Military veteran proof.

bikerb12

Will my driver's license with my military veteran status work for proof for military discount? Since I had to provide my DD214 to the DMV.

All replies

• tronguy123

Re: Military veteran proof.

I took a picture of my DD-214 from '77 and that appears to be all it took.

I had gone to a T-Mobi look e store. They really couldn't help, except to hand me some papers stating what proof was necessary.

Got home, eyeballed the instructions, and called 611. The lady at the other end signed me up, then instructed me to turn off the phone for a half hour. When the phone got turned on there was a text message waiting with a link to a verification page. That page, in turn, wanted me to text a picture of the verification doc.  did that, got a confirmation that it had been received about an hour later. The next day got another text stating my application had been approved, and now the T-Mobile app says I'm on the military plan.

For the three of us on the plan it looks cheaper, but it's not half off; the second and third lines are more expensive than the One plan, and one doesn't get $10 off for being below 2 Gig in a given month. Still, closer to $120 than $180, so I'll take it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, bikerb12! As tronguy123 mentioned, a clear image upload of the DD-214 should work, but depending on the state, your ID can work, too! You can find a link to the verification site and steps to log on here: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37061#heading4 -- when you're using the site, it should provide the list of accepted documents. It's worth noting that:

Most customers will be verified immediately. In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional details to verify your eligibility (such as Active Duty & Business customers with account type "B"). If further information is required, you will be notified right away, and will need to upload documents confirming your military status to complete your verification. A confirmation of your validation status will be sent to you via email within 48 hours.

If you do need to upload documentation, for most folks, only one form of ID will be necessary (if there's a situation with a name change, then more info to support that might be required). Please feel free to omit, cover up, or black out any sensitive information that you're not comfortable sharing (SSN, etc). Acceptable file formats are .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, or .pdf.

For veterans and retirees, the documents you can upload are:

• Veteran
            • DD214
            • NGB 22 (National Guard Report of Separation of Military Service)
            • Honorable Discharge Certificate
            • Some states list veteran status on their driver’s license
            • Veterans Affairs ID Card
            • VA form 26-1880
          • Retiree
            • DD214
            • Official letter
            • NGB 23 (National Guard Retirement Points Summary Statement)
            • Retirement Certificate

Please let me know if this helps or if you bump into any additional questions or concerns walking through the process!

• tolliver

@Marissa, isn't T-Mobile using a back-end connection to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act Website to confirm military status (SCRA) for most personnel and that the forms of identification are really only needed if that verification fails?  The only reason I bring it up is because when confirming my military service with T-Mobile, I didn't have to provide any documentation and it was similar to what Lowes used when I tied my military service for their discount program where I entered my name, branch of service and the date I was discharged (only the year for T-mobile's verification) and my veteran status was confirmed.  It might make it feel easier for customers to sign up for T-mobile if the only barrier\concern they have is how to get verified and that their personal\private data isn't being collected that some day in the future will accidentally get out.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, tolliver! While I don't know the name of the platform that's being used, the T-Mobile ONE Military document linked up top in my reply does mention:

Most customers will be verified immediately. In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional details to verify your eligibility (such as Active Duty & Business customers with account type "B"). If further information is required, you will be notified right away, and will need to upload documents confirming your military status to complete your verification. A confirmation of your validation status will be sent to you via email within 48 hours.

So I think you make a good point -- I didn't intend to make it seem as though every customer verifying would need to provide documentation. I'll amend my response to call this out!

• magenta4899458

Yes, you need a DD214......

And what does that do for my account ending in -6626 ?

• magenta4899458

Currently at $125/month... is there a savings w/ sending you the DD214?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta4899458!
                    We definitely want you to know how it will effect your account so that you can determine whether switching to T-Mobile ONE Military is right for you -- but we don't have a secure platform to verify and review individual accounts from this public user forum. If you reach out to our Care team by dialing 611, or if you're active on social media you can contact our T-Force team on Twitter or Facebook, we can take a look at your existing plan, features, and costs and do a comparison to make sure that the change is right for you!