Anyone elses LTE as bad as mine?

empathy

I've pretty much given up on the idea of addressing the problem. It's been this bad since LTE rolled out. And apparently I don't live in an area that's worth servicing.  Though from things I've read here and in different places T-Mobile has begun repurposing it's 3G network to expand it's LTE reach.  Which means now I have barely tolerable 3G when I'm at home.

There was a major power outage a few weeks ago and wind just knocked power out in the area again yesterday. In the previous outage my internet and cable were down but my generator kept everything else going.  I had to depend on my phone as a hotspot. Would have been nice to use some of the LTE spewds on the network I pay for but 3mb down of 3G is much faster than what I get on LTE.

http://imgur.com/gallery/yjsZ7si ( for those that don't like random links) .51mb down and .66mb up.

On top of that a friend's tells me that he calls me often but I dont answer. No ring, no missed calls. Only way I know the call came through is if he leaves a voicemail. Who knows how many calls I've been missing. Apparently my job tried to call me the other day and warn me that my badge was going to expire, but I never got the call.  After 13 years with T-Mobile I'm starting to feel a little silly for not switching at this point.

All replies

• cesaribenitez95

Re: Anyone elses LTE as bad as mine?

Have you consider a signal booster? I do mean an actual signal booster, not the one you need a 3rd party high speed internet connection. Also what phone do you have? I was having the same issues with my Nokia lumina 925, it was time for an upgrade.

• empathy

I have considered it. About a year ago I talked with customer service and did some research. They ended up sending me the third party high speed internet kind of booster. I've never even taking it out of the box because it's useless for my use case.  And from reading I assume a signal booster won't do me any good since my signal is horrible outside my home as well, my entire block really.   This has been an issue for about 3 or 4 different devices now. I'm currently on a pixel 2xl and still dealing with horrible LTE.  I truly think it just a lack of infastructute in my area and no incentive for T-Mobile to do anything about it.

• magenta3466467

I had read the same thing about the re purposing.  In my area, it goes from LTE to 2G.  The 2G is not usable at all. I just recently downloaded the open signal app. It does require permissions. Tt will let you know what tower you are connected to and where in addition to some other features, like a speed test.  The data it collects is contributed to their database which is used for carrier ratings.  I've added it on all our devices, hopeful someone will see that we don't have service most of the time.  When T-mobile does it's advertising about it's ratings; it's based on open signal.

• empathy

That sucks. So far it seems I haven't been banished to the 2G realm just yet.  And yeah I've been using opensignal for awhile now. Apparently T-Mobile is very proud of the rating they get from opensignal. Which is one of the reasons this has been so frustrating. My nearest tower is literally like 3 streets over. So getting unusable LTE and subpar 3G makes no sense to me.   I wonder how much of the user base is people wanting to know how fast their service is vs. people experiencing less than optimal service. If more people with issues we're using opensignal I think it might encourage improvements.

• magenta3466467

yes, that is my hope! right now it says I'm connected 10% of the time. haha.

• empathy

Two tests i ran after i came in the door just now. Tmobile - Album on Imgur

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry to hear you were impacted by the outage. Normally those don't go on for weeks so it may be worth looking into again. Have you reached out to our Tech Care folks and filed a Service Complaint for your area? That'll get engineers involved to investigate what's going on.