Temporary suspension option missing on one of my lines on MyTmobile

noms

I have a son who has been skipping classes and watching youtube on his phone during class according to his teachers...I wanted to temporarily suspend his line as punishment (since family allowances does not have the option to block/restrict data, only purchases...2018 calling T-Mobile: all text and voice that teens use is through data!), and for some reason the option "Temporary Suspension" in the Phones section on the My T-Mobile account page for his phone number is not showing up, where on the other two lines the "Temporary Suspension" option is available.  

What's up with that?

All replies

• tidbits

noms wrote:

I have a son who has been skipping classes and watching youtube on his phone during class according to his teachers...I wanted to temporarily suspend his line as punishment (since family allowances does not have the option to block/restrict data, only purchases...2018 calling T-Mobile: all text and voice that teens use is through data!), and for some reason the option "Temporary Suspension" in the Phones section on the My T-Mobile account page for his phone number is not showing up, where on the other two lines the "Temporary Suspension" option is available.

What's up with that?

Sounds like your line isn't the main account.  Only the main line is allowed to suspend lines.  Dial 611 and have them reset your MyT-Mobile accounts and then make sure you setup you telephone number as the main line.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • smplyunprdctble

The conversation makes it sound like you've done this before.

Maybe twice before?

You can only suspend a line twice in a year: Account suspensions

That's the only thing I can think of.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • tmo_marissa

Hey, noms! Just wanted to check back in here and see if you'd been able to get to the bottom of this. I'm not sure if it was a system omission based on previous suspensions, like Smply suggested, or if t's a system error -- in which case tidbits' suggestion to reach out to our Care, Tech or T-Force teams would be the best call so that we can look into the account and possibly get a ticket filed. How are things going now?

• noms

Ah, only two suspensions per year...maybe that's it.

Looks like I have to cancel our T-Mobile account if I can't restrict data on his line...seriously, what's the point of parental control that only blocks calls and text when kids no longer use those elements of service?

• tmo_marissa

I hear you -- and we are happy to forward the feedback. I know you're not the first parent with this concern!

I'm not sure if perhaps there's a safety concern regarding removing data from a smartphone, when they more or less rely on data to function? That's just a guess, I can't speak to the reason that this option doesn't exist in Family Allowances in any official or engineering capacity.

That said, depending on your plan type, you may be able to simply change the data feature to "no data" for the line (on older plans with grandfathered features, the current data plan on the line may not be available to add back, though). The internet features will still work on WiFi, which many locations these days have. Also, depending on the account type there might be billing concerns or limitations regarding stopping and starting a data plan in the middle of your bill cycle.

I know that this alternative solution comes with a lot of funky potential hiccups, but I'd rather offer the possibility than nothing at all! If you're interested in looking into that, and reaching out via the internet is comfortable for you, you're welcome to contact our T-Force team on Twitter or FB. Through DM on Twitter or Message on Facebook we have a secure method to verify your account, and can take a look at the plan and determine if there are any options to remove the data feature!

• tmo_marissa

Hey, noms! I wanted to swing by and see if you'd reached out to a team with account access to see if removing the data on that line altogether was an option for you! How are things going?