S8+ can't receive group messages any more

vinny8

Since I updated to OREO, the Samsung Messages no longer receives group messages (via MMS). I receive them as individual messages. I have tried everything suggested on the web, but to no available. If I switch to Android Messages, then I am able to receive the group messages.

I check the settings in Samsung Messages and the Group Messages option is not available.

Messages > ... > Settings > More Settings > Multimedia Messages

I don't mind using Android Messages, but then I am not able to utilize Samsung Messages with my Gear S3.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: S8+ can't receive group messages any more

Oh man that's no good, but we do wanna help get your group messages working again. Can you check your Advanced messaging settings and see if the option set to Automatically accept all? Also, does this happen with group messages that you start or ones that other senders create?

• tmo_amanda

Hey, vinny8!

I see you're new to our Support Community; welcome! Mike gave some good info about the Advanced Messaging settings. Have you had a chance to look over those on your S8+ yet? Once you check them out and make sure you have "automatically accept all" enabled, let us know if that fixes the issue or if you're still not able to receive group messages.

• vinny8

Tried everything. Nothing seems to work.

I'm switching to Android Messages as my default messaging app now. It doesn't seem to have this problem

The problem is that the Gear S3 app is not compatible with Android Messages, so I can't using the messaging features from my S3 watch.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh geez. You've done quite a bit! I was gonna suggest a reset so I appreciate you trying that. Since it's working with the Android messaging app, have you reached out to Samsung to see if they may have heard of this? They may have a other suggestions on solutions for this.

• vinny8

Yes, I started there. There's several postings on their forums with similar issues and no solutions as yet. I thought I would try with TMobile since it was an official carrier update that broke the group mms. Tmobile's version of Messages also does not include the Group Messaging option according to the boards, but I don't know if that's true.

I have found an alternative solution, though not as ideal as having Messages work. I have switched back to Samsung Messages so that I can get notifications via my S3 watch. I also use Tmobile Digits to send and reply to group messages. It's the only way for the two message services to coexist on a phone that I have found.

• tmo_mike_c

I took a look at my Messaging app settings and mine shows an Advanced option where I could change group and MMS messaging settings. I'm glad you have a workaround, but I'm gonna run this by my internal team to see what we can find out about this.

• vinny8

If you're using Android Messages (blue icon), then there is an Advanced option to allow control of Group and MMS. Samsung Messages (at least the Tmobile version) has removed that several versions ago. The only option that closely resembles that is the one that you originally suggested, which is the Multimedia limit and the Multimedia Messages, which doesn't include a Group option like it did previously and with other carriers according to the Samsung help forums.

Hopefully it can be addressed with the next update.

Thank you for your assistance.

• tmo_mike_c

Group messaging is sent of the network as an MMS, so it's possible that you could take a look at the settings within the Multimedia Messages to see if there are any options there that can be changed. I'd think this would be something that would need to be a software fix, but I'm checking to see what's going on with this.