Individual Message Notification Removed Last Update

magenta1521795

My favorite and most used Feature on my phone was the ability to select different message tones for different people, just like what can be done for the calls. It was there for years and this last software upgrade (questionable upgrade) seems to have deleted that and if its not replaced I will be searching to find a new carrier that provides this feature!!!

Anyone know if there is any idea if there is any effort to repkace this in the future?

Another Feature that I liked but not a deal breaker was the ability to select which app to open with a link and that I could do it for ONE time or always, now it forces one to pick and I usually am not familiar with the different apps to want to pick an Always one! Yes I know it can be changed but it was much better not to have to as I most always choose the One time feature! The other part I don't like is that there was no way to Search for the app you wanted if not visible in the popup box, like clicking on a UPS link and my UPS app wasn't there forcing me to select some app I didn't want!!!

All replies

• tidbits

Samsung removed it on all their devices with 8.0 or higher update so you can switch to any carrier you want, but you will have the same results.

As for the second thing you are looking for

settings --> apps --> 3 dot menu (upper right) --> default apps

tap on Default app selections and select ask before defaulting.

• magenta1521795

First of all thanks for the info, I had called T Mobile before and asked if that update was their doing and was told Yes, so i Assumed it was not from Samsung! I don't understand Samsung removing a feature already programmed in and working, could understand them not adding a feature but not taking one out already in the software! By any chance do you know if there is any idea of them putting that back, can't believe I'm the only one disappointed by that removal. Do you know where I could write or call directly to request this reinstated, where it will actuall reach someone that matters?

On the second issue I had no problem following your clear instructions however I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but I'm guessing thqt it still won't let me search for App's not in the popup window but at least it won't force me to default an app!

• tidbits

magenta1521795 wrote:

First of all thanks for the info, I had called T Mobile before and asked if that update was their doing and was told Yes, so i Assumed it was not from Samsung! I don't understand Samsung removing a feature already programmed in and working, could understand them not adding a feature but not taking one out already in the software! By any chance do you know if there is any idea of them putting that back, can't believe I'm the only one disappointed by that removal. Do you know where I could write or call directly to request this reinstated, where it will actuall reach someone that matters?

On the second issue I had no problem following your clear instructions however I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but I'm guessing thqt it still won't let me search for App's not in the popup window but at least it won't force me to default an app!

When updating any UI changes requires testing as well as additional coding.  People complaining about updates not happening at lightning speeds is the main reason why OEMs would remove features.  Motorola for example completely removed 90% of Motoblur as an example, and some of their features I loved.  Best you can do is get everyone to hound Samsung to put it back in, but don't expect it any time soon.

What happens it will let you choose which available app to open whatever it is, and you can choose once or default.  You may have to clear all defaults because you may have already defaulted a few apps.