Branched to a new discussion.

T-Mobile merging with Sprint?

captcoolhand

I just read the headline that T-Mobile is closer to merging with Sprint. Is this true??? I hope not!!!
    I think Sprint is bad business for the price they charge.

All replies

• cesaribenitez95

Re: T-Mobile merging with Sprint???

DT (Deutsche Telekom is the parent company of T-mobile usa) is belived to hold 40% of holding of the combine company, and will have 61% of the controlling vote. So Softbank won't have the power to dismantle and shame the company as they did with Nextel Communication INC / Nextel partners.

• magenta3227987

I hope it doesn't happen

I DON'T like Sprint either. I will have to find a new cell phone provider

• joe1994

Two questions. First will this improve coverage if T-Mobile and Sprint merge? I know with T-Mobile here in Las Vegas I have a problem with dead zones. Sometimes I can take a few steps and coverage drops. I am also getting ready to start a job which requires frequent travel.

My second question is will this merger increases phone selection? I personally think the selection by both stink but Sprint has a few more choices like the Honor phone

• tidbits

It depends.  Some areas where T-Mobile has 5x5 and Sprint may have 10x10 or better in that area could see better overall speeds. 

Selection for phones all stink, BUT I think buying them outright away from carriers is better, but that's a personal opinion.

• cesaribenitez95

One of at first, due to the fact that they use diffent bands and network protocols. But as they consulate the networks it should improve. Also carriers have contracts with phone manufacturer to carry certain number of phone models.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • joe1994

So basically to remain with T-Mobile means a lack of choices for phones, all T-Mobile offers is a lot of Samsung and Apple (oh joy) one flagship ship LG phone the V30 one mid range LG phone the G6one HTC phone and two moto phones. Beyond that the only choices are prepaid.

• barcodeable

https://allfor5g.com/

It is official that Sprint and T-Mobile came to an agreement to Merge the two companies.... but the Government has to approve this merger for it to become 100% Official

i have Sprint & T-mobile.... once i start getting the coverage Sprint provides on my T-Mobile lines.... i will have no use for my limited Sprint Line !!!!!!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • newhere

Interesting, since I just switched from Sprint's prepaid service (Virgin Mobile) to T-Mobile postpaid (T-Mobile One) two weeks ago.

It's likely to be months or more before we see much change. First, the government will have to approve this. Then, we'll have to see what happens to the 2 carriers networks. T-Mobile is well-positioned with 700 MHz that they recently bought from Verizon, plus the new 600 MHz spectrum they bought. T-Mobile and Sprint use different LTE bands: Sprint uses LTE bands 25, 26, and 41; T-Mobile uses 2, 4, 12, 66, and 71 (new 600 MHz), and 5 I think (I think 5 may be via a roaming agreement, though).  No phone today has all these bands. The iPhone is close, with all but 71. Many Android phones are built to carrier's specs, with only the bands needed for that carrier. So existing Sprint phones may only work on the old Sprint parts of the network, and T-Mobile phones may only have coverage on the old T-Mobile parts of the network.  The combined carrier is going to have to decide whether all the bands of both continue to be used, as well as how to move to 5G, and new phones will have to support those bands.  Both carriers bands will likely remain in use for quite some time, due to all the existing phones out there that depend on those bands. This means we may need new phones eventually, which is actually nothing new, technology changes, and was going to anyway when 5G rolls out.  Since most people upgrade at least every few years, there will be a long transition while networks and phones adapt to changes.

As for my move, I'm pretty much happy with T-Mobile so far. I moved mainly due to coverage issues with Sprint (Virgin Mobile), including weak signal at my own house (T-Mobile is much better). T-Mobile however doesn't penetrate the large building where I work as well. My Virgin Mobile phone would often drop from 4G to 3G inside that building; T-Mobile is 4G or nothing (but since I have Wifi available, it's actually 4G or Wifi with T-Mobile, which actually works just fine).  Otherwise, so far in 2 weeks I've found T-Mobile's coverage to be generally better than what I had, although I've found one area where T-Mobile's coverage map shows I should have coverage, but I actually couldn't get signal.  I bought the LG V30 for the new 600 MHz band 71 as it rolls out, as well as because it has bands useful for international roaming, such as 3, 7, and 20 that are common in Europe (included support for international roaming is the 2nd reason I switched to the T-Mobile One postpaid plan).  I'm going to assume that 600MHz band 71 is going to continue to roll out even with this merger, since it has advantages for coverage over the higher frequency bands, and T-Mobile isn't going to want to turn back on its investment in this band.

• tidbits

newhere wrote:

Interesting, since I just switched from Sprint's prepaid service (Virgin Mobile) to T-Mobile postpaid (T-Mobile One) two weeks ago.

It's likely to be months or more before we see much change. First, the government will have to approve this. Then, we'll have to see what happens to the 2 carriers networks. T-Mobile is well-positioned with 700 MHz that they recently bought from Verizon, plus the new 600 MHz spectrum they bought. T-Mobile and Sprint use different LTE bands: Sprint uses LTE bands 25, 26, and 41; T-Mobile uses 2, 4, 12, 66, and 71 (new 600 MHz), and 5 I think (I think 5 may be via a roaming agreement, though). No phone today has all these bands. The iPhone is close, with all but 71. Many Android phones are built to carrier's specs, with only the bands needed for that carrier. So existing Sprint phones may only work on the old Sprint parts of the network, and T-Mobile phones may only have coverage on the old T-Mobile parts of the network. The combined carrier is going to have to decide whether all the bands of both continue to be used, as well as how to move to 5G, and new phones will have to support those bands. Both carriers bands will likely remain in use for quite some time, due to all the existing phones out there that depend on those bands. This means we may need new phones eventually, which is actually nothing new, technology changes, and was going to anyway when 5G rolls out. Since most people upgrade at least every few years, there will be a long transition while networks and phones adapt to changes.

As for my move, I'm pretty much happy with T-Mobile so far. I moved mainly due to coverage issues with Sprint (Virgin Mobile), including weak signal at my own house (T-Mobile is much better). T-Mobile however doesn't penetrate the large building where I work as well. My Virgin Mobile phone would often drop from 4G to 3G inside that building; T-Mobile is 4G or nothing (but since I have Wifi available, it's actually 4G or Wifi with T-Mobile, which actually works just fine). Otherwise, so far in 2 weeks I've found T-Mobile's coverage to be generally better than what I had, although I've found one area where T-Mobile's coverage map shows I should have coverage, but I actually couldn't get signal. I bought the LG V30 for the new 600 MHz band 71 as it rolls out, as well as because it has bands useful for international roaming, such as 3, 7, and 20 that are common in Europe (included support for international roaming is the 2nd reason I switched to the T-Mobile One postpaid plan). I'm going to assume that 600MHz band 71 is going to continue to roll out even with this merger, since it has advantages for coverage over the higher frequency bands, and T-Mobile isn't going to want to turn back on its investment in this band.

Actually any phone in the last 2 years support all those bands.  They are disabled via software not hardware restrictions.

• newhere

If what you're saying is true, at least for some phones, I wonder if they'll push out a software updates to enable the bands for the combined carriers?  I imagine this might not be true for every phone. I believe my old Virgin Mobile phone doesn't have all the bands. It was totally impossible to use that for international roaming, both because it was locked, and because it was a CDMA phone, with I think just Sprint's 3 LTE bands.  I think if possible, the combined company would probably like to consolidate bands, if possible. As-is, they'll have some redundancy in towers to cover the same areas on multiple bands. They might also like to use some of those bands for 5G when that comes out.

• tidbits

newhere wrote:

If what you're saying is true, at least for some phones, I wonder if they'll push out a software updates to enable the bands for the combined carriers? I imagine this might not be true for every phone. I believe my old Virgin Mobile phone doesn't have all the bands. It was totally impossible to use that for international roaming, both because it was locked, and because it was a CDMA phone, with I think just Sprint's 3 LTE bands. I think if possible, the combined company would probably like to consolidate bands, if possible. As-is, they'll have some redundancy in towers to cover the same areas on multiple bands. They might also like to use some of those bands for 5G when that comes out.

For reference  RF Technologies | Connectors & Solutions | Qualcomm

CDMA doesn't matter.  All carriers are planning to kill their 2G and 3G networks by 2020 and focus on LTE and 5G technologies to replace them.

• newhere

This issue of bands also brings up that Sprint was a CDMA carrier, but T-Mobile was not. That difference becomes less important as everything moves to LTE, but it remains a key difference.  I wonder what they have to do in the merger to deal with that?  CDMA may go away entirely someday, but then any of Sprint's old CDMA phones will have to be replaced?  I guess there were issues like that with the Sprint/Nextel merger.  Sprint's old WiMax network got phased out too.

• newhere

I just watched an announcement video from T-Mobile's and Sprint's CEOs. They said a lot about the capabilities with their combined networks having enough network capacity (frequency spectrum, or bands) to go to 5G.  This is good, and will cost a lot, and the combined companies will be in a better position to lead on this than either one alone.  That all sounds great.

I just hope this doesn't change the current plans to add coverage on 4G using T-Mobile's new 600 MHz band 71. I bought the LG V30 in part because of this plan (it has that new band), to be ahead of the curve and be ready to use it as soon as it comes online.  My area is scheduled to get this next year.  Other areas I travel to occasionally will get it this year.

Merging Sprint and T-Mobile's networks, and adding 5G, means a lot of network changes will have to happen.  I'll be interested how they plan to pull this off.

• a.chavez

Re: T-Mobile merging with Sprint?

i fully support the merger they are offering better coverage and the prices wont go up for the merger this is the best thing that can happen and it will keep t-mobile strong especially since most place where u don't get t-mobiles coverage  sprint usually has coverage there so it will be a lot better for overall coverage nationwide