Can't send message with GCI error 28

sgcbundy

Hi,

I've been using T-mobile in Alaska for over 2 years now and never had a problem. T-mobile uses the local GCI's towers, the local carrier, for service up here. I recently upgraded to a pixel 2 XL last month and everything has been fine until now. Just last night I was texting someone, and in the middle of the conversation my message stopped sending. I saw an error at the bottom of the screen that said "can't send message with GCI, error 28". I've been searching for a fix all morning but it doesn't look like there are any solid solutions out there. I've used the advice from the previous thread, and dropped my service to 2G, I've also re-seated my sim card, and both didn't work. I don't know what else to do, I've considered doing a factory reset on my phone, but I'm not sure that will help. Any thoughts?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Can't send message with GCI error 28

Hmmm, sgcbundy, this is a weird one. I'm not sure a factory reset would assist, but I also don't know what that particular error message indicates -- network error? Provisioning issue? It's hard to tell, but my first guess wouldn't be a device problem. It sounds like you've done a bunch of troubleshooting already -- great job! When you first got your Pixel, did you set up the BYOD APNs on your own? Do you think anything has changed that might have altered something there?

Are you still seeing this now; or did it clear up? If you're still getting errors, I think the next recommendation I would make would be to reach out to our internal teams with account access -- specifically, Tech Care -- and have a ticket filed under the Roaming category (our reps should know to select this when you provide your address, but it doesn't hurt to mention it to be careful!).

• tmo_amanda

Re: Can't send message with GCI error 28

Happy Friday, sgcbundy!

Marissa asked a couple of questions and also provided some recommendations. If you're still seeing that error message, please get back to us so we can help out more.