. You would also lose any progress in games, etc. It's a big decision but it was worth a try for me as not having Bluetooth audio is kind of impossible. I'll update here if my issues return after further testing.

• pongalong

Looking forward to hearing your results. I did a factory reset, but I restored by data. If you report back positive then I'll bite the bullet and follow suit!

• magenta4965814

I've been playing music via Bluetooth in my car for about 3 hours total today. At different times. I no longer have the data issues and music plays flawlessly. It's the second Bluetooth device that I've tried and it's perfect. So looks like the only way to avoid issues is to factory reset and set up everything like new. Pretty annoying but it's what it is. So obviously a problem with LG's method of restoring data or upgrading over previous data. It's definitely LG's problem more than T-Mobile. They probably tested devices with fresh clean Oreo and not upgrades or backups restored. Phone works flawlessly for me now after the factory reset and no backup restored. Lot of work. Be careful to save everything you can. But it's worth it for a phone with 0 issues.

• pongalong

Thank you for the update! Would you mind reporting back after a few days? I've noticed that the problem slowly comes back after a normal reset (with backup data) - I hope that completely blank slate will resolve the issue.

• magenta4965814

Bad news everybody. Even with factory reset, after I connected a second Bluetooth device while listening to music in the car, the skipping started again. Very badly. Even after disconnecting the second device, the skipping continues. And the data drops again. Looks like I have a full 4G signal, but nothing works. Music stops streaming, GPS app looking for network. Several times a day, I have to turn airplane mode on and off to get it to work again. So frustrating. Waited forever for this update. Update screws everything up. Factory reset and restore backup still screws everything up. Clean factory reset and still screwed up. I must have wasted 30+ hours of my life dealing with this. And now my Bluetooth doesn't work. And signal dropping costing me money as I drive uber and lyft. Hope they fix this soon! How could they test these devices and not find all these problems!?

• pongalong

I'm having the same issues. A smartphone isn't very useful without any of the communications abilities. This has almost made the phone unusable - I regret buying the phone outright because I can't just jump to a different model. I am ready to sell this and move to another phone/carrier.

T-MOBILE could we get an ETA or some acknowledgement that this is being addressed? We know the Oreo update was halted because of all the issues people are reporting. Those of us that trustingly updated are hurting.

• pongalong

Update and recourse through claiming warranty (purchased 10/17):

1. (Fail) I contacted LG and spoke with a support representative. I identified my issue as that the radios (cell, wifi, bluetooth) are all unreliable and cut out. The rep offered to repair my phone and I further explained that it's not a hardware issue and I'd like to get a replacement phone still running Nougat. She assured me that the technicians would be able to do a "standard repair" and fix any issues with my phone. Additionally I would have to send my phone in without a replacement for 2-3 weeks. Because I wasn't confident that they wouldn't mail it back to me when they couldn't reproduce the issue, I didn't do this.
                                                2. (Success, hopefully) I went to a T-Mobile store where I remembered talking to some more knowledgeable reps and they understood my problem immediately and began the warranty process after checking my customer history and purchase date. We had a chat about all the update issues LG and Samsung have had. I should be getting a replacement this week and if the phone is on Nougat, it will be a keeper. The rep did a fantastic job and has stopped me from bailing on T-Mobile.

I use my phone for work, including tethering and remotely connecting to offsite computers and the Oreo update was very painful. If T-Mobile or LG would let us know an estimate of when to expect a fix I might tough-it-out, but for anyone else in my situation I would recommend going into a store and working with a rep.

• marklotr88

Bluetooth issues for me as well, same skipping that other have reported. Removing all devices and clearing cache and data did seem to help but it i not a full fix. I still have some skipping but not enough that it really bothers me but it should be pointed out that on Nugget I had zero Bluetooth issues. I notice the V30 Oreo update was stopped and the device is listed again under in development for the Oreo update. Hopefully when the update rolls out again it fixes all these Bluetooth issues.

• zerokool2k

I am also having major WiFi connectivity issues along with crazy bad Bluetooth  issues, I am tired of clearing the cache, and resetting my network settings over and over again. I really hope they come through with a fix like ASAP. I also notice that this update has made some of my other apps go bonkers as well. Now every time I skip a song in Tidal I hear the sound I chose for my main notification, and it's annoying!!!

• magenta3200699

Original op here.... Problem still occurring after suggested fixes. It also occurs on other Bluetooth devices (like Toyota head unit).

My phone now sucks badly.  It is unacceptable that such a serious bug made it through beta. Tmobile and LG really crapped the bed on this one.

• tmo_mike_c

T-Mobile doesn't have any known issues listed for this but I'm seeing it pop up when I Google searched it. Has anyone hear reached out and heard back from LG to see if they have any suggestions on steps that can help?

• magentaalan12

After ANY major Android update, Factory reset your device . Backup call logs and text messages if you like, send them to a cloud. Reset your device let it restore apps and then restore you logs/messages. It takes 20 minutes and your phone will run like new .My V30 was just upgraded to 8.0 and as soon as it did it's first boot, I reset it .it's working better than it did the day I bought it last year. 

• tmo_mike_c

I do appreciate you coming here and keeping everyone updated pongalong . Sorry to hear things didn't work out with LG, but I do hope your replacement device works better for you.

I would encourage that anyone running into this issue at least try the back up and reset as well as test connecting with other devices. If the device is still under warranty, and a replacement is needed you should be able to get that done without any issues.

• nolehunter

I have this same issue. It's driving me crazy. I've done two factory resets which seem to fix it for awhile but it keeps coming back. I've tried every version of clearing the bluetooth cash and data to no avail. This is a major dissapointment after waiting so long for this update.

• veener79

I am also having this issue also.  I did the clearing of all BT data and rebooting the phone.  It did not do any improvements. 

• mapthomas

Don't know if anyone has this issue but the skipping on my handset only occurs when the screen is on.

Hopefully this is consistent with others and that there is a fix sooner than later.