Random Signal Dropping from full LTE

michigankev

My service plan has 4 lines - 3 voice and 1 hotspot. The voice lines are newer Motorola android phones and the tablet hotspot is a 2017 iPad Pro. All 4 are in different locations showing "good" or "excellent" LTE signal on the coverage map. For the first few months on the plan since switching to TMO, everything was gravy. Over the last several months however, all 4 devices will randomly drop signal while they have full bars and LTE. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Random Signal Dropping from full LTE

Hey, michigankev!

Welcome to our Support Community! Let's see if we can figure out what's going on since all 4 of your lines are having issues keeping a steady signal. When you say they're all in different locations, do you mean in the same house? Or are they more than 10 miles apart from each other? Can you provide me a zip code where this occurs? Lastly, can you tell me the exact model of your Motorola phones?

• michigankev

Hi tmo_amanda ,

Thanks for replying! The Ipad hotspot is the only device that does not leave the house. Two of the voice lines are in this household as well while the 3rd voice line is in another zip code just shy of 10 miles away. The voice lines have this issue at home as well as while we are at work but the two primary zip codes are 49713 and 49770. 49713 is the address with the two voice lines and hotspot which seems to have fewer instances of signal loss than 49770 where all three lines are located during the workday. Two of the Android phones are Motorola Moto G4's and the third is a Moto G5 Plus.

• tmo_amanda

Thanks for getting back to me with all that info, michigankev! I believe I figured out what's going on. The two areas that you referenced support only the 700mHz frequency. The Moto G4's have this frequency built in but the G5 plus does not. When calls are dropped is this usually while inside, outside, or in a vehicle? How long ago would you say this started?

• michigankev

Well, that would potentially explain the G5 but the frequency issue doesn't explain the identical issues with the Ipad Pro and the G4 phones. These issues occur both inside and outside. Coincidentally, it started a few months ago after a really nasty wind storm in the area but follow-up calls to tech support resulted in them telling me that the towers are working fine.

• tmo_amanda

You're right, that still doesn't solve the issue 3 out of 4 devices are having. With it starting after a storm, I'm wondering if the satellite just needs to be tilted a bit. When was the last time a ticket was filed with our Engineers? The only thing I can narrow dropping calls down to would be the network because 3/4 of the devices are compatible with the frequencies in the area.

• michigankev

I had a ticket filed no more than a week or two ago. When I messaged them for an update, I was told the issue would be closed because they could not diagnose it. Just so I'm clear though, the devices are not dropping calls. Rather, they are dropping signal altogether. Call dropping has never been an issue but the signal drops out frequently (several times a day on each device).

For the first couple months after the issue started, I had to restart the devices to get signal back. After visiting a local T-mobile store about the issue, they suggested turning airplane mode on then back off again instead of restarting. This also works to get signal back once it's been dropped.

• tmo_amanda

Ah, okay! Thanks for making that clear as day because I was on the "dropped call" route. How long do they typically lose signal? The airplane mode is a great work around but you shouldn't have to do that. I'd like to try something on the Moto G5 Plus'. Whenever you lose signal, can you see if the device can connect to our 2G network? You'll follow these steps whenever signal is lost:

1. From any Home screen, tap the All apps icon.
                                2. Tap Settings.
                                3. Under 'WIRELESS & NETWORKS," tap More... to display more options.
                                4. Tap Mobile networks.
                                5. Tap Preferred Network Selection.
                                6. Select 2G

Give that a shot and let me know if signal returns when switching network connections.

• michigankev

Hi Amanda,

Sorry for the delay, I tried to log in to MyTmobile online but it wouldn't let me yesterday. I did have a chance to try your suggestion a few times over the weekend but nothing happens. The phone does not gain signal back until I toggle airplane mode on and off again.

• tmo_amanda

Hmph. You have me stumped! If you put the SIM from the Moto G5 into the Moto G4, do you still have issues with signal dropping? I know you mentioned that you had a ticket filed a few weeks ago and they couldn't figure out why this was happening. Do you happen to have that ticket #? Lastly, have you tried disabling WiFi calling?

• tmo_chris

Checking to see how things are going. Please let us know if you still need any help.