StreamToMe  App worked until October.  Appears to be blocked.

magenta4809502

For years I have used the StreamToMe app to watch content from my computer on my phone.

I switched to T-Mobile to have unlimited access to my content.  Even though I don't use it that often, when I am trapped in my car waiting for my kids lesson to end, it is a great tool to have.

In November, T-Mobile apparently started blocking StreamToMe traffic (reference here).

I contacted support about this a few months ago, but never heard back from them.

Has anyone else had any luck with this?

All replies

• tidbits

I tried it and it worked fine for me, but I had to play around with port forwarding to make it work.

Are you sure it isn't your ISP, windows/Mac, or your router?  Have you tried using someone elses computer?

• magenta4809502

It works when connected to wifi.

It doesn't work on LTE.

I should have specified that.  When I am on wifi, T-Mobile isn't involved.

• tidbits

Just because it works on wifi, but not LTE it still can be your router or ISP

Is your network IPv6 or is it still IPv4 in your area.  Is your Router setup as IPv4 or a combination of IPv4/6? 

T-Mobile network has switched to IPv6 and has been for a while they do not use IPv4 at all. 

Just asking a lot of questions to figure why it isn't working for you, but working for me.  Maybe we can find the culprit as to why.

• magenta4809502

I have a new Asus router and It is running ipv6 in Native Connection type

My ISP is Verizon Fios.  I believe they are IPV6

My PC has both ipv4 & ipv6 checked in etheret properties.

I appreciate your thoughts.

This worked until October. and On the Stream to Me Website this message is listed:

Current issue affecting T-Mobile users

Since the start of October, T-Mobile appears to be blocking StreamToMe traffic on their LTE network, leading to StreamToMe getting stuck on a "Loading..." message when trying to play media. Please report the problem to T-Mobile via their support page, if you have the time. Last updated Oct 25, 2017

Thanks

• tmo_chris

Interesting! I do believe that tidbits is on to something here with the iPV6 only network that we use. We will not block specific apps or sites (unless you are using web guard but that is a different scenario). Are you able to confirm that the StreamToMe app has an IPV6 only option? 

• magenta4809502

I don't know any way to check if the app has is IPV6.  If you have a suggestionon how to determine this, I would be glad to check it.

Is IPV6 something that T-Mobile changed in October?  If not, I would think that it has to be something else.  I would be curious how tidbits gets it to work for him.

I can access from a remote location as long as I am connected to wifi.  The use of LTE is the issue.

• tidbits

what phone do you have?

• magenta4809502

It is an iPhone 6 with a new battery.

• tidbits

magenta4809502 wrote:

It is an iPhone 6 with a new battery.

I have a Android device and I am able to change my settings which you can't do on an iPhone.  I am running a hybrid IPv4/6 on my phone.  On the iPhone there is only support for IPv6.  Chances are the guys you use do not support a full IPv6 setup and that's what may be causing the problem.  When I get to work I will see if I can borrow an iPhone and test it and let you know my findings.

I don't work for T-Mobile if you are wondering

• magenta4809502

I appreciate your looking at it.

How did you get it to run on your android?  It is an ios only app.   If that is the case, since it is only available on ios, that would lead me to believe that it is ipv6. 

However, I would be lying if pretended to know the in and out of the 2 protocols.

I emailed the company last night to ask the ipv6 question.  I will post the answer when I hear back from them. They usually respond in a couple of days.

I wasn't wondering.  Seems like someone who just likes to troubleshoot.  I appreciate that.

Thanks,

• tidbits

magenta4809502 wrote:

I appreciate your looking at it.

How did you get it to run on your android? It is an ios only app. If that is the case, since it is only available on ios, that would lead me to believe that it is ipv6.

However, I would be lying if pretended to know the in and out of the 2 protocols.

I emailed the company last night to ask the ipv6 question. I will post the answer when I hear back from them. They usually respond in a couple of days.

I wasn't wondering. Seems like someone who just likes to troubleshoot. I appreciate that.

Thanks,

You are correct it is.  I was using something with a similar name.  I did try it on the iPhone at work.  Our Guest network is IPv6 and I couldn't get it to work however I did get it to work at a different office network which is IPv4/6.

I don't see anywhere where streamtome supports IPv6, but they should support it because Apple recently made it a requirement to support IPv6 or they will not publish the app in their store.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta4809502! Just wanted to check in here and see if you'd ever received a reply from that email you sent. Hoping that you were able to get some answers about this app!

• tmo_marissa

Hi, hi! Stopping in to check on this mystery app situation! Just wanted to see if there were any updates regarding the inquiry you sent to the app developers. Fingers crossed you're getting to the bottom of this!

• magenta4809502

They you for checking in.

I received a response yesterday.  I am going to include their message and also the iPv6 test that they suggested running.  I am not sure what the 4th part of the test entail or what I can do.

Hi ****,

Interesting response from T-Mobile.

Yes, the ServeToMe server supports IPv6 in the current version. The StreamToMe mostly supports IPv6 although due to a bug, it's a little tricky to manually enter an IPv6 address (you need to surround any IPv6 address in *two* sets of square brackets).

For example, if ServeToMe's external IPv4 address is:

then you can enter:

[[::ffff:123.45.67.89]]   I DID THIS, BUT IT DID NOT HELP THE ISSUE

as the manual address and StreamToMe will use IPv6 addressing. That's two open square brackets, two colon characters, four "f"s, another colon character, your IPv4 address then two closing square brackets. This address is called an IPv4 to IPv6 mapped address.

NOTE: the double square brackets is a bug. When manual IPv6 addresses are used in a URL, you are required to enclose it in square brackets – but StreamToMe's internal handling accidentally removes the *first* square brackets so you have to provide another layer of square brackets. After you finish entering the address, it will visually appear in StreamToMe with just 1 set of square brackets (the correct representation).

Your computer might have a true IPv6 address – not just a mapped IPv4 address. Visit:

http://test-ipv6.com

from your ServeToMe computer to see if it has a true IPv6 address. If it does, you can enter this address, surrounded by two square brackets (the "::ffff:" prefix is not required for true IPv6 addresses).

I'm curious to know if any of these steps will help.

If T-Mobile requires the ServeToMe server to have a true IPv6 address (not a mapped IPv4 address) then this is going to be very difficult. Most home users do not have an IPv6 address and the NAT feature in most routers (which allows incoming traffic to reach computers on the local network) does not normally support IPv6 either. Here's hoping that T-Mobile aren't expecting a completely IPv6 route to the server. This might be an acceptable requirement for a major data center but users aren't in control of the addresses their ISP assigns.

Regards,

Matt Gallagher.

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be

Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be MCI Communications Services, Inc. d/b/a Verizon Business

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6. [more info]

HTTPS support is now available on this site. [more info]

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]